Garage door 2080 x 2480 tilt replacement

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by larrylarry, 21st Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Hi there
    Has anyone replaced a tilt garage door of the above specifications? My PM got me a quote for $1790 excluding labour.

2. larrylarry

Sorry the dimension is 2080 x 4580.

3. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

We were going to replace some roller doors and received some sky high quotes, upwards of $3000. Ended up finding a place selling off 2nd doors at $300 a pop and fitted them ourselves.

4. larrylarry

We're overseas at the moment and won't be back until end January. Tenants are moving in on 5 Jan. Also is OT a good idea to put a motor for the tilt garage door for an IP? Probably minimal benefits?

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

If going to the trouble I'd def make it remote

Unless it can be organised sometime after they move in your prob gunna have to suck it up re price, "most" installers will be on annual leave now until at least the 4th Jan, many will be off longer.

6. larrylarry

Thanks. PM has advised tenants of the predicament.

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Garage door may seem a simple subject, PM's don't have allot of time (perhaps interest), bit difficult for you while OS, but... if you have a rello/friend that can organise a few suppliers to meet them at the property to asses options/quotes you maybe enlightened.

Even if you don't have anyone that can meet them there, it's pretty basic for them as long as they can open/see inside garage for structural mounting requirements etc.

Another consideration is power point for remote.

If this is in a complex keep in mind you may be limited to specific uniformity requirements etc

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've just installed two remote tilt doors on a house that had no doors. We've advertised at a higher rent that it was getting before we purchased it. We installed dishwasher and air-con too.

I would always add a remote because I used to hate having to get out of the car to open the doors before we did our own reno, and I'm sure most people are the same. If it makes our house more attractive to a potential tenant than another with no remote, no air-con, no dishwasher, it is worth doing. If they lose the remote, they pay for a new one.

Cost for two substantial doors was $4k including three remotes per door. We could have done it cheaper with a cheaper cladding on the door, but paid more for a tougher, better quality gauge of steel, colourbond finish. Cost us (I think) about $100 to have a power point installed to plug into.

larrylarry likes this.
  9. larrylarry

It's a house. Thankfully my PM is on the ball. More quotes to come.