Foundations/fundamentals for trading - recommendations

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by d3outguncom, 16th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. d3outguncom

d3outguncom Well-Known Member

Having been a died-in-the-wool property only investor for my entire adult life, I only came into awareness/interest in shares through this site (which I joined for more property info) and this forum.

I have, as a result of reading the every post for the last 2 years on several share focused threads here, made my first foray into shares, which was a 50/50 split of 80% of our cash (which was slated for further property purchases) into VAS and VGS.

I am now looking to use 80% of the other 20% to "tilt" into trading and, being the researcher and analyst that I am, am looking for clarity around developing the foundations of trading signals (e.g. technical analysis, research basis, etc.).

I do not intend to be a day trader, getting in and out 3 times a day on highs and lows, however would suspect I would enter when, for example, signals look like they are going to cross trend lines. I'm happy to put some skin in the game at risk to learn the ropes, however would prefer not to spend weeks finding where to find educate myself on the fundamentals of trading trends and technical analysis.

If you were starting trading now, with the knowledge you have, what books, sites, short course, etc would you do to get yourself going on trading.

Thanks in advance,
    D3

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Chris Tate is one of the first people to ever release a share trading book in Australia and has had an extraordinary impact on thousands of traders. Best selling author of ‘The Art of Trading’ and ‘The Art of Options Trading in Australia’ (also: Taming the Bear and Understanding Futures Trading in Australia), his brutally honest approach and meticulous pursuit of excellence, ensure that exceptional traders all around the world quote his market comments.
    Home - Trading Game

Last edited: 17th Sep, 2020
    BunnyXiao likes this.
  3. mtat

mtat Well-Known Member

Then don't trade. There's countless managers out there whose entire lives revolve around trading. And yet most of them under-perform the market.

number 5 likes this.
  4. d3outguncom

OK, thanks. I think I'm hearing "stick to ETFs" :)

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Given that you are not willing to spend time on this, probably a good idea.

6. mtat

mtat Well-Known Member

Well there's a reason why index-tracking ETFs are recommended. They're one of the best ways to invest.

That TradingGame website is a load of ****. I guarantee they have made more money from their "mentor program" than from their own trading.

Even their website design looks dodgy.

mdk likes this.
  7. TickerHound

TickerHound Well-Known Member

You need to:

- find a system that works (not as easy as you might think)
    - find a system that works for you - i.e. you personally believe in
    - have a strong ability to follow rules
    - spend lots of time learning that system in a theoretical sense
    - spend lots of time learning to trade the system in a live setting, preferably with a mentor, and willing to push through major setbacks
    - be willing to stick to the system when its edge isn't present in the market, or you have a series of natural loses, and not jump around to other systems
    - trade the system through a full market cycle
    - continue to spend lots of time studying, learning and improving forever.

So... yes, best for most people to stick to ETFs :)

mtat likes this.
  8. d3outguncom

TickerHound and mtat like this.