Garage Conversion Ideas

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Shady, 2nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Just wondering if anyone has seen some good/unique/differnt ideas for converting a double car garage into living areas. A 5.5m x 5.5m space is a difficult area to do too much with. I'm not very creative but I'm great at copying ;) Most conversions I've seen are just one big room.

2. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

For what purpose may I ask? Is it attached to the house? I have stud walled, plastered, clad and tiled and wasn't that difficult

3. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Mine is a gym

4. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

You look like you work out!

Terry_w and Beelzebub like this.
  5. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Just after ideas...for any purpose really..just anything other than a large rumpus room which seems to be the most common conversion.

under same roof line/stud wall
    I'm looking at a place where the garage has already been converted to one big room, but just after ideas of what else can be done with the space. It makes one huge bedroom, or two very small/odd shaped bedrooms, maybe a main room with ensuite and WIR.

Cheers

6. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

Turn the garage door into bay windows, turn into a lounge room and wall a portion off, install shelves into portioned off area and use for storage.

7. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Just been looking through the idea of offering a home based business option and turning the garage into a Hair Salon or something similar. There's a few threads over at SS on home based businesses but it might take a while longer to find a suitable tenant. I'm sure the right person would happily pay a significant premium but the possible vacancy may offset any premium.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

knock the wall out and re jig it with the adjoining rooms to make them bigger

9. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Thought of that but I doubt it will increase rent much if at all.

The house is/was a 3/2/2 plus double car port. The garage conversion has added a rumpus or large bedroom. This room is the same size as the lounge/dining/kitchen all combined so doesn't really flow all that well nor increase the rent.
    An extra 2 normal size bedrooms would add rent, so too could a home/office/studio/salon as it has it's own entrance..

10. bob shovel

Like you said on the previous post is the time waiting to find that tenant who wants to use the room as a business. If it was a ppor and you or someone else could set it up as needed. Why not just turn it into a bedroom with wir. That way it becomes 4x2 and can get more rent, if someone wants it's as an office they can use it as an office and store room and can be advertised as 4x2 with external access for home office potential

Shady likes this.
  11. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Took long enough but exchanged contracts a couple of days ago. I've played around with a few ideas and had a chat to 2 property managers...will chat with a couple more. One PM said the 4th bed with ensuite would achieve more rent....but it the most costly. 5 bedrooms doesnt seem to rent for much more than 4 beds.
    The middle floor plan with the "Family Room" is the existing layout.

Any ideas suggestion or comments

Attached Files:

• 5b5.jpg
      5b5.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5b7.jpg
      5b7.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
    • 5b4.jpg
      5b4.jpg
      File size:
      43.2 KB
      Views:
  12. bob shovel

Where was the old garage? Can you high light that room. Is it to the left of bed 4?
    You'll need to know load bearing walls before going to crazy and you want to limit wall removal and additions to keep costs down

Don't make the laundry bigger. No need. If anything I'd say use the laundry as the ensuite and possibly shared laundry?or a dividing wall somehow.

13. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

It was a double garage and is now Bed 4. Window on the left and sliding door on the right.

Attached Files:

14. bob shovel

Ah cool, so load bearing shouldn't be too much to worry about.
    Go nuts
    I've done a sketch on my phone ;) I'll send you the invoice!
    sketch-1449575646114.jpg
    I don't know if that will actually work another idea

15. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Thanks BS....I thought of trying to have 2 rooms side by side but given it's on 5.5m wide, after allowing for a 100mm thick stud wall each room would only be 2.7m wide.....on the small side for a 4th bedroom and too small for a main room.
    I like the idea of having an ensuite down that end but only if I can increase the value of the property significantly by having a third bathroom. Need t chat with a few more agents

16. bob shovel

Oh yeah bit small.
    What about

17. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My parents did this. One bedroom and one study. Worked out well (my room was the bedroom :))

Be aware that generally, garage floors are not very level. They are sloped for drainage. This can be an issue in the conversion to get the floor level with the rest of the house. That, and matching the front windows.

18. bob shovel

sketch-1449643225750.jpg My sketches are getting worse...

The messy red is a hallway. Jane a nook or a room for the study.
    Bathrooms are expensive maybe forget that idea

19. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

I fly up there yesterday and met a couple of property managers. Both said that 5 bedrooms lease very well in the area so it looks like my 5 bed floorplan will be a winner....just need to get a building to stick his head in the roof to see what support is needed (if any) pitched roof.

20. bob shovel

If your leaving the old garage walls as is you should be fine