Garage with loft - where to buy

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lisa Parker, 22nd Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Wondering if anyone knows of a supplier of garages that have a loft space which is large enough to have guests stay in or can be used for an office etc.

the property is based in Melbourne.
    options are

- get someone to build weatherboard one to match house
    - Buy a galvanised steel pre-made one (have had quote of about $18K)

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would love to explore the options.
    Thanks in advance.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

There are a lot of shed suppliers out there now and a lot do custom type jobs too. I would think this would be cheapest way too go in kit form.
    Otherwise perhaps a big shed then get a carpenter to fit out the inside loft and stairs etc
    Surely there would be a way to clad the kit shed rather than colorbond sheets

Have you looked into council approvals etc? A guy i used to work with did something similar for a business and to get it through had to call it something "uninhabitable" like "loft" but something to do with boats i think:confused:

Lisa Parker likes this.
  3. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Yes, the council requirements are being tended to via a private building certifier.
    The property already has an existing garage which is essentially a color bond shed. But I wasn't sure if it was possible to keep the existing and add appropriate beams etc for the loft section and extend the roof height. Council is not an issue, I just don't know from the point of view of building it if using existing is option.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You could keep the existing but it may end up costing the same as new. The kits are quick and easy to fabricate and erect so modifying the existing will need plans drawn up and then steel fabricated and installed. A local shed company could advise you on the best option.
    May depend on the existing structure and condition

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

6. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

They're building these on the Sunshine Coast as part of new builds and labelling them Fonzi Units. Valuer difficulty level increased.

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Agreed - same as granny flats/ancillary dwellings cause issues - the good thing is that they don't take up yard space as they are over the garage. They are a good yield play though.

We are starting to see Fonzis in WA. Probably started about 4-5yrs ago and were pushed for by local council in University precincts. The main area I've seen them in is Joondalup and Clarkson.

8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Yes excellent yield play. Extra 50% in rent, without the full outlay of a granny. Nor the extra footprint.