VIC Geelong

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Amber83, 16th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

While I dont have an IP in Corio, lots of people on here do. Most of them have had no problems with tenants. It probably comes down to your PM. Some parts of Corio and Norlane are markedly rougher than other pockets. Search around in the forums with keywords for the suburbs you're after, it should yield a wealth of information. Check the older Somersoft forums too.

Lions4Eva, MikeyBallarat and arorah like this.
  2. Kelstan2009

Kelstan2009 Member

I've seen house median has gone up 23% in Indented Head over the past 12 months...?

Is there any reason behind? fewer homes been sold, portarlington ferry service?

3. Lions4Eva

Lions4Eva Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Going to 3 inspections on Saturday - One in Corio, Whittington and Norlane.

I must admit, I haven't done much research in Whittington, how is the market progressing over there? (It is in Solar Drive if it helps)

4. Lions4Eva

Ouch, I did some searching around and the comments are not good so far.

5. josh123

josh123 Well-Known Member

15530-805dfd41a201fa4d5277138afdca7838.jpg
    Hi @Lions4Eva check this map out that @David Shih put out a little while ago. It gives you a little insight to Whittington and Newcomb.

The map is located in the media section

craig s and Lions4Eva like this.
  6. Lions4Eva

Thanks Josh!

Think I will be avoiding this area! Thanks for your help.

josh123 likes this.
  7. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

I haven't been to Whittington for a while but Solar Drive is s bad as it gets.

Lions4Eva and Stoffo like this.
  8. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Make it a weekend and understand the area(s) at all times of the day and night.

Lions4Eva likes this.
  9. Lions4Eva

Had an inspection in Corio and was impressed! Rents are a lot better than I expected. Pretty tempted to choose Corio tbh (Am looking at properties below Purnell Rd)

josh123, MikeyBallarat and Dave3214 like this.
  10. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Corio is also getting targeted by FHB who are on a budget:
    Young first-home buyers look to Corio for market foothold - realestate.com.au

Great news for @Pentanol for sure ;)

Thought this is also interesting for those who are looking in Geelong:

GEELONG’S BIGGEST MOVERS

Suburb 2017 median price 10 year % growth

Geelong West $596,000 121%

Manifold Heights $642,500 118%

East Geelong $542,500 107%

Jan Juc $783,000 106%

Hamlyn Heights $440,000 88%

Geelong $627,500 87%

Newtown $720,000 86%

Barwon Heads $860,000 82%

Belmont $450,000 81%

Herne Hill $418,250 79%

10 year percentage growth in median house prices. Source: CoreLogic

In which Geelong suburbs have prices doubled in 10 years? - realestate.com.au

Last edited: 6th Aug, 2017
    Pentanol, josh123 and Lions4Eva like this.
  11. Lions4Eva

Dave3214 likes this.
  12. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Keep in mind that both suburbs are pretty much the same, so if I am to choose, I would go with whichever suburb that can get me the best deal (avoid the red tape area of course).

Good luck with hunting @Lions4Eva - looking forward to hearing some success stories from ya :)

MikeyBallarat, Dave3214 and Lions4Eva like this.
  13. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

I've recently bought in Whittington, west of wilsons road, and have been pleasantly surprised with the area (have spent a couple of weeks in the house painting etc).
    I understand that the solar drive area may be totally different but I feel the other half of Whittington is undervalued due to the bad reputation of the name.

Am starting to become interested in corio and Norlane too now (would buy again in the same area of Whittington but supply is very limited) has anyone made a map of the areas of corio to stay away from?

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  14. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Agreed with everything! Solar Drive district is rough as guts but the Regent St end of Whittington is excellent. Great 50s/60s weatherboards and triple fronted bricks on huge blocks. Top location a stroll away from the CBD, Boundary Rd shops and the two Newcomb shopping centres. Even High St Belmont ain't far. I wouldn't mind a house there that's for sure.

Edit: stay away from the area of Corio centred on Sharland Rd and Fairbairn Rd. It's north of Plantation Rd near Aldi and the trotting track.

Last edited: 7th Aug, 2017
    Lions4Eva likes this.
  15. Lions4Eva

16. arorah

arorah Well-Known Member

12 Oregon Avenue Corio Vic 3214 - House for Sale #126081722 - realestate.com.au
    I have a question as I am looking at similar properties in Corio/Norlane.What are few things to consider to ensure there is a potential of subdivision apart from checking the land size is okay with council. And are most of investors planning to fund subdivision themselves or sell it to a developer. Sorry as you can tell I am new to this concept of subdivision.

17. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Today i looked at this property as Kuros kindly had come down from Sydney to check it out. It looked O.K on the pictures, and even from the street, but upon closer inspection it certainly had a feeling a bit like the way Marge Simpson referred to Homer's R.V in that early episode and said 'Used, isn't it'?

Carpets pretty much needed replacing, one of the bedrooms seemed to exhibit signs of leakage from the roof with a couple of holes and discolouration in the ceiling. The garage as such has actually been converted to a sort of games/rumpus type room, but is rather weather-worn in parts and seems to be constructed with the readily available 'fibro' sheeting which was rampant in the late 50's and early 60's.

The brickwork is sound, but given that the selling agent was indicating a price towards the upper end of the $259-$279K mark was required, it seemed as though it might need a good $15K or so of work to bring it to a level of renting for around the $260 per week mark. IT's on 533m2 as well, and the house is set back a bit, thus subdivision could still be done, but the front yard would likely be the action for the original house, and the back door almost being the back fence for a second unit.

I will say though, it's a very quiet location, close to Corio Village and the medical precinct of Cox/Bacchus Marsh Rds. Probably in one of the better parts of Corio in that sense....just that from my untrained eye, a lot was needed to bring it to a 'nice' state. Currently the agent was suggesting maybe a $220-$230 p/w rent might be achieved, but maybe with a lower quality tenant....and there'd be probably a bit there to be brought to attention for repairs anyway.

Kuros, MikeyBallarat, Westie and 2 others like this.
  18. Kuros

Kuros New Member

19. Kuros

Kuros New Member

Hi Dave and the team.
    I would like to Thank you and Andrew for your valuable time and effort to show me around Geelong suburb as well as Corio. That made me more informed about those areas.
    I found Geelong is an an interesting place as its close to the beach, shopping centre, public transport, university campus, etc. I quite like that. However, as we know the value of the properties particularly in Geelong areas is increasing and it makes abit hard for the first home buyers with the tight budget to get into the market. I am actually based in Sydney and visiting Melbourne in just few days, I found Melbourne less stressfull compare to Sydney and the lifestyle also more affordable. So Melbourne could be my second option for living in the future.

Because at the moment I am based in Sydney it makes really hard to make a regular inspections in order to find an investment grade property. I tried to contact few buyers agent to make my life easier, however, most of them have been really busy and could not even bother to answer my phone call or return my messages. That means the demand for the property in Victoria is as high as Sydney's.

Any way I enjoyed meeting with Dave and is friend Andrew who are local as well as have a wealth of knowledge about property in Geelong and surrounding suburbs area.

I would recommend Dave to any one who would need to get to know Geelong areas.

Pentanol, Toon, Westie and 3 others like this.
  20. Freedom Seeker

Freedom Seeker Well-Known Member

I find very large areas in Corio, Newcomb and Whittington are in overland flooding zone. Would you avoid buying houses in the zone?

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.