Free Speech

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by MTR, 15th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

All Trump threads are banned on PC but why? We are all adults. Good, bad and ugly .... who cares, adds a little spice to PC, we dont want vanilla do we??

I thought in the main we were well behaved, agree to disagree sort of, and it was fun

What was the issue @Simon Hampel ??

MTR:)

Gladys and Ed Barton like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

The issue is that some topics are extremely divisive to the point where all you end up with is two groups of people with polarised ideologies shouting at each other across the room.

You're never going to change someone else's opinion on a topic like this - and I really don't want to end up banning people from a property forum because they become belligerent in a thread about Trump when they could have been adding value to the real estate discussions instead.

I end up spending half my time reading through such threads trying to keep things under control and cleaning up after people and I'd much rather be spending my time ensuring we are adding more value when it comes to real estate topics.

Perhaps when I get the new version launched I will look at adding a private "paid members only" area for "anything goes" discussions.

bob shovel, Foxdan, MTR and 6 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Visit the 'bear pit' on ski.com.au - enter at your own risk. Doesn't need to be locked off to paid up members (just set a minimum number of posts to unlock the area).

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A combo of free sparring and sand pit I guess :)

ta
    rolf

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I do not like posts where people are invalidated and ridiculed personally but no problems are solved and no change is made.

Waste of time - entertainment value only (Iā€™m not entertained)

Remove the Nathan Birch ones too - appalling

Tink and WestOz like this.
  6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Which I'm sure was never the intention when creating a "Property/Real Estate" forum, and I'm sure when cautiously considering/deciding whether to include a "lounge" section where like many other sites, some (who are more work than others) would no-doubt push the boundaries, making work for yourself, time spent moderating instead of getting other things done.

Free Speech?
    Yes, we live in a lucky country where "supposedly" we're all permitted it, but like many things in life, sometimes the term is abused.

Two main topics of many that should be avoided, Politics and Religion, because I, like others, have my opinion of both, which others will disagree with, take offence to, erupting into a debate that ultimately serves no purpose on a "Property Chat" forum, when there's so many other web sites available for that.
    I and I'm sure others enjoy this site because its not like thousands of others out there in www.

IMO politics on here will always be included in discussions, but in the sense of legislation affecting "Property/Real Estate", not directly regarding/targeting any particular politician (who's perhaps only a puppet).

This thread reminded me of this one, perhaps a direct link to the "Forum Rules" could be added to the top of the page (not that many would read them, but by joining they agree to them).

Perthguy, D.T. and Sackie like this.
  7. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure why anybody should be immune from examination, as long as it's kept polite and factual.

There are people in the forum who have trusted others who have built themselves a reputation. In many cases, that trust has proved to be misplaced - perhaps because the subject of the adulation has attempted to upscale their operations to cater for the demand. In many cases people have been burned as a result. I've been burned by one, and came close to being burned by another. A little more examination by others earlier in the piece may have steered some people away.

truong and Invest_noob like this.
  8. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

This.

lol at MTR only three weeks ago, starts a thread titled "No longer a property forum", follows up by starting 8 other unrelated threads :oops:

bob shovel, Foxdan and WestOz like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What are you trying to say... or are you over analysing and placing your spin on it..... beware of forums, its very easy to misinterpret what people are saying?

Forum changing can be a good thing, or a bad thing..... depends on the person, information etc etc. I was just pointing out the obvious.

I start many threads and nothing to do with property, but what's that got to do with anything?? I am confused. This is living room after all.

Last edited: 15th Jan, 2018
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I took that more as an observation as to the state of the property market rather than a criticism of the discussion here.

I encourage discussion about any topics which are of interest to our members - but unfortunately some topics just generate too much work for relatively little value.

Tink, Marg4000 and MTR like this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I think its a good thing that we now have many experts on this forum who have been successful at creating income streams from shares and sharing this information
    It was just an observation.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

This forum is probably one of the (if not the) best Australian real estate investing resource on the internet to date. Personally I'd like to see it stay this way and not fast forward 12 months and have 50 different threads where its all out war of personal insults (and bullying) being exchanged on very heated topics which really adds no value to real estate investing. That would be a huge shame for this forum imo. I am an advocate for very selected censorship where common sense just prevails.

Last edited: 15th Jan, 2018
    Tink, Blacky, Eric Wu and 4 others like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Me too.
    On a personal level for me the forum has improved immensely, 2 years ago I had 7 trolls, today I have 1 troll... all good.... I have thick skin:pinsults... water off a ducks back.

On a serious note I agree insults etc. adds no value. I guess need to remind ourselves that we have no idea who is behind that keyboard, and what if they are fragile.... if we want to be one thing in life... lets be kind.

Gypsyblood, Invest_noob and Sackie like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm afraid your popularity may be slipping....:p

Gypsyblood, Xenia and MTR like this.
  15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Trolls come and go. I have found that property investors tend to stick around. I only have one troll left as well. They are not nearly as smart or funny as they think they are! :p

Sackie and MTR like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My one disappeared. I think he/she was too skilled to remain here and migrated.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right, so everyone has been trolled... that makes me feel much better:p

Xenia likes this.
  18. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You have been trolled since then. Remember "if you want to be taken seriously" guy? With over 9,000 posts under your belt, people will either take you seriously or not. I don't think it matters much at this point.

Sackie likes this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Shh.. lets not tell people 8766 of those posts was all banter...:D:oops:

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

In the end their removed their hidden avatars, started businesses and revealed their true identities. We were being trolled by creepy nobodies lol

MTR and Perthguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.