Garage door that can’t be closed - is this an emergency repair

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by ostrich98, 23rd Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It can be ‘made workable/safe’ in under 30 minutes by removing the obstructing cornice/plasterboard which should free up the door mechanism.

The plasterboard is only cosmetic so can be repaired properly at any time in future (which might be after lock down).

If the door mechanism is damaged, it’s a trip by the door company but still not complicated.

Last edited: 23rd Aug, 2020
    Stoffo likes this.
  2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

The bikes can go in the house for a few days if they are worth $10K, same with portable tools etc. I think the lockdown would reduce the risk of theft, but it's still up to you to secure your own goods.

PS - residents should not be parking in the visitor parking spots.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Good points - though the person with the bikes isn’t the OP - and they’re in Sydney.

4. qak

qak Well-Known Member

OK I'm confused!
    Totes missed the bike person was someone else.

And is the OP in Melbourne (as they said "in the context of Melb lockdown") or Brisbane as per their bio?

Joynz likes this.
  5. ostrich98

ostrich98 Well-Known Member

Had to call multiple times. Finally got the builder in and he organised a plasterer/roof plumber to come and fix
    The emergency repair is not so much the garage door but the cracked and falling ceiling

they could not fix it all in a day. They are coming back tomorrow again
    this is probably the 20th time we had to stay at home waiting for someone to come for maintenance and repair and we are not even here for 12 months yet!

Attached Files:

Shogun likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Much clearer photo. That’s shocking in a new build!

Aren’t you working from home?

qak and Stoffo like this.
  7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Woah holy crap - @ostrich98 did it actually fall that far down or was that just part of the repair work?

8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Ahhh ok, that photo shows the issue very clearly. What a terrible quality build

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yeah! But it's new. :confused:

jared7825 and Stoffo like this.
  10. ostrich98

It explains my anger when we requested to move in 6 months after the leaked sewer water from ceiling incident but got denied

Unfortunately both my husband and I are essential workers in hospital so no WFH for us :(
    Hence our frustration especially with shift work and having to take time off. My husband is working till 2am tonight and will need to wake up for the plasterer to come at 8am

the front part of the ceiling cracked and fell on the garage door hence the door got stuck and could not be lowered down. I suspect there was a structural issue/movement issue with this house. They “fixed” the cracked and re-plastered the ceiling now there’s still a gap between my garage door and the ground level (about 40cm)

overall shocking for a 2 year old townhouse! I made sure I got the name of the builder and he is off my list when we are ready to build

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Agreed :cool:

I can understand (as a tenant) wanting to be home when access is "req'd" for a fire test/inspection or other item a "few times a year" ;)

But more than "a few times a year" I'd want to be compensated for the for loss of income & inconvenience :mad:

Tenants tend to pay above area rent for newish properties (to avoid these sort of issue's).

Clearly the OP has a case that should be taken to FAIR TRADING or the TENANCY TRIBUNAL in their state :p

As some ongoing issues are clearly impacting their privacy and the tenancy they are paying for o_O

(I get annoyed enough when my new car gets a safety recall :rolleyes:)

*EDIT
    WHOA, sewage leak !!!!!
    You can get your car serviced as an essential worker during stage 4 lockdown !
    I'd be requesting immediate alternative accommodation, (or finding a new place) as an essential worker you can't be expected to be "on call" (as you don't get a call out/stay at home charge/fee/allowance !).

Last edited: 24th Aug, 2020
  12. ostrich98

Yeap we did pay a premium to get a 3b 3 bathrooms property to avoid maintenance issues like these. We got asked during the application why we wanted to rent this property considering there’s only the 2 of us. My husband and I always use a seperate bathroom due to his work and thinking back this is the best decision ever in this COVID climate

no compensation whatsoever. Every time we asked we were told these are unexpected repair. So far we have had hot water pump/nbn port/rangehood/jammed door that won’t open/new toilet/sewage leak from ceiling/blocked shower/gas cooktop either serviced or replaced. We moved in last December

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would think you have grounds to break your lease with the problems you are experiencing (but Covid rules might mean this is not possible - even if you want to leave)?

Stoffo and qak like this.
  14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate and that is one very disappointing list :mad:
    I can understand why you are upset @ostrich98

Am imagining the exit report :eek:

I also feel sorry for the property owner, not only have they purchased a LEMON but they're likely unaware just how bad it is (as the PM doesn't seem to be on the ball).

As per @wylie you should look into breaking the lease, just make sure you have found somewhere else thru another agency ......;)

Ensure you have documented all of the issue's, dates and contacts with the PM

wylie likes this.
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Terrible gyprock job. No nails ? Little adhesive ?
    I would be concerned the bedroom ceiling (or any room) could also fail. After all it would be the same tradie.