Frequent Flyers - Qantas Transfer of Status for Virgin- Worth it?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by RPI, 6th Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Hi All

With our SDA properties all over the country, I spend part of the week all over the country, obviously less so during Covid - but still flew to Cairns, Townsville and Airlie Beach constantly. Non Covid-19 usually in Perth, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville and Airlie every 3 weeks (not all at same time), Sydney ever 2 weeks. Next year add Tassie and Darwin to that mix and I spend a fair amount of time at airports and in airport lounges.

I changed to Virgin from Qantas years ago when the Qantas planes were getting older and I was having delays to flights be a regular thing, when I was flying to Sydney for the day, delays really sucked. Also in Brisbane you could Valet park with Virgin, go straight into the lounge through your own security screening and then be right near the gates. Made for greatly reduced pre-flight time.

Virgin Lounges have re-opened in some locations, but the offering has been pretty poor. A pre-packaged muffin doesn't really count as breakfast. And they are yet to re-open some of the business facilities parts. (used to spend quite a few hours working in the lounge on the laptop between flights in different cities).

I really like the Virgin Premium Economy X upgrades you get with Platinum Velocity level. But still trying to read if Virgin is really going to stick with servicing the business market or head down the more budget route.

Qantas are currently offering a points and status transfer, supposedly for up to 11 airlines but clearly targeted at the velocity members. My mates that do domestic travel were also all Virgin, the Qantas guys I know are all international.

So, was wondering with other frequent flyers on here, anyone in Qantas and make use of the lounge network, do you get upgraded to more leg room seats for free as part of your status level etc.

2. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I’m platinum- it depends on who else is on the flight. For e.g. on the weekends during non business hours, I (including guests) always get the seat I want, whether it’s right up the front (after business class) or the exit seats.
    During business hours, there are so many others with the same status or higher. But you still get preference when you have your seat selection, just be in quick.
    I’m based on Sydney, so Qantas is better for me as there is the dedicated terminal for Qantas.
    If Qantas are offering point for point transfer, probably a good time to switch if you wanted to, but once you are here, the points system will be different. Only 10 status points for going to Brisbane to Sydney- I think virgin offers 20. Sydney to Perth is 20 points, going through virgin is 40.
    I mostly fly Qantas, but on occasion still travel virgin (if the fares are a lot cheaper and the timing is better)- one thing I absolutely love about Qantas is that you can check in, changed seats etc through their app. The virgin equivalent is so cumbersome.
    In terms of the lounge, the food is average in both. I only like them for the peace and quiet, ability to shower, and have a drink.
    If I am eating, I eat outside.

Last edited: 6th Dec, 2020
  3. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Qantas Platinum One, Virgin Platinum

As P1 I average around 3-5 free upgrades per year, usually check the app or get to the lounge and it’s been done in the background a nice surprise, on other legs I upgrade using points based on how I think the passenger load will be in Economy, some of the regional legs on the Dash 8 or older 717 it’s economy only, 9/10 in economy will have a spare seat next to me unless plane is full.
    I prefer to fly Qantas and it’s about 80-90% of my domestic travel, they service all the routes I need, pre Covid was my international preferred also

With virgin i found upgrade availability harder although try and use the 4 per year you get with Platinum
    The premium entry at Brisbane was a plus for virgin, but for me didn’t make up for their lack of overall product- basic lounge, basic food, business class meals in flight were sub par

I have not looked into the points transfer structure as usually they match status.
    Some of the articles on executive traveller forum suggest that Virgin will lean back to its origins as a more budget carrier, I honestly don’t see them on the same level as Qantas, but they are of course better then Jetstar