Getting Electricity Back

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by giraffez, 2nd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. giraffez

giraffez Well-Known Member

For a house, once a tenant moves out and I want to take back the property for repair, how do I get electricity back? The tenant is currently paying for electricity, but i need it for a short period of time to do repair, who do I call and how quickly can this be arranged?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

1. Contact the electricity authority for a final meter read and apply to transfer to your name ; or
    2. Use the power and hope that the tenant hasn't terminated the service

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

They will connect it for short periods like this.

4. Scott No Mates

Depends on the supplier - integral energy disconnects at the board at the final meter reading.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I always put it into my name if it is not rented immediately or we need to do work there. In the old days the power companies would leave it on for weeks after final read for the tenants but not these days.

6. giraffez

But do i have to call up someone? If so who? I don't know who the energy supplier is.

7. Scott No Mates

Look in the phone book.

8. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

LMGTFY

9. giraffez

:) My question came out wrong, What I was trying to ask was there are so many different energy compnaies like energy Australia, agl , origin etc. do I contact any one of them regardless of who the tenant is with?

10. wylie

You don't need to know who the tenant's electricity supplier was. You arrange your own. I call my own energy supplier from my PPOR. They have all my details and I take over the IP residence with them. Make sure you tell them it is only going to be a few weeks or months and ensure they don't lock in a longer term.

kierank and giraffez like this.
  11. giraffez

Thanks

Does it transfer immediately? Is there a loss in electricity at the property during this process (like there is when you port your mobile phone?:)) . Sorry never done this before.

12. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Which state are you in? In QLD you want to arrange the transfer on the day the tenant vacates, if the electricity is fully disconnected from the house then Energex will need to come and do a full inspection of the property including power points and light switches and the meter board. If there are any issues they will not connect and you will be delayed. Here most electrical companies guarantee to connect within 24 hours.

13. giraffez

got it done, thank you all. Very easy.

Perthguy and Johnny Cashflow like this.
  14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Yup - the hard bit is when your tenant moves in and you need to make sure it is disconnected out of your name - make absolutely sure you get a final reading from them.

The Y-man

wylie likes this.
  15. giraffez

Actually it should be the other way around. The energy company cannot charge me until they get my first reading. Anything before that is not my worry. Thats why they charge me a small connection fee $12 or so to come out and take the reading

16. wylie

@The Y-man is correct though. If you never ask for a final reading and your tenants don't ever hook up with a supplier they choose, you will be hit with their usage.

One lot of tenants somehow (how???) possibly didn't ever have power in their name. It was not in my name either but the final account was addressed to "the homeowner".

Perhaps all through their tenancy they received power bills to "the homeowner". I've no idea. But do make sure you ask for a final reading if you hook it up into your name.

17. giraffez

But isn't the final reading the same as the initial reading? Who do i ask this to , the agent or the electricity company? The electricity company told me their electricity ended a week ago, and its just still on because they (the electricity company) haven't terminated it. If the agent took the final meter reading, is this enough?

18. wylie

Final read is done by the company the tenant was with. Agent doesn't take any reading. It must be done by the electricity company the tenant was paying, which may or may not be the same company you ask to hook up with. You don't need to worry about it at all. Just ask to hook up under your own name, and make sure you ask for a final reading when you are finished your work or find a tenant.

Last edited: 3rd Jun, 2017
  19. wylie

... and you need to get in quickly. If you leave it too long, the power company you hook up with may insist on checking every power point before putting power back on. Power companies used to leave the power to the premises even after the tenants' final reading for weeks, but for a few years now, they are much quicker to cut it off.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The power company checking every power point?
    I wonder why - and how they get access?

Must be a QLD thing!

Would never happen in Vic.