Ghosts

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Kelvin Cunnington, 12th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I don’t believe it’s ghosts. But I think we as humans are interconnected in a such way that when our physical existence ceases, those who are close to us still experience our presence.

After my grandad died, apparently me and my brother (his only grandchildren) would tell mom “Granddad did this, grandad did that”. She put it down to us using it as coping mechanism. I don’t think we cared because we didn’t understand death then.

Apparently we went to visit my Aunty once and mom forgot the iron on. As they were rushing back to switch it of, we the kids went “Don’t worry, Grandad took care off it”. They iron board and iron were out, but iron was unplugged.

Neither me nor my brother remember any of that. I only remember that when grandad died, I’ve been seeing word **** in mirrors for a while....

Go figure. I still don’t think it’s ghosts. I think our minds are much more powerful and have more acutely tuned up sensors than we know. Sometimes our minds are capable of amazing things. Just like when you believe something will make you sick. It truly makes you sick. And vice versa.

truong and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. We misunderstand how our brains work so much. For example, we like to think of our memory working like a camera, but they're anything but. Much of what you remember never happened that way.
    Then there's confirmation bias, etc.

It wasn't all that long ago that we claimed that lightning was proof of the supernatural.

It all comes down to Occam's Razor for me in the end. Is it more likely that my mind is a bit screwed up and playing tricks on me or is it more likely that dead people are all around us, breaking the laws of physics?

3. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

Anyone walked around the base of Uluru and stuck their head into any of the caves? I did 45 years ago (ie before the internet so I didn't know anything about the place!).
    I felt old presences. Never been sure how to describe it. But it was strong.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't think someone visiting and being spooked by the same "presence" that the owners know is there, but have never told the visitor about can be "memory" or "mind tricks". But as I said before, those who don't believe, won't. And one house changing owners and renters with no link between any of them except the house... well how does one explain that away as a "memory" or mind trick.

No need to try to prove or disprove. It doesn't matter really.

Lizzie likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

When I joined the AFP many years ago we were having training lectures and one cop came into the class and started arguing with the lecturer and they got into a fist fight in front of the class - for about 30 seconds before laughing and saying it was a joke. then we had to all write statements of what happened.

Everyone's statements were written immediately after the incident and all of them were vastly different. There was someone at the back video taping the incident as well so we could later compare our statements who each other and what actually happened - huge differences as to who said what, who hit who, what order things happened, what they were wearing, description etc

It was a good exercise to teach us that everyone sees things differently.

6. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

I’ve always liked this but it only works the first time.

datto and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  7. spludgey

Some of the things I value most in life are truth, knowledge and reason. So to me personally, it's very important to know what's real and what's not. But I agree with you that whether you believe something that I don't believe, or vice versa, doesn't really matter. Unless it was something where someone else's beliefs impacted on my life, like with the religious discrimination bill or me not being able to buy alcohol on someone else's religious holiday.

truong, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I 100% believe in ghosts/spirits, whatever you wanna call it. Experienced it many times.

I say to non-believers, get a serious group together who arent joksters and properly engage the Ouija board.

Have fun. Keep a bedpan close by.

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Animals too, are generally more receptive to sensing presences.

truong, wylie and Lizzie like this.
  10. spludgey

The subconscious and the afterlife are one and the same thing? Who knew?

We complain that NAPLAN results in science are getting worse, yet when we see something that we don't understand, instead of asking "what", "why" and "how", we go "I know, it's ghosts!"...

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

When things start moving on their own and everyone in the room sees the same thing, that's not the subconscious. I've seen it multiple times. But either you believe or you don't.

Lizzie likes this.
  12. spludgey

Put pressure sensors on everyone's fingers and see if they read 0N.
    If they do, claim your US$1M from James Randi!

Also:
    Mass psychogenic illness - Wikipedia

13. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

I counted 12 passes, and did see the gorilla.. I wonder whether the other 3 passes occurred while I was watching the gorilla?

14. Kelvin Cunnington

what did you all see move?

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Once upon a time everyone believed the earth was flat and the sun revolved around us ... lightning was caused by an angry God and the plague was caused by bad air ... just because something is not yet scientifically proven doesn't mean it doesn't exist

wylie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I could post extensively on things ive experienced. At one point I lived in Malaysia..and that country has many 'interesting' places of experiences lets just say :)

At the end of the day people can argue until the cows come home. I believe not because I have faith. I believe from real life experience.

Each to their own.

17. spludgey

Is that your argument for the existence of ghosts? If so, then yes, I can not discount them 100%, just like I can't discount the existence of pink unicorns. However unlike pink unicorns, there are a number of issues that ghosts would have to overcome:
    • How is the conscious transferred into a matterless state?
    • What are they made out of? It's not atoms, nor electromagnetic radiation, nor any other particle that we know about.
    • How can they expert forces and vocalise and sometimes even gain control of a host's body?
    • Why can they only answer meaningless trivial questions, but never questions that would actually provide information?
    • Why can only believers see them (this one might also be true for the pink unicorns though)?
    • How are they able to break the E=mc^2 equation?
    • Why isn't the world littered with ghosts? Many more people have died than are currently alive today.
    Believing in ghosts actually reveals a lot more questions than it answers, if you approach it with a critical mind.

bmc likes this.
  18. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    The logical side of me says NO...I don't believe in this stuff.........but as a teenager I went to a seance and I saw a guitar pick dance around, spin and flip, inside a glass .... so....... was that magic or genuinely mystical? I dunno....

19. spludgey

I once saw David Copperfield walk through the Great Wall of China!

20. Kelvin Cunnington

I wasn't arguing - I was genuinely interested in what you saw.
    I'm not a disbeliever - I just haven't experienced anything myself, yet.