Generally how much extra would a brick property cost

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by showtime94, 22nd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. showtime94

showtime94 Well-Known Member

Would you say a brick property would be an extra 10-15 k then other materials if both houses were similar in every other way
    Thanks

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Depends on the suburb... In my old one brick could be 250k more than weatherboard.

3. showtime94

Both in same suburb

4. Gockie

My example was from the same suburb too. Weatherboard: 1.35m
    Brick: 1.6m.
    Both with similar land, typically 700+ sqm.

Note, some people would still buy the home, demolish the brick homes and put something new on it. Sounds crazy, but people do what they want... often its really bought for the land.

showtime94 likes this.
  5. showtime94

So your saying you had a brick house that was worth 250k more then a weatherboard house and both were in the same suburb with similar land ?

6. Gockie

I had a house in the suburb and monitored all sales....

7. hungusyd

hungusyd Well-Known Member

In hard to reno or rebuild area, it could be even more. In my IP suburb it could be 500k difference

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

In our suburb, the timber house would likely be worth $500k more than the brick, because the brick houses in our suburb are not as desirable.

It very much depends on what people are looking for in that particular suburb.

Whitecat, Propertunity and Ed Barton like this.
  9. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

100% agree. This was going to be my response.

Realist35 and Whitecat like this.
  10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I was looking at one yesterday, the brick brings a premium, however it is inferior in the area it was in as soil is too reactive and bricks can't handle the movement, so it is a poor choice sometimes.

But the answer generally will be yes.

Edit...err, except for those timber loving QLD'rs :)

11. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

In Geelong brick houses can be up to $100k less than equivalent weatherboard.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Character or historic type places ? or for other reasons ?

Weatherboard to me = lot's of work

13. showtime94

Interesting

14. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Depends where you live, in lower rung suburbs weatherboards are less desirable as not many look after their houses and the weatherboard ones decay badly - brick is seen as sturdier

In middle.to.upper suburbs weatherboard can be seen as more desirable as the owners will look after the place often adding decorative pieces etc bringing out the full potential

Personal opinion
    For ppor i would take a weatherboard over brick as its nice to be able to paint it whatever colour or add lattice work that people would laugh at if on a brick house. Looks better with balconies, decks etc

I think brick houses are pretty boring really but each to their own

Sandringham - i suspect weatherboard is more expensive. Its hard to
    Quantify though without trawling through sales data

Toon and Whitecat like this.
  15. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

In a way it may be a recent phenomenon. Geelong West had it's share of tired and worn-out Edwardians in the late 90's, but due to the land value skyrocketing in the last 15 years or so many of these homes have been restored. East Geelong still has a bunch of Edwardians which look like they've not been painted since the moon landing, but they along with others in that suburb have increased in value, lending a lot of credence to the weatherboard and higher range synopsis.

In my suburb Norlane, where probably 60% are weatherboard i guess the valuations suggest that the house is of almost negligible value, those places going for generally low $200K's. The new Norlane brick houses which are often on a smart block are hitting about $250K for the 2-bedder bricks, the 3-bedders closer to $300K and the rare 4-bedder is commanding a figure well into the $320k-$330K mark. Corio, which has a majority of brick houses built in the late 60's onwards sees most of those starting from about the $230K mark upwards. Whittington, another low socio-economic area in Geelong also has predominately brick houses, but with the spillover of the magic 3219 postcode, they tend to be close to $250K plus.

My brick place built in 2010 suits me, as i am as much a handyman as a Renaissance artist. I enjoy the durability and sturdiness.

16. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

Hey @Dave3214, what about the fibro places along Bacchus Marsh Rd, in front of Corio Village?! :p

Seriously, though, I remember when they were < $100k, and renting for ~$180pw... if only. But I was too much of a snob! :rolleyes:

17. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Its not that simple.
    Brick in character neighborhood = worth less than queenslander and even worth less than post war (post wars ex housing commission renovated with decks etc can look quite amazing).

Block rendered modern possibly architectural = worth more than a queenslander. Because at the end of the day its a new house, has exec look, with ensuites, wir etc, cozy, floor to ceiling windows, easier to heat/cool and LOW maintenance (prob biggest factor..

I suspect this applies to @wylie and @Bran ''hoods too. I've seen people pay what i consider a premium for newer properties even though imo they aren't nice.

I hate to say it but here in Paddington/inner west (Brisbane's most famous neighborhood for character - tin and timber) there's more than a few people who would be quite relieved if their character controlled queenslander burned down as much as they respect the character and history. Modem has a lot of advantages.

[Personally i will never live in a non-timber house again ever. To me they feel unnatural].

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I think a comparable Queenslander would fetch same or better price than a new fandangled modern place. I live in the former (I think Wylie does to). I do dream about a quiet home and carpets though.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You'd need a good set of noise cancelling headphones to get "quiet" :D:p.

But everything else is correct. In fact, when my mother was selling houses in this area, nobody wanted brick, and the brick houses didn't sell well, because people wanting to live here wanted tin and timber.

That has changed somewhat with all the new builds, but people still come to these suburbs looking for tin and timber, and a good tin and timber demands a premium.

Bran likes this.
  20. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Its all personal preference but i would agree
    I would never buy a brick house to live in but i also realise that makority of people are the opposite

Whitecat likes this.