Gift idea for a French family

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Depreciator, 14th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

One of my girls is going to France at the end of the month for a 6 week exchange with a French family. Their daughter stayed with us earlier this year for 6 weeks. When she arrived, she had a couple of thoughtful gifts for us from her parents. They sent some foie gras and a local ceramic thing (my wife is a ceramicist, so they had done their homework). We need to send some gifts over, but I'm stumped for ideas.
    The gifts can't be too heavy or bulky, because my daughter has a 23 kilo limit on an internal flight. They need to be Australian, without being naff - they're both lawyers.
    Scott

Redwing likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Something made of Australian wood a bowl or small box.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

A nice photographic calendar for next year depicting australian landscapes would be nice. My Mum always takes those and a photo book but they tend to be a bit heavier.
    I probably wouldn't take food so she doesn't have to declare anything on arrival.

5. Depreciator

Food, or other stuff?
    I had the idea of sending a bottle of good Australian wine, but the response to that idea was, 'A bit heavy, dad. And they have a winery.'

6. Scott No Mates

7. Depreciator

I could knock up something in my shed.

8. Depreciator

Lots of stuff in the Balmain store. I might have to brave the Balmain weekend traffic.
    I like the idea of a calendar, Westminster. I could find one of them in the city.

Westminster likes this.
  9. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

When my DD was billeted in the USA I sent vintage Australian linen tea towels and a tablecloth and Australian lollies, Minties, Fantales etc. you can get beautiful vintage pure linen tea towels depicting Australian landscapes in the op shop, un used. Or, really good quality t shirts or a tasteful merino wool throw?

Shogun likes this.
  10. Depreciator

Tasteful tea towels are a good idea.

11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

If you have good woodworking skills a hand made gift is the best.

My Uncle used to make very high quality turned bowls, candle stick holders pens etc That is what made me think of a, wood gift

Last edited: 14th Nov, 2019
    Propin likes this.
  12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'd probably keep it simple and functional/usable - a small collection of Tim Tams, Vegemite (but it could be wasted if they dont like it), Anzac biscuits, Kangaroo jerky, Australian organic chocolate like Green and Black's, the aussie Calendar, and maybe a pair of Uggs (not cheap though).

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Not sure what France's quarantine rules are like. If it's like ours, they may confiscate it.

14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

People used to bring naff wooden carvings from Bali all the time. Quarantine just inspects for signs of insect damage. I have brought wood back from US without problem

15. Westminster

16. Jam

Jam Member

I haven't spent any time in France outside of ski holidays, but I've lived extensively all over the world. I'd not recommend the usual Australian sweets and Tim Tams, and especially not Vegemite. European chocolate is miles ahead of most stuff you find in Australia, and Vegemite is like a novelty gag gift that nobody overseas in their right mind would eat. I say this because every time I've come back from an Oz visit with Australian biscuits or sweets, nobody is impressed. The last load of biscuits that I brought back to the office 2 months ago hasn't been finished, and I ate half of them. Vegemite has such a bad rap overseas that nobody from any office I've ever worked in will touch it.

The self-made wooden bowl idea sounds perfect. It's much more personal than buying something from a shop, and even better if made out of a wood native to Australia.

European quarantine concerns are practically nonexistent compared to Australia.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

If they haven't caught the disease over there, it doesn't exist. Customs clearance in the EU is alot easier than here.

18. Depreciator

My kids take Tim Tams etc overseas when they travel, but they are invariably given to other kids. And kids are kids the world over. My wife will have something she has made in her studio - cheese plate, perhaps. There is a good calendar on the Aust Geo site - I don't think they have shops anymore.

19. Westminster

20. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

As long as it's a great quality wine, I'd suggest that would an ideal gift for a winery owner.

I agree that Tim Tams are always a solid choice. Maybe not in Europe but definitely in the USA. Adults seem to like them more than the kids.