NSW Glenmore Park, Emu Plains, Lower Blue Mountains

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dabbler, 17th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Ok,

So what do you think of these areas.

What is it like to live in these areas ? We travel West a lot, sometimes North and less so South, may do a stint in any property if we bought, so wont be an old Fibro place, will only be approx 10/15mins extra for me to get to work.

A decade ago would not have gone anywhere near these places, but West Sydney is growing.

What are your thoughts on any pull back, seems Glenmore park residents may be younger with good income ?

Ok, fire away and tell me how nuts I am :)

bob shovel likes this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Check the medians, I'd say they have peaked but may be some slight movements up over the next 5 years especially with the airport.

Is this this full time ppor or soon to be ip?

Personally I'd go leonay, emu (good shopping centre)
    South penrith/jamo
    glenbrook (expensive city slickers got in there! :p )
    Also lapstone is a dark horse hidden away.
    I'm not a fan of Glenmore park, it's a rabbit warren in there. If you do look, "stage 1" is the preferred for locals as it's the quickest out! Mulgoa rd end

Penrith has the stigma of being the "western suburbs" and "bogans" etc but it's not that bad. There's bogans everywhere! You can also stereotype and say it's hard working blue collar friendly folk. Recently it's had a revival and some better restaurants and cafes etc which it's been screaming for! Check out lewers gallery cafe and the tapas place upstairs in high street.
    Council and tourism is labelling it the "adventure capital" -there's whit water rafting, indoor sky diving, a bunch of other stuff i can't think of right now :oops:

The river is getting a face lift with parks walking tracks etc and also a new pedestrian bridge over it.
    Also panthers have lots of "stuff in the works" ! Big player in penrith growing imo. There's draft plans to demolish the fast food crap on mulgoa rd and have office spaces, restaurant strip, seniors living and units. (I'm holding out for blocks close to panthers to be re zoned for medium density or along those lines:cool:)

How's that brief summary?

Phantom, Brian84 and inspiredbyprop like this.
  3. dabbler

If buying to live in, it will be for a 3-5 year stint most likely. It would maybe become an IP if things go to hell, or getting in and out becomes too annoying or some other op pops up :). Really want to stick to 650ish

I also the council understands the entry/exit needs improving.

Basically to do a move needs to be, 650ish and decent block, reasonably modern house with insulation (I am not living in an oven where there is no sea breeze), access to the block, pref double garage and ensuite, but that is not a deal breaker, the block access is.

For the market out in these areas, for re sale and rent, what do tenants mainly want, I would think 3 or 4 bed and ensuite, as seems younger persons area in Glenmore, not sure about Emu plains or the Lower Blue Mountains.

Need to have a stickybeak at Leonay (maybe you can get a place with river views ?)

4. newbie1234

newbie1234 Active Member

We live in Glenmore Park, built a place 4 years a go in the new part Glenmore Ridge. The main issue with GP is the awful roads going in and out, it's a maze. We have a seperate road to the main part so we are happy.

They are upgrading the town centre to include Aldi and Coles, should open next year. There was meant to be a shopping centre in Glenmore ridge but that hasn't gone ahead so far. Woolworths here is one of the most expensive in Sydney apparently, I try to avoid going there because the current car park is terrible and their fruit and vegetables aren't really that fresh.

It's a nice enough area, people are supposedly on higher income here. The local public high school has a awful reputation though, wouldn't send my kids there which is unfortunate because the primary schools are quite good.

Access to the M4 is good, they are upgrading the Northern Rd at the moment so should be a lot smoother when that is done.

Am worried about airport noise when/if badgerys creek gets built. Flight path may affect Glenmore park.

We have a low vacancy rate in the area and overall it's a nice part of Penrith.

Hope that helps!

5. newbie1234

newbie1234 Active Member

If you're looking for a resonable block size stay away from the new part Glenmore Rigde, Mulgoa Rise and Bradley Heights - most blocks are small (mine is 400 Sqm) and if you want something bigger you'll pay through the nose. It's about $1000 per Sqm now for a block.

The older parts of GP have go sized yards with side access so I'd look there. In that price range you should still pick up a nice house with all that you need.

6. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

I have a house in Emu Heights and its a great area to live, feels like your in the blue mountains.
    Nice quite area with good people and you can definitely find a place in Emu Plains or Emu Heights within your budget.

