Forums

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by MTR, 13th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Hi All

I am a member on another property forum that does not allow topics on religion or politics...

Your thoughts? Should/should not on PC???

Am thinking No, now??? It perhaps takes away from what a property forum is about???

MTR

Last edited: 14th Oct, 2018
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Problem when politics and property investment overlaps, like with Labor and negative gearing?

Skinman likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

From a moderation point of view, these topics certainly create a LOT more work - so it is not surprising that many sites choose to forbid them.

The problem is that so many people seem to take the topics personally and cannot simply have a reasoned discussion about the issues without resorting to attacks on either the subject or on the people posting with views which do not agree with theirs.

For example, there is so much hatred out there for Trump, many of the posts made by members resort to personal attacks on him (name calling, etc), which doesn't actually add any value to the discussion. We get it that they don't like him - but continually expressing that hatred is not constructive. At the same time, some people who actually support trump get frustrated with the constant attacks and resort to attacks on the posters in return - which also adds no value and is actually likely to get them in trouble for breaking the rules.

This is why I recently added the politics forum guidelines to try and help members understand what I feel constitutes reasonable posts and why so many posts get edited or removed.

We banned these discussions for many years on Somersoft because it was too hard.

I'm trying to find a balance on PropertyChat - my job here is to facilitate discussion, not suppress it. However, there are some topics which are so emotive that a reasonable discussion simply cannot take place.

We are here to discuss property and investing - I certainly don't want to be banning people for posts they make in threads about politics, especially when those people actually add value when discussing real estate.

I don't want to ban entire topics - I think we can end up missing out on valuable discussion and insights if we go down that path. I'm aiming for a more subtle approach and using the tools we have available in the forum software to help guide the discussions.

I'm not sure we've got the balance right yet and perhaps I'm being too idealistic? Always happy to consider suggestions for how we might improve things.

Travelbug, charttv, qak and 4 others like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

By the way - if anyone is struggling with their will power in staying away from discussions which lead them to post with frustration or anger and are thus likely to get them in trouble - I am happy to restrict your posting rights in those topics so that you cannot post there (but can still post elsewhere on the forum).

Currently I can do this for either Politics or Economics discussion topics. If you request a personal topic ban - it is reversible on request if you change your mind.

Travelbug and Redwing like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It also sneaks in through any school funding debates ie public vs independent vs religious schools.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What if they lack the will power to ask you ..:D

Phantom likes this.
  7. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

The owner of that forum may have their own strong religious or political views ?

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes
    It is also a US property forum???

9. Perthguy

But that happens with a lot of threads in the property market economics threads also. I think some people can't handle another poster not agreeing with them.

Say a member made zero effort to make money in a particular market over a ten year time frame because they saw the market as too hard to make money from. They would have strong views of that market. They post a lot about that market.

Then another poster comes along. They have built a multi-million dollar portfolio in the same market over the same time period. They post their views on the market that are very different to the other poster.

There is no way these posters will ever agree but that is not the issue. The issue is how they disagree. They can disagree in a way that builds understanding or disagree in a way that creates conflict. Personally, I don't think it is necessary to create conflict in a discussion about property economics but it seems to happen a lot. I don't know if it intentional or a lack of skill of those posters. Some of the posters have been intractable, so it could be either or both.

Maybe part of the solution is teaching posters how to disagree without causing conflict if that is what they are willing to do. I was reading this earlier this week:

The problem is not usually with the actual disagreement; the problem is with how the disagreement is delivered. You can deliver and receive a disagreement, and both parties benefit, or you can deliver a disagreement and create conflict, mistrust, and unnecessary awkwardness.

Disagreement can be productive if done right. In the first part of this article, you will learn how to respectfully disagree. In the second part, you will learn how to handle it when someone disagrees with you.

In business, disagreement done right can build trust, done wrong, can hurt trust and performance.

How to Disagree Respectfully in a Business Environment - Magnetic Speaking

Some members could perhaps be coached to disagree without creating conflict. Others seem determined to disrupt discussions and create conflict if they don't get their own way. We have seen a few of these over the years.

MWI likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Given how vigorous the current debate about US politics is here in Australia (on PropertyChat), I can only imagine it is even more divisive in the US - so I'm not surprised they have these bans.

FWIW, I know quite a few other forums which ban these discussions too - it's certainly not uncommon.

