Education & Work Forced to work overnights

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Tim86, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be about being tougher though, too much shift work which isn't structured correctly and follows established best practices is harmful to mental and physical health.
    It reduces life expectancy, damages relationships, is associated with weight gain, excessive alcohol consumption and it can suck.

shimmy, Tim86 and bob shovel like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Tim86 - long service in the building industry is portable, so you shouldn't be losing this if you quit, just your unused sick leave.

3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Not in the building industry. I build my own stuff on the side though.

Got to just hang in until october to get my long service leave.

Makes it harder to quit right now too because when you are doing a building project on the side you kind of want to keep the current income and the days you work so that you can keep the days free that you need to finish what you started.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Hmm, wait till long service leave then get something else lined up? Maybe one that you can start after 1-2 weeks break :)

Tim86 likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Can you take double the time LSL in half the pay? That was what I did. Also hubby was very unhappy at work, knew his request to take LSL would be refused and only way to get some breathing space without resigning was to take sick leave, get a certificate that he needed time off and he was allowed to roll over into LSL rather than stay on either sick or stress leave.

He only took a week sick leave but could have taken a lot longer. He chose not to and only took enough to get a certificate to force his employer to allow him to take his LSL. They also had changed their workplace conditions drastically and he'd gone from happy to miserable over a gradual period.

Tim86 likes this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

OMG - your LSL is in 3 months? No question... ride it out.

JenW, shimmy, wylie and 2 others like this.
  7. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

For sure...

My mum was going to tell her employer that she was retiring on a Monday and give the required notice. The previous Friday they made her redundant with about 9 months pay!!

mrdobalina