7. bob shovel

650ish is a reasonable price, may struggle in emu and leonay esp if you want an Ensuite . But that price easy rent and resale You might need to start with "river glimpses"

Do you want a "younger persons area"? I'm a younger person it's not the area for me :)

8. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Glenmore park will have great access to the second airport if it goes ahead. What are you looking to spend roughly? Also keep in mind some of the lower mountains will be part of the proposed airports flight path.

9. dabbler

The flight paths at the moment are proposed, looks like Blacktown gets smashed by both incoming and take off ?

I think they will be height enough not to be overly noisey, I think longest stint in any one place has been about 5 years, so not likely to bother me & you can't have the benefits the airport will bring without having aircraft.

On an off topic note, I think it is very poorly placed, I would hate to fly somewhere and then need to bus or train an hour + to get to the city or coast, feel sorry for anyone landing and leaving airport at 8am going to city ! Also the flight paths look stupid to me, the could improve them I think, I am not into flight path planning, but they are probably doing in a way that pilots will be able to identify where they are easily instead of flying over parks/forest, not sure how high they will be over blaxland and glen brook etc but will be pretty high above penrith, Blacktown will be about 700m from what I read, not sure on take off what heights will be.

Do you get to Emu Heights from Emu plains, or further up the highway ?

Is Emu plains better regarded or Leonay ?

What do you mean easy rent and resale, in both areas, all council area ? seems not too quick/hot to me, glenbrook etc seems to move quick.

re water glimpses, I have had a few agents saying some inland regionals had "water views" , you could see a dam ! lol

10. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

If you are going to the Sydney city or coast then you obviously fly into Kingsford Smith airport. This is the second airport, its not replacing Sydney's main airport..

11. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

It'll be great for people flying in to see the blue mountains or going on interstate adventures.

12. Inov8ive

Yep great for all the people who live anywhere west of Parramatta as well

13. bob shovel

:eek: don't move to western sydney before its built! Penrith to airport close to 2hrs in peak hour. Location makes sense to me

Penrith has eased last 6 months. Boom has slowed significantly. Lower blue is getting the ripple and heading up the hill

14. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

In my opinion Leonay would be one of the more desirable areas to live.
    Yes you do go through or past Emu Plains to get to Emu Heights and personally I'd have to agree with @bob shovel and his last comment, probably not the best time to buy there and the M4 is just bad.

15. bob shovel

When are you looking at moving to the greater West @dabbler ?
    @Darren
    West syd meetup at leonay golf club in the new year? :D

16. dabbler

re the airport.....

Well, of course people visit the mountains, they get a shuttle bus from their city hotel !

How many tourist book and stay out West - not that many I would wager, the icons are all in the city and around the harbour area & Kingsford operates with a curfew, so I guess all the planes landing west with people booked in the city will do what, besides bus it or bus and train for 1hr + :eek:

That won't change IMO

re moving there or buying, I know timing may be wrong, but I looked at a few places that sold say 8 years ago and the increase is not stellar, it is clearly a growing area, so any pull back will probably be forgotten a few years later, I do not think any drop would be huge by my scale of things, and have no set time or any pressure, it could be soon or may end up being just a lot more informed about the whole area, which never hurts.

17. bob shovel

Over that time should have increased 70%+ if not more

You fly there to avoid the city and traffic, and to get to parra or the blue mountains. Mascot is a **** spot
    What do people use Melbourne's second airport for??
    There's a lot of places outside of "Sydney city"

18. Inov8ive

You are not getting it. Why would someone fly into Badgerys Creek if they were staying in the CBD? They wouldn't, they would just continue to use the main Sydney airport. This is the second airport that will benefit everybody else who live west of Parramatta. Tourists are not the only people flying in and out of Sydney believe it or not

19. dabbler

Yeah, I don't get it, not interested in arguing the toss with you really.

There is, but not to most travelers from OS, either way, they will want to see the city, and as it is, straight on a train or shuttle bus and your at central or the Quay in 30mins or so, this is the Badgery problem I see, there is no good services there now and when they do do a train, it will be a patch up job and my guess will be min an hour travel to anywhere, the mountains or, the likely target, the city, of course this wont apply to locals using domestic services

Inov8ive likes this.
  20. Inov8ive

Glad you agree that you don't get it;) You clearly don't.