Education & Work Forced to work overnights

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Agree with @bob shovel some employees may actually prefer the later shifts, could it be on some sort of bid or preference system? Some people might prefer early starts and finishes etc.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I just went back to op and the people that wanted the nights got jack of it thanks to management. So that idea is no good.

Out the gate for 48! Get those union meat heads to come in and stir the pot

3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

The union rep says they can force us to do overnights.
    See youre thinking like a good manager.

He just wants to dictate.

So he picks every opportunity to dictate. I had one person tell me a while back she said she wanted 3 overnight shifts. He said no you can only do 2. Keeping in mind they are actually desperate to fill overnight shifts. But he will take every opportunity to challenge and dictate regardless of operational requirements.

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It's hard to know what to suggest with that sort of management attitude. The likely result is high employee turnover, high levels of sick leave coming up and poor morale.

Is there anyone above him who the collective employee group could complain to?
    Is it possible as a group to put some heat on the manager?

Tim86 likes this.
  5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

There are two managers above him. And those will be my exact questions to the union when I ring them.

HUGH72 likes this.
  6. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

@bob shovel these posts from you make me lol bud; apologies for the derail

bob shovel likes this.
  7. bob shovel

The people you work with make the job!
    Clearly i need an attitude readjustment :D
    I was known as the renegade at one job by the boss! But i got it done and he thought it was funny, the others weren't happy with me though cause they wanted to pay the long game

Tim86 likes this.
  8. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I would say that you won't be able to fall back on what they told you in the original interview, especially as it's not in writing. Basically, you've had a decent run with that little number.
    Unfortunately, it seems that 'management' have decided to start afresh with all conditions at default.
    The fact that he tells you to reconsider your job just for sending that email suggests a few things:

1. He doesn't see you as irreplaceable
    2. He has very poor management skills and though he thinks he has the support of his superiors, they will soon turn on him when things go pear-shaped. Give it 6 months and he'll be gone.
    3. Whoever employed him is also a douche. Like attracts like and management from the top definitely has a trickle-down effect. The next one won't be much better.

You've been talking about LSL etc but my guess is it's more like 4 weeks rather than 3 or 6 months. Is it worth it?

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2016
    Tim86, wylie and bob shovel like this.
  9. bob shovel

Great summary! Is that a big reason why you're investing? To get away from the office politics! It's high on my list

Very true!

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah probably 4 weeks worth with the lsl.

Considering its just until october to get that lsl its worth it.

Im thinking of waiting until next year and quitting at the start of the year. I should have my house done by then. And then Im thinking of going back and studying for 1 year and then doing the 1 year supervised to get my full accreditation as a psychologist so that Im no longer just a counsellor.

I think thats probably the best plan of action. I originally planned to get full accreditation but I got comfortable and lazy. But now I would prefer to put in the effort to get accreditation rather than cop **** from some *******. Accreditation means I can get approx $80 an hour medicare rebate for clients. So its a good long term plan.

Wife just told me today that with all our investments we should still have $500 a week spare after expenses if neither of us are working. So thats a lot more than I thought. Which makes leaving the job the obvious choice.

WattleIdo, Gockie, Bran and 1 other person like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Have you checked if you can take LSL on half rate? That would give you two months on half pay while you start your study.

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah I should check that.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

So tell them you are leaving to study and give three months notice (the standard one month to leave the job and take the remaining months as LSL at half pay.

Or just get 100% paid out at once.

14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

So over it.
    Have loved working by myself for the last 5 years. Have had some good bosses and some mares as well. Unfortunately, as I get older it gets easier to see the problems and harder to disguise my disapproval. In the last place I worked none of the people who were supposed to be managing me had any quals while I'm qualified and experienced to the eyeballs. I never try to act superior but they sure did. Super frustrating when they think they're better business people too.
    Changing jobs is a bit of a process but can be healthier. Start fresh and stay enthusiastic for up to 2 years at least. Just as long as there are enough jobs out there it's all ok.
    @Tim86 $500 a week after expenses is great!
    Am currently changing a few loans around and working out that the prospect of not working for a while is not as scary as it used to be.

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2016
    Tim86 and bob shovel like this.
  15. Glorion

Glorion Well-Known Member

What's your background? BPsych? If you're talking about 4+2 for generalist registration, can't say I blame you for putting that off heh!

Tim86 likes this.
  16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah thats the background. And yeah not looking forward to jumping through all the hoops they require. But better than the current situation.

17. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Tim, you're probably not going to listen but I kinda agree with your boss on this.

This part of the email is the main problem:

"I've done them before here, I've chipped in. But they are horrible and dangerous soul destroying shifts. Last time I worked them I had some nights where I was shaking too much to be able to use the mouse to click and answer calls. I persevered last time and did my part regardless. I really really don't want to be forced to work overnights again please."

You've basically disrespected everyone else in your organisation who is doing those shifts. How do you think those people would feel if you label the times that they work as horrible and soul destroying?

The best email responses stick solely to facts, as soon as you draw emotion in you've lost the argument unfortunately, even if you have a valid point.

18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Depends what you want to read into what I said. Give anyone anything and they can read into it in such a way to find it offensive.

When my boss talked about disrepectfulness. He was referring to the rostering team and the process he put forward. He doesnt care about other counsellors. He just has the ***** because I put in reasons why I didnt want to do the overnight shifts in that particular email because apparently that part of the process is a one on one with him later on. Nevermind the fact that the form they gave us to fill in asked for our reason for changing the roster they initially proposed to us.

Very confusing process with a very touchy boss.

And considering the guy told us all 6 weeks ago that our rosters would all be changing and then went on holidays and gave us no more information and no chance to ask questions or share concerns... just sit on it for 6 weeks... you can understand where the emotion is coming from.

He went on another holiday after giving everyone their rosters. Then he berates me for not speaking to him about my concerns... its a bit hard when the captain of the ship steers you into a storm and then ****** off in a life raft to holiday on a tropical island. Then comes back long enough to yell at you for how you are handling the storm he stuck you with.

But anyway...

19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

tell him you want to permanently do night shifts every day!!!!

does that mean he will give you none?

Tim86 likes this.
  20. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of doing that and then once he fills all the shifts tell him Im leaving.

Gockie likes this.