Glenorchy - Tasmania capital growth?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by J&E, 15th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. J&E

J&E Active Member

Hi all,

What is everyone's view of potential capital growth in Glenorchy Tasmania in 2017 and beyond?

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Glenorchy -
    Riverfront/waterviews? +
    View of power station? -
    Character home? +
    Cold Ugly houses -
    A long way away from the CBD (by Hobart standards) -
    Bunnings, Mona +

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Non major cities have different views on what is "too far" from the city.

My brother moved from Brisbane to Maryborough (qld) many years ago. Locals were horrified when he bought acreage in Tinana. The common cry was "but it will take you 10 minutes to get to town"!!!

Glenorchy may(or may not) be just too far?
    Marg

4. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

I'm originally from Tassie but moved interstate a few years ago! My family is based around West Moonah so we still get the benefit of people from Glenorchy. They also have two shopping centres called Northgate and Glenorchy central too. The traffic to the city have improved in recent times after the roads works ceased on Liverpool st. It takes about 15 mins to drive into the city which is alright!

5. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

What are the demographics of Glenorchy? Where would these people usually work? There are a number of manufacturing style plants into the northern suburbs.

6. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

I think a majority are working class who works in the area - Not a significant amount of people would work in the city. Retail, manufacturing, tradies, teachers, hospitality and labourers would make up a majority of the employed. It does have a high unemployment rate, but I've lived there for the first two decades of my life without too much issues!

7. Chris Au

Great @Pentanol . Like many cities, it appears that the northern suburbs have a larger manufacturing focus, which if fine depending on the economy.

8. Pipeclay

Pipeclay Active Member

I'd look elsewhere. Ie in West Moonah/Lutana (Southern) Lenah Valley or over the river - Lindisfarne/Geilston Bay /Howrah (not bordering Rokeby/Glebe Hill). Hobart is small enough for good suburbs to border less than salubrious areas so make sure you check out the area.

Glenorchy has a higher unemployment and crime rate than many other parts of Hobart and is definitely working class.

The other areas would attract young families out priced in the more central established suburbs. The aforementioned suburbs are slowly gentrifying with the younger crowd coming.

Cheers

9. Chris Au

What price point is the OP looking at?