Furniture Hire and Decoration for better selling price?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Healthy Frog, 9th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Healthy Frog

Healthy Frog Active Member

I am planning to sell a 3-beds unit and considering different approaches to make it more compelling.

Option A:
    Hire furniture from interior design company for 1 month during open inspection. This looks good but very costly.

Option B:
    Get recommendation from freelance interior designer , then purchase some furniture myself . I can use the furniture or sell them once the property has been sold.

Can I ask your opinion about what would be a better way based on your own experience? Any interior designer can you recommend? Any thoughts would be much appreciated !

2. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I think Option A is called 'staging'. A few people have done it and highly recommend it. @sanj @MTR

Arnel likes this.
  3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I think none - use virtual furniture in photos added in by graphic designer.

All you need is to attract people to open inspections then the selling agent can sell.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind "virtual furniture" but in reality, once you get them into the house, it still feels empty (indeed... it is empty).

Empty houses feel and look smaller than houses with furniture in. I would go with staging. You generally get six weeks for the cost of four and I believe it is worth the cost, depending of course, on the house, the market and the potential purchasers and what they expect.

Last time we had a whole house furnished with two outdoor settings, five bedrooms fully dressed, living, dining, kitchen things for around $4.5k. Well worth it.

vtt, Bayview, Lizzie and 3 others like this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Disagree strongly. I refuse to sell an empty property unless there are really extenuating circumstances

thydzik, Kashmir, Hgirs and 2 others like this.
  6. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

In Sydney it's called styling and I would highly recommend. Particularly if your target market is owner occupier. You want to sell the dream, you want the buyers to walk in and feel like it is a home and have them picturing living there.
    Plus it distracts from any minor defects that will be more obvious if empty.

We pay a stylist to come in and dress the house and remove when finished.
    Have done this twice and have no doubt it added 10 fold more than the cost.

sanj likes this.
  7. Purple Patch

Purple Patch Well-Known Member

We have recently presented two properties for sale one used virtual furniture to 3 rooms at a cost of $300. Sold Price for 27B Evans Street Belmont Vic 3216. It did exactly what Xenia said and attracted buyers in, for the agent to sell to. It also allowed an attractive photo on the sales board.
    The second property, currently on the market, we fully staged with a stylist at a cost of $2500 for a seven week period.27A Evans Street Belmont Vic 3216 - House for Sale #121413902 - realestate.com.au
    A lot of people cannot imagine how the property will look with furniture in it and a well staged property can have a great feel to it and make it stand out among other properties on the market.
    Good luck which ever way you choose to go
    Cheers
    PP

Jacque likes this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I like this article: Why Virtual Home Staging Doesn’t Work

What potential buyers see on the ad:

stage.jpg

What they see at the open house:

empty.jpg

Jase001, Valiant Thor and Lizzie like this.
  9. sanj

Yeah i personally think virtual styling has almost no place unless you're talking renders for OTP sales. For something built the minor cost of staging is one of the best value for money things that can be done imo.

If 2 similar homes are for sale in a suburb; one beautifully staged and one bare and they are both being sold by excellent agents then what justifies the belief the virtual staged one will be more desirable or aso desirable?

Also, we're talking a miniscule sum here, people spend more on a laptop. I genuinely am a strong advocate for good staging (and there are some average companies out there)

Hgirs and Westminster like this.
  10. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Paid $3500 for staging a 2 bedder for 6 weeks. Sold in first week .

Result $34000 Extra

11. Healthy Frog

Healthy Frog Active Member

Speede, really appreciated your reply. Can you please recommend any company in Melbourne who provides Decoration services? Thanks.

12. sanj

34k extra over what figure? Im a huge believer in staging properties but ultimately imo the exact financial benefit is anyones guess, who knows what it would have sold for empty.

I even semi staged a rental townhouse jn rivervale when i sold it around 2009 or so, i gave the tenants $100 a week discount on their rent any week there was an inspection or home open and paid for cleaners too.

A finbar apartment i sold in 2010 got i think nearly 30k more thab others on the floor and all i did ddfferently was have different floor coverings in living areas, different kitchen cabinet selections and got an interior designer to help me stage it, it was my PPOR at the time.

Valiant Thor, Phase2 and wylie like this.
  13. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

14. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Absolutely recommend staging if selling- I know I will be when I sell as it can play such a huge part in influencing sales. Best of luck with your sale and I hope you get a great price :)

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm a huge believer in staging - even if it's simply clearing all level surfaces of anything that doesn't enhance it (benchtops, bedside tables etc) - and remove all personal references (photos etc).

I've only ever used my own furniture - but that's usually because it's a ppor for sale. Amazing what one can do with a neutral background, slipcovers, throw rugs and cushions - but I have also used my own furniture when selling an IP and decking out only a few key rooms like the living and one bedroom.

Can't beat a bedroom of crisp white linen bedding with some amazing (but not expensive) large artwork, a few cushions and throws, toss in a white cane chair ... or a completely clear kitchen bench except for stainless kettle (cheap from BigW) and an amazing fruit bowl ...

If you're going to do this frequently, I'd suggest investing in a few key, inexpensive pieces from Ikea or similar

16. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Hi everyone
    I am selling a 4/2/2 home at Sunshine Coast. Have a good marketing agent and agree with his recommendation for 'partial' staging....lounge / dining / kitchen / master bedroom only / ensuite.
    The two quotes I have been given were for $4000 and $4200, with the dearer one sounding like a more professional company.
    It's getting a full repaint and new flooring so deserves to be shown with lovely furniture I reckon. I don't live in the area at all.

Are these fees reasonable ? Seems a bit heavy to me, but I'm not familiar with this sort of thing. Can anyone recommend a firm that does a good job of this at reasonable price - either SC or Brisbane?
    Cheers
    FM

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us know how much they've quoted.
    I've never paid someone to do it before.
    You can get pretty sneaky/creative with covering things up.

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We used Castle Hire. I'm not sure if they service your area.

Friends have used Coco Republic. I think the furniture is nicer, but it is fairly expensive.

Castle Hire furniture and service was great though and we didn't feel the need to pay the extra for Coco (but seeing it made me want to shop there) :D.

Foxy Moron likes this.
  19. KMD

KMD Well-Known Member

Staged Homes in Ferntree Gully, Victoria do beautiful staging. I have never had the occasion to use them yet but their website is full of lovely staged rooms.

20. Angel13

Angel13 Well-Known Member

Hey Healthy Frog, I'm just curious to know which approach you ended up going with and if you've had success?