11. Simon Hampel

Yes, this is why both the Politics forum and the Economics forum have restrictions on them for new members - and the same mechanism also allows me to ban people from posting in that topic.

In many cases these people are just trolls - they aren't interested in adding value, they just want to make their point known.

There are a lot of people who resent the increases in property prices - either because they are trying to buy a property themselves, or they are simply ideologically opposed to property investment or personal wealth. These people feed on the negative sentiment published by certain economics commentators (you know, the ones who have predicted the dozen or so recessions we've had in the past 10 years :rolleyes: ) - and delight in causing consternation amongst the "earnest property investors".

It's called "throwing grenades" ... you lob what you will know to be a very controversial statement on a forum and then sit back and watch the indignant replies come thick and fast. It's a game to them.

We have one person who has been banned at least 10 times already for this kind of destructive behaviour (and more specifically about personal attacks they resort to when our members challenge their point of view) - has shown zero interest in anything relating to property investing - and loves to start controversial threads in the economics forum.

I don't have a problem with people posting negative or bearish opinions - but only if they are doing so from the the perspective of an investor analysing the markets, managing risk and looking for opportunities - and provided that they have actually put some thought into it and have some reasonable basis for their point of view. Someone who has no intention of ever buying an investment property is not going to add value to a property investment forum!

That's kind of like what I'm trying to do with the Politics forum guidelines - I'd like to weed out the name calling and the emotional posts and encourage people to just post about the issues.

Some people seem to take these topics very personally and have difficulty separating their personal feelings and emotions from a reasoned argument.

Lizzie and Perthguy like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I guess if you post frequently on this forum you will most certainly get people disagree with you, that is fine. I guess its how its delivered.

It would be fatal

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No one shoot me.... but just thought I would throw it out there, and certainly to bounce ideas.

Forums are a great way of learning and networking.....but ……..

Mistakes

If you are going to ask a question, at least do some basic homework before asking question. Not a crime not knowing stuff we were all newbies, but no excuse for not taking some time to research basics. You will be more likely to generate more interest in members replying????

Don't ask for a MENTOR on your first, second or even third post.:p Its your investment journey take control. Most people on PC give free advice, but how many actually have time to become a mentor ??

Don't come on the forum looking for a fight or make someone feel foolish.

Stop being a taker BE A GIVER
    You know what I mean, those who come on a forum ask a million questions, and don't give back. Worse PM with their scenario, they get a reply and wait for it .............. never hear from then again, not even a thank you.

Am I being a little harse…….

Mining Money likes this.
  14. Simon Hampel

I think part of the issue there is that some people genuinely don't know anything and will see "asking a question on the forum" as doing their basic research.

I think spending some time reading the forum first would be a better choice - but then, there is so much information there that it can be difficult to locate, especially if you don't already know what you are looking for. I'm aiming to help with that somewhat with the new version of the website.

This thread from the early days of Somersoft is still very relevant here: teach us to fish

In particular the reply from "The Wife" is one of the best ever written on this topic - teach us to fish

FWIW, I do know that some of the service providers who frequent the forum get a LOT of enquiries in private via the forum from people looking for basically free advice.

What they should be doing is either asking a general question on the forum for everyone to learn from for free - or else actually paying for specific personalised advice. You can't have it both ways!

bmc and MTR like this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm not a service provider but I've stopped answering random PMs now. Perhaps a little rude but I value my free time.

MTR and Perthguy like this.
  16. Simon Hampel

Maybe I should add a button to the PM reply page which auto-replies "Thanks for your message, but you would be better off posting a question on the forum for everyone to benefit from" :rolleyes: :D

bmc, Perthguy, Terry_w and 1 other person like this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I have actually told quite a few PMs to post the question to the broader forum because I simply don't know the answer! I don't know every single market, strategy etc etc.etc. I think some people are afraid they may get ridiculed or 'look silly' on an open forum..

Perthguy likes this.
  18. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Another forum I am on (not property related) disables PM’s until you have a certain number or posts on the forum. That might be a good idea?

MTR likes this.
  19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

please do!

20. Perthguy

I have suggested that exact same thing to quite a few people who have flicked me tandom PMs. Like, what is the best suburb in Perth to invest in? Um... ask the forum. :)

Terry_w likes this.