Global warming up

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 15th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. T.C.

T.C. Well-Known Member

So where is the disaster going to occur? Certainly not agriculture. The world continues to warm, as it has for 400 years and the end of the little ice age. And rainfall continues to increase. No new advances now in farming for 20 years since GM crops were introduced. Land area under cultivation continues to decrease as urbanisation encroaches. Yet we see an average of 40 million tonnes of new extra food grown every year.

[​IMG]

Increased CO2 levels are turbocharging production. It seems like new records are set more years than not.

Wheat Production Sets New Records Thanks To Global Warming

The whole thing is laughable. How anyone can claim we are headed for a disaster when the facts and figures are right in front of us, I am dumbfounded?

See ya's.

Last edited: 18th Dec, 2015
    Phar Lap and Bayview like this.
  2. THX

THX Well-Known Member

True but I didn't mean like living next door, I meant more it has to be of a geographical possibility.

Yep they have been reprocessing fuel for awhile, and advancements in recycling are continuing. Processing of Used Nuclear Fuel

3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Do you live near a power plant?

I don't; air is fine.

Hourly air quality data table | EPA Victoria

I lived in L.A for 2 years; lots more cars than here, so air not as good....but that's cars, not power plant. But then you drive up the PCH for an hour into the unknown...air is great again. It's all localised and made into some big Armageddon by the alarmists...like showing a clip of a big chunk of ice falling off a glacier and so on.

The whole thrust of the anti-fossil fule etc argument is about/has been about Global Warming.

It has been shown that a reduction in the entire world's efforts to reduce the Carbon Emmissions will produce virtually no change...in the 1000th's of a degree range....if all the Countries' emmissions were stopped it would possibly - possibly reduce the temp by only in the hundreths of a degree (someone will argue that this insignificant improvement can have a large effect...Adelaide's temp will vary by 18 degrees in 24 hours this weekend. Now; come on folks.

But now; GW is all about air pollution. (Arnie's latest rant included).

Meanwhile, down at Morwell, Traralgon and so on; not too bad at all. Localised issue at best if it (air pollution from power plant) happens....folks still continue to live there and stay alive. I've been travelling down there to play golf Pro-Ams for decades..maybe the air pollution is the blame of my terrible golf down there :p:eek:

See; this is where I rear my ugly head all the time on these discussions; the arguments keep changing, the amount of alarm is really high over not much...

And at the end of the day; the world keeps on pumpin' out more millions of citizens every year...and no-one has a problem with that.

There's yer first steps; reverse the population growth for a few hundred years, stop driving cars, flying in aeroplanes and helicopters etc, and keep on planting trees.

Should we look to alternative fuel and energy? Of course, but as always there is an economic aspect to consider which will also affect everyone.

Solar panels for eg; they are expensive to produce, require lots of components which are manufactured and from resources out of the ground; steel and glass etc, have a finite lifespan, and generally not affordable by yer average Mr and Mrs.Thong who may just happen to have a stronger ecological moral conscience; so they don't buy them...add to that their diminishing incentives via credits, and most folks are thinking; "Why bother?"

Hydro? Sure; get is past the Greenies first, who keep finding some weird and wonderful species of mould or whatever in the river bank that needs protecting and so on... then there's the cost of the unlimited pipelines required to disperse it..all needing money that Gubbs don't have...

Last edited: 20th Dec, 2015
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'd ask China and India about air quality from pollution not being that bad. I've been in Mexico City, where the visibility was 100m. I didn't even realise there were mountains surrounding the place until one sunset when the sunset sillhouetted them.

Arnie wasn't saying that it's all about pollution. He's saying that even if you don't believe in GW- and he does- that there are also other factors, like pollution and a finite life to fossil fuel.

Hydro has been in Australia for some 60 years. But it does involve a big investment for a long term cost benefit. In a country with limited water suppliers there's a limit as to how much can be produced while still keeping the rest of a thirsty country happy.

Like many technologies, solar is becoming more practical and more affordable as its popularity grows. Batteries for storing solar output are becoming more practical, but it will take a few years yet before they become a cost effective solution.

I've not been a fan of nuclear due to waste disposal problems- but I see a previous poster in this thread has stated that technology is helping in this thread. It appears to have a way to go, but it has come a long way. If and when accidents and waste disposal problems are addressed it may become more viable. They do however require a very large up front investment.

You've mentioned planting more trees. Well, they could stop burning them down in Borneo and the Amazon for a start. But wait. We need the oil and timber.

I haven't addressed everything you've said, so I'll probably be accused (again) of not answering everything you've raised. Sorry.

radson likes this.
  5. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

I was just readying on news.com.au about global climate change:
    How the Earth will look in 10,000 years

People can't work out what the stock market will do in 2 days or what the weather will be like reliably in 2 weeks, yet they can make calls about what the world will be like in a couple of hundred years?? Think back to August 2001 and tell me that everything that has happened since then could have been predicted accurately, and that was only 15 years ago.