Cars & Motorbikes Generational interests and classic car values.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Serveman, 30th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

Honda Integra Type R- DC2R.

Already has a cult following, best fwd car of its time, great handling and an engine producing over 100hp/L.

Try find a clean and original car at the moment, good luck. There's only two on carsales and a heap of wanted ads on Gumtree.

The Prestige, Serveman and Lindsay_W like this.
  2. AnaBelle

AnaBelle New Member

I completely agree with you Lindsay, the 86 is no fun to drive, I just thought it has good bones later on once the values drop for people to modify them the way the MX5 crowd do. The MX5 is indeed a lot of fun to drive, I'm particularly partial to the NAs as they feel more nimble and don't require a huge outlay to modify them to give them decent speed.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Oh no doubt, they would be a good base for a track day car or similar :D

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I got to drive one last year. I felt like Captain Kirk on the Enterprise with it's japanese spaceship interior design. DH is planning on putting a SVX motor into a smaller lighter car (GC8 I think) for.......

[​IMG]

Anyway my vote for cars that will appreciate

1. Ricer classics (RS Liberty --> WRX, Nissans)
    2. practically anything that was a grey import into Aus before 2004
    3. 60s vintage Euro (VW, Merc, Beemer) (my '62 Karmann Ghia has grown in value but I bought it and drive it because I love it)
    4. Aussie bogan muscle car. There was a huge boom in the Ford/Holden pre-GFC which has dropped back but it will come again. The 80s stuff like a pale blue Walkinshaw will come back like the Walking Dead.

Serveman and Lindsay_W like this.
  5. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Bought my first r32 gtr when I was 18 such a great car so ahead of their time. Wrote it off at a trackday. Absolutely lucked into buying another one at their bottom in 2014/15. Paid 15k for a good nick rare colour car. Looking at the prices now could probably get 50k pretty easily

Westminster and Lindsay_W like this.
  6. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

Both JDM versions I gather because local ones were all pearl red. I'm sering good ones now around 80k plus which is almost the original new price of around $115k if memory serves me correct. What colour were/are yours?
    I could never get a Gtr so would settle for a 300zx which I have had a few plus other Zeds as well.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  7. Daniel007

Daniel007 Well-Known Member

ADM delivered cars were offered in red, black and silver.

Phantom likes this.
  8. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

Above is right ADM cars were Black, Red and Silver. Current car is JDM and a colour called dark blue pearl. They only made 1000 ish in this colour out of 45k cars so theyre pretty tough to come by

Shannons had some ADM cars in an auction a few weeks ago and cheapest was 80kish other 2 that were there sold over 100k

9. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Anything with racing pedigree would be my best bet, Sierra Cosworth, r32 GTR, SS commodores (VN, VP, VS, VR) , then the rally classics, wrx sti, tommi mak evo vi. Thats how it seems to have played out with the older cars, such as XU1, a9x, Falcon GT's etc. Even the mock ups of these cars fetch tidy sums these days.

10. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see what car culture will be like in say 15 years time. I'll be very dissapointed if SUV's becomes a collectors item as I have no interest in this genre of car. They seem to be extremely popular with many manufacturers making these instead of sedans and coupes.
    Nissan for example have still haven't released a new Z concept yet instead we're showing off a "high sedan concept ". Mitsubishi don't even make a large sedan. In the 90's they had 3000gt and FTO, now it's all SUV and Lancer.
    I wonder how many kids would be interested in sports cars, like E types. Yes E Types are very expensive, but how will they fair in 15 years time when many people who knew them won't be around.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  11. Ynot

Ynot Well-Known Member

Perhaps the NISMO 370z might be a future collectible along with ABarth 500 or Fiat 500c, some of the faster Audi’s such as TTRS or A4 RS, Cayman 6 cylinder models

12. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

I am heading towards a half century . But my car is still older than me.

You can see it (barely)at the beginning of this video and again at around the 22 seconds mark. First V8 ever made in Australia. Was an early morning shoot at Bondi. I have owned it since I was about your age.

https:// youtube.com/watch?v=6FITLn7nYM8

13. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Not sure why the video did not work. I will try again.

14. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

I should also mention that upon purchasing the car above, the insurance company asked me to take photos of the inside and outside and I think possibly the engine bay aswell and then to send them the photos. I made no mention of insured value or purchase price. They insured it for what they claimed was market value. Which was almost four times what I paid for it. It is now insured for around five times what I paid. Which is just their market valuation.

15. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

XR ?
    bit of a fan of the 67 Futura myself

16. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Yes it is. Fairmont V8 Sept 66. It may even be the first v8 made in Australia. Holden did not bring out the v8 until the 68 monaro. And the XR GT did not come out until 67, it had the same engine as mine.

I do not think the futura was made in Australia in 67. There was the 2 door US version. Are you refering to that one ? There are quite a few here now in the 2 door. But those ones are from the US and not Australian cars. The xm and xp came out in a futura, but not sure about the XR. I could be wrong.

17. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

Yes, on the look out for one of these.

18. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

There are a few in the link at the bottom of this post. A neat looking blue one but only a six cylinder. But I am not really into them. Firstly they are not Australian models, and more importantly, they are all left hand drive. The price to convert steering is wasted money. And left hand drive is annoying and dangerous on the single lane highway type roads when there is too much traffic and trucks. To overtake you sometimes need to come out further to see around the truck when your steering from the left hand side.

If I was to buy a US car for around this money I would prefer a mustang. But one of my favourite looking cars is the 1962 Corvette. From 59-62 were nice. That is what I would be buying. I will post a picture of one below.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/ford/falcon/2-doors/

Attached Files:

craigc and bmc like this.
  19. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

If you look closely at the 22 seconds mark, you will see the chunky chrome roll cage. It had dual exhaust then , with 2.5 inch pipes on each side. One of the mufflers got a crack so I altered it a bit. It still has dual exhaust, but now with two 2.25 inch piples on each side, so four exhaust outlets instead of two. It looks unreal but is not quite as load as it was before.

20. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

agreed 100%