Global warming - or mini ice age?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 1st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Perthguy and EN710 like this.
  2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not that many weeks back we were still having nice sunny days in Sydney.
    I believe it's called Winter.

Bayview likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

When is global warming going to hurry up and get rid of winter once and for all! ! **** or get off the pot! :mad:

*edit global warming / climate change nfi.

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yep; it has been a cold start to our Melb winter so far (notice it a lot in the workshop) - but as a skier, I love to see it get cold and wet - more white stuff!! (there is a decent chunk of it up at Buller atm, so fingers crossed it continues).

Will be smashin' it next weekend if the weather continues like this.

However; I have seen these sorts of early cold snaps before, get all excited for a terrific and long ski season, only to see a bit of rain and milder temps come back and wash it all away....or no falls for weeks and then skiiing on hard packed ice and rubbish.

And, vice versa; a mild start, then massive dumps and skiing well into Sept, and even Oct! So, don't let all this early weather fool you.

But look at this donkey:

Flannery fibs excuses for his dud predictions - Andrew Bolt

Two things to take note of with this "expert's" dialogue;
    1. Calls Climate Change a warming (mentions 2 degrees of warming as CC at about 36.20)
    2. Avoids answering the question of how much of drop in temp will occur in degrees by XYZ date - by reversing it and answering with how much will it continue to rise if nothing is done (at approx 36.50)....interesting that someone who raises questions - is immediately labelled a "denier".

So; which is it; Climate Change, or Global Warming?
    So; what is the answer to the direct question; how much of a drop in temps will we expect to see with all these emmissions schemes and actions?
    So; for balance; why was Andrew Bolt (or indeed; anyone who is not a warmist and/or alarmist to raise questions) not on the stage participating in the discussion?

And another ripper; at 40.00 - First; Anne refers to the audience as "we need to answer the deniers who say the temps haven't increased for 17 years" - the whole audience is a warmist echo-chamber....

and then; Tim makes the statement referring to "The heat is going into the oceans and warming the water, and at some point will come back out and warm the air"...

Now; I may not be a scientist, but wouldn't it make sense that for the heat to exit the water back into the air; wouldn't the air had to have cooled down again in order to transfer back the other way? :confused: Science experts on this forum please explain.

I mean; based on what Tim has said; in order for the water to heat up in the first place, wouldn't the air have to get hotter, therefore allowing a heat transfer into the cooler water?

He also talks about how Perth now has 2 desal plants (which he suggested they build; according to him), and this now provides 30% of the water Perth uses....um; so the other 70% comes from....where?

Could it be the dams which are now full of water?...from the rain which was never going to fill them again?

See; this is why folks like me call out these people....not because we are deniers per se; but because folks like Tim and Al Gore etc talk plain rubbish.

Here's another for your entertainment...keep asking questions, folks;
    When will Tim Flannery say sorry? - Andrew Bolt

If you have nothing much planned, and feel like a good laugh; read all these:
    Google

My prediction; No mini ice age; but definitely not 7 storey high water level rises either...Timbo predicted this too - yet owns a house on the Hawkesbury river, with his own private jetty...I guess when he sells and moves to higher ground; this is when we all need to start worrying.

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2016
    Perthguy likes this.
  5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

No complaints up here in Noosa - 22 degrees and the beer is cold :)

Bayview likes this.
  6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

@Bayview my understanding is that oceans are a huge carbon sink... and climate change will reduce its ability to store carbon.

We had a super long summer here in Tassie. Only started getting cold in May.

Bur serious. .. this is called weather... weather changes... long term trends is where it is then climate change

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Yes - know it's called winter ... did any of you read the attached article.

The sun goes through cycles of surface activity - and currently we're entering a cycle of minimal, to zero, sun spots ... which significantly affects the climate. The same as excess sun spots affect the climate.

Last time the sun has the minimal sun spot activity we are apparently heading into was the mini ice age of 1917

Perthguy and EN710 like this.
  8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Warmer than average in FNQ unfortunately. Can only now over the last 2 weeks sit in the lounge room without a fan on in the middle of the day comfortably.:mad:

9. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Scientists say there is an effect on climate but it is not significant. One likened it to someone turning on a torch under the lights at the MCG.

10. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

It's always cold in tassie!

Bayview likes this.
  11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

LOL!

We get loads of oldies whining about our summer down our way - it is at best - half a dozen days or so over 35, and you might get say; 4 in a row over that during a really hot summer...then the usual cool change with a storm behind it at the end of the 4 day "heat wave".

My instinct is to tell them to travel on out to Hobart if they don't like the heat; but I bite my tongue.

Greyghost likes this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I hope that is true. We are freezing our asses off in Perth. If it got colder than this during solar min, I would have to move to Brisbane.

Bayview likes this.
  13. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

As a point of interest from space.com:

The temperature in the photosphere is about 5,500 degrees C. It is here that the sun's radiation is detected as sunlight. Sunspots on the photosphere are cooler and darker than the surrounding area. At the center of big sunspots the temperature can be as low as 4,000 degrees C.

The chromosphere, the next layer of the sun's atmosphere is a bit cooler — about 4,320 degrees C. Visible light from the chromosphere is usually too weak to be seen against the brighter photosphere, but during total solar eclipses, when the moon covers the photosphere, the chromosphere can be seen as a red rim around the sun.

Temperatures rise dramatically in the corona, which can also only be seen during an eclipse as plasma streams outward like points on a crown. The corona can get about 2 million degrees C. As the corona cools, losing heat and radiation, matter is blown off as the solar wind.

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's a balmy -1.2 C here - snow depth should break the 1 m mark this week. [​IMG]

Bayview likes this.