Entertainment & Music Foxtel & Netflix

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Pumpkin, 24th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Who else is excited about this "Merger" other than myself?
    :D:D:D

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Context: Foxtel confirms Netflix partnership in major TV ‘shake-up’

The two giants of Australian subscription television, Foxtel and Netflix, will join forces today in an unprecedented partnership allowing viewers to watch their entire entertainment libraries without dropping the remote control.

The highly anticipated pairing, which will see Netflix shows delivered through Foxtel set-top boxes, will begin appearing inside some devices today, putting Stranger Things alongside Big Little Lies for the first time.
    Unsurprisingly, the news.com.au article reads like an advertorial :rolleyes:

It's actually a very smart move on both parts.

Both Foxtel and Netflix are terrified of the upcoming Disney+ streaming service, which will have so much premium must-have exclusive content that it's pretty much a no-brainer got-to-have service.

By encouraging existing Foxtel users to sign up for Netflix and making it easy to access Netflix through Foxtel, you get even more premium content through a single platform, thus making it more likely that people will stay with both services (although it's going to be expensive once the 6 months of free Netflix expires!!).

We have Netflix - but I don't tend to watch much content, but my kids do. No way would I pay for Foxtel. Although I will need to see how much they will be charging - I am quite likely to sign up for Disney+ once it becomes available.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't seen the news.

It seems nothing really to get excited about.

Foxtel customers will get a Netflix button on their remotes. Some users will get a few free months of Netflix. And Netflix movies will show up on Foxtel movie selections. Not a big deal IMO.

I've never had Foxtel except for a free trial when the new internet box came out. It was always a bit too expensive for me - and offered a lot less than Netflix. Unless you're into sports.

Pumpkin likes this.
  4. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I don't have either.

The only way I'd pay for Foxtel, is if this was all bundled together (Netflix and Foxtel) for $17.99/MTH. It's not worth a cent more.

Elives, shorty and Peter_Tersteeg like this.
  5. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

I reckon $14.99/MTH

mikey7 likes this.
  6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

That's where I started to wonder who else is excited other than me... :p

Hmm, I am still perplexed as to it seems I am the odd one here supporting Foxtel. Always love Foxtel and had been in and out of subscription. When I was feeling broke, I put my account on suspense :D

But dont forget to factor in the cost of your internet, and needs to be good quality fast-speed internet.

One of the reasons I like Foxtel is so that I dont depend on Internet, unlike Netflix. We are at the mercy of our Internet Provider. And I reckon it gotten worse since NBN roll out. To be able to watch Netflix sensibly you have to pay thru your nose for the Internet/NBN. With Foxtel esp Satellite, there is one less reliance on Internet.

I wonder whether NBN is secretly smiling... This would have taken so much more pressure from them. With Netflix and Youtube being so popular these days, I am surprised if they are not under enormous pressure. But of course this might mean losing customers or customers going for cheaper plan. We will wait and see.

Granted, there are still lots of improvement Foxtel need to implement. For one, I reckon many of the Chinese Dramas in Youtube has far better graphic qualities than Foxtel.

The other aspect is I wonder whether Foxtel will team up with other services... Amazon? I am waiting eagerly...

7. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Have always had Foxtel - mainly for the sports and business channels.

Never had the movies so not that interested in Netflix - so just giving general support in the Foxtel area.

There are a lot of other things we would get rid of before Foxtel if it came to that. Internet is so overloaded so good to have the dish.

craigc and Pumpkin like this.
  8. geoffw

1. A high quality internet is a necessity for me regardless of Netflix. Nit just for Netflix - for SBS movies, for catch up TV, for YouTube, for uploading photographs - and that's not even counting business use.
    2. Foxtel is available as an internet based streaming service now, and is probably their preferred business model.

jprops likes this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Don't do either so not excited. I often find really good stuff to watch on SBS on demand, if there is nothing on free-to-air or I don't have a good book to delve into

10. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Thats what Netflix alone costs me per month.

We used to have Foxtel when we didn't have a decent internet connection but since moving 18 months ago we ditched Foxtel and took Netflix.

$79.99 a month vs $17.99 a month.

We don't miss Foxtel at all.

11. Dan Donoghue

Out of curiosity, why would the Foxtel and Netflix JV excite you then? The Netflix portion of the Foxtel subscription will still come through an internet connection, it's just an app on the Foxtel box. If Netflix doesn't work for you now, it won't work for you when it's an app on the Foxtel box.

However...... When Netflix first came out they categorically said they will NEVER support device caching.

This was wrong, Netflix does indeed now support caching so in theory even with a crap connection you can choose shows or movies you would like to cache to a device and watch then when they have downloaded (or even offline, we cache a bunch of things to my tablet if we are going on hols or something).

Pumpkin likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Had foxtel for years. Mainly for news, foco snd my crime/forensic stuff. Not interested in the other channels. Costs me around $35 pm

Pumpkin likes this.
  13. geoffw

I'm not sure, but it seems that possibly Netflix might have a satellite/cable delivery. So if you have Foxtel but no internet, you may be able to get Netflix now.

Pumpkin and Dan Donoghue like this.
  14. Dan Donoghue

You need an internet connection. It's only on IQ3 and 4 boxes and they both require connectivity.

The Satellite doesn't support streaming on demand.

What do I need to watch and access Netflix through Foxtel?

Foxtel will deliver the new feature to iQ3 and iQ4 set-top boxes with an internet connection. You’ll also need a Netflix subscription.

Taken from here: Foxtel confirms Netflix partnership in major TV ‘shake-up’

They are also planning on adding other streaming services like ABC iView, SBS On Demand, and other unnamed streaming services “in the coming months”.

These will also require an internet connection.

geoffw likes this.
  15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The problem I have with all this is how many subscription services are needed? For what I like to watch, I've never felt that Foxtel is worth the expense. I loved Game of Thrones and Chernobyl but I'm not going to pay that much for just these two shows.

A few years ago we decided we'd get Netfix. Now $13/mth. Then my wife saw something she wanted to watch on Stan, so signed up. We've discussed cancelling this but there's still content we both want to watch.

Late last year I got onto Amazon Prime. It's fairly cheap and has some fringe benefits but I was thinking I should cancel it because it's not in use. Then I see a new Star Trek series coming out next year (ST: Picard) and my brain imploded.

Eventually we'll have Disney and all their content will be removed from the services we also have, so that might be another service to sign up for.

I'm already paying $30/mth. It's too much already and it's going to get worse.

Last edited by a moderator: 25th Jul, 2019
  16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

how much time do you guys have!!!?:)

I dont have anything, and if I had to choose it would be netflix for $10 per month

Foxtel at $50-$100 per month, surprised they are still in business

isnt this merger, just foxtel getting out of a failing business, while netflix is just absorbing the competition?

Pumpkin and Lizzie like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with you - barely have time to watch what I want on free-to-air (or "on demand/iview"), let alone adding in extras

Pumpkin and TMNT like this.
  18. geoffw

I tried watching some free to air on commercial TV tonight.

I got frustrated very quickly with the number of ads.

Kelvin Cunnington and Pumpkin like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lots of time to watch my fav shows, guilt free, my choice

Kelvin Cunnington and Pumpkin like this.
  20. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

The only way a Netflix foxtel merger would work for me is if I could pay an extra ~$5 a month for the HBO content with my. Netflix subscription.

Peter_Tersteeg likes this.