Getting ready to sell. LED lights?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jeff James, 10th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jeff James

Jeff James New Member

Hi,

Opinions everyone.

We have a 5 bed in Bulimba (Brisbane) that we will selling soon. It has the old halogen downlights.

I wish to convert then all to LED for the best possible resale. My wife prefers the halogens.

Do you think changes like this can effect a property`s sale price?

Thanks in advance

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I loved the pools of light we got in our kitchen from halogens and was disappointed when we swapped them out for LEDs but it only took a few weeks to get over it and get used to the new "all over" lighting.

I'd be asking the agent you will be selling through whether it is worth changing them.

How many downlights are you talking about? Through which rooms?

3. Jeff James

Jeff James New Member

Heaps the entire house is Halogens.
    I prefer the modern look.
    Do you think this could sway a buyer?

4. wylie

I'm not sure what you mean by preferring the "modern look". The fittings for our halogens were exactly the same look as the new LEDs. It was just the light that was slightly different. The LEDs we swapped to have a filter, but I think you can get them now that give more "pool of light". We would have chosen that if we had the choice.

Are the surrounds yellowing, or do they look old and tatty?

If the house is in good condition, and "ready to move in", and the lights look tatty, I'd look at swapping them.

Do you think someone will buy the house and renovate it? If so, I'd not swap them out.

Unless the lights really let the rest of the presentation down, I'd not worry (but I'd still ask the agent you have chosen of his/her opinion).

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Also, will viewings be during the day or at night? If during the day, will the lights really matter?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Will most buyers notice that you've spent $$$$ on lights If doing daytime inspections?

KayTea and Joynz like this.
  7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

No, no change. It’s a $0 value add.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Change it, better for the environment and your buyers bottom line. Swapping a 50w halogen for a 3 w LED makes a huge difference to energy usage. We have only a few in our place, we swapped 10 out in 2 rooms but those 2 rooms are always lit at night, so that was 500 watts an hour reduced to 30 watts an hour, quite a drop. Modern LEDs are cheap and come in a range of color temperatures and spreads.

We swapped the office out too, around 30x 50 watters that burn all day long. Swapped to 3w daylight whites. Much better spread and much better to work under than the mangy old yellow halogens. Just that swap alone saves the office over 1.4kw per hour over 10+ hours a day.

Nip down to Bunnings, when I got the office ones they were happy for me to take a pack away and try the colour then bring it back for a swap to a different colour temperature if we didn't like it. We used warm whites at home and daylight whites at the office.

EDIT TO ADD - the home ones were easy and cheap as they were mains voltage ones but check yours, if they're like our office (low voltage with small transformers on each fitting), you may need to swap the transformers for each one too. We had to, halogen transformers pump to much power and make the LEDS flicker, we had to change all the transformers to LED specific ones at about another $8-10 per fitting from memory. Easy to do, just adds a bit more cost per unit.

9. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Agree it's not going to be cost-effective.

On the subject, I changed all the MR16 halogen downlights in my house (about 40?) to MR16 LED bulbs of various brands/prices and to be honest they are all too dim and have beam angles too narrow. I just replaced one entire fitting with an LED fitting ($18 Bunnings OSRAM with built-in transformer) and it's worlds better... much brighter, much more even lighting with softer shadows. Comparable ones are about $10 each from sparkydirect, definitely going down this path as more LED bulbs fail (surprisingly often.)

10. wylie

Did you change the whole fittings, or swap halogen to LED bulbs?

11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

At first I just changed the MR16 halogen bulbs to MR16 LED bulbs. I've had much better success changing the whole fitting. In my ceiling, the MR16 fittings were wired to individual transformers which were plugged into standard AU mains sockets; the new LED fittings come with an AU plug so it was a piece of cake.

12. wylie

We had our sparkie change the whole fitting. From memory it cost us just over $1k for 11 lights including his labour (several years ago). If I did it again now, I'd try for a "pool of light" rather than the diffused general light, but we are very used to the different light now. At the time I was quite disappointed we'd lost some of the "mood" or "ambience" we had with the spots falling on the work areas in the kitchen. I guess with the better choice now we could swap them out to more directional ones if we wanted to.

We've only had to replace one in that time.

We had dimmers fitted at that time too, but the lights flickered once dimmed, so we had the dimmer switch removed. I believe these days this problem is solved with current lights.

13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

There's definitely a wider range of choices today wrt light style / installation ease... you probably chose the best option available at the time.

Curious what you mean by a "pool of light" and how it's more directional than general diffused light?

There are some really smart dimmers available, in our nursery we have a Clipsal universal dimmer mech (for the clipsal saturn switch range) and it works with every single one of my MR16 LED bulbs. Although that's probably thanks to a capable transformer already installed in the ceiling.

TheRayTracer likes this.
  14. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Impressed. Not many people can justify the price of these beauties.

15. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Also agree. Unless you specifically mention it in your advert, most (if not all) buyers would not notice.

16. wylie

The first image is similar to the pools of light, task lighting I guess. We had one over our sink, and three in a line that lit our toaster/coffee machine area, with the other two spilling light onto our island bench. It was well lit, but had a nice ambience, not too bright.

Second photo is more like what we have now, no pool of light, more a general diffused general lighting. I didn't like it at first but got used to it after a few weeks.

Attached Files:

17. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I see what you mean. In our kitchen we have separate task lighting underneath the upper cabinets, and we do like the more focused look... so we're happy to have the main ceiling lights diffused. (Every light in this pic was targeted/narrow at the time)

ss (2019-01-11 at 11.32.52).jpg

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Some energy conscious buyers will be horrified by underbench and floor level lighting and downlights even if they are LED and low consumption. If you have seen a doof doof car (Hi Datto) with lights under it and those that looked wrong - That how some buyers see excessive illumination. Same with those Hue lights that can change colour.

Its like AC units. Some people see them as a cost rather than necessity. I wouldnt do without it. I have an aversion to plumbed water to a fridge after seeing what damage it can do.

Add value ? Or detract from sale ? Subjective for each property and its market.