Game Plan- private sale buying tactic needed!

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Otie, 9th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

All the best!

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Otie I tend to be upfront with the agent. It needs to be a good working relationship. I ask them straight up, what do number needs to be on the contract to finalise the deal today. If its too high, I say thanks and walk away.

Truth is the agent knows the number they can get the vendor to sign. The question is whether they actually believe you're genuine about buying the property before they hand that number out.

@Otie I have no idea what your profession is, but regardless, when you meet people, there are some you are willing to help, and others who you know are just going to waste your time. The agent is making the same assessment on you.

Short version: Don't be a donkey about it and try to play games with the agent. Business works better when the parties aren't trying to bend each other over.

wylie and Otie like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

"offer over" theoretically sets a base price to work up from.

Whereas "For sale $xxxxx" for me means "it will definately sell at this price ("buy it now" price on Ebay) but they'll go lower.

You use whichever one will attract the most suc....uh... buyers.

The Y-man

4. The Y-man

I believe ethically they shouldn't but legally they can, or at least give and indication (I could be wrong here).

When I am selling and am presented with offers, I tell the agent to go back and see if they can wring out a few more dollars. They will report back to me saying "no, that's it" or "vibes not good" or "give me another day while they ask their bank" or some such.

If I had accepted a conditional offer and it had fallen through, I would be keen to accept an unconditional offer EVEN IF IT WAS A TAD LOWER than another conditional offer. This is because as a seller, you may have holding costs, bridging finance, etc etc etc not to mention potentially more advertising costs etc.

The most attractive offer to the vendor will be unconditional with a settlement date selected by the vendor (make sure you can settle in 30 days if need be)

Also, as @Trainee mentioned above, do make sure the refusal for finance had nothing to do with the property itself.

All the best!

The Y-man

5. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Otie not sure if the area is hot or not that you're buying in, set the price you believe it's worth, and go in with the best offer and subject to a time. I like end of day 5pm that way you sleep well that night if it's not accepted. Our last purchase we let the agent know we had placed an offer on another property which was true and if accepted we would take it. This might add a little pressure to the vendors if your offer is good.

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Area is very hot at the moment hence my keenness to buy this via private sale “for sale” style. I’m doing the 5pm thing that’s also what my conveyancer recommended

Barny likes this.
  7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Made my offer, but the vendor refused it due to my condition of a building and pest inspection, he said he would accept my offer without it, or if i removed the clause allowing me to exit the contract within 14 days if a major defect was found!

8. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Maybe thats why the previous buyer couldnt get a loan? Maybe that was an excuse: they found a defect and used the finance clause to get out of it.

Athikalaka likes this.
  9. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I think it may be possible, as when I pressed for further details they said that the other buyers finance expired and thy didn't reapply, which I thought they would have had to attempt to reapply under the contract terms.

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

No pest and building inspection. Wow.

11. wa2

wa2 Member

Sydney-Jakarta-Melbourne-Brisbane-Singapore
    Time to walk and enjoy the weather :)

Otie likes this.
  12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

nowadays everything is unconditional - unless finance clause

13. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

it's pretty common when I sold my place in pt cook

there was one buyer who put in an offer "subject to the purchasers" satisfaction. agent asked me to came to negotiate in Mcdonalds after work. he wrote it in. i asked him what this is - and gave 1001 reasons when the house was brandly build 2 years ago. i tore the contract put in the bin and left. the next day the buyer put up the offer without conditions.

14. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yep, all of the hot suburbs anyway, even unconditional finance is common. I’ve even seen a few under contract sight unseen within hours of hitting internet

15. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

It’s all about the land anyway so plenty of buyers can afford to risk it. Unfortunately I can’t afford a termite ridden house to fall down or faulty electrical to kill my tenants

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If it’s in Melbourne, you can cool off anyway. Can't opt out of this option!

However, they may refuse access for a building and pest inspection.

17. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

How many termite ridden houses have fallen down ?

I do not always do them, house more likely to fall down from reactive soil and or poor drainage & guess what, many of these inspectors simply grab the money and run, ay as well spend that money on repairs :)

The Y-man likes this.
  18. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

YOU know what, I actually just spoke about that with my husband. We are really buying for the land but won’t be developing for next ten years or so. I said to him, this house we aren’t looking at was built in 1970, it has lasted this long, and things can be repaired. My main concern was the electrical being safe and termites. We bought our last one with no building and pest, but we did have a good look around and got in roof etc (hubby is in construction anyway so knows what it should look like).

19. Dmarkw

Dmarkw Well-Known Member

In Sydney and Melbourne, but not so much in QLD.

20. The Y-man

As per Dabbler - a termite ridden house can stand for ages (termites can just go away and leave the place for years). If it was that bad, you'd probably notice when you walked through the place - also look for the usual warnng signs - damp near house, trees etc.
    Get a safety switch installed for the power.

The Y-man

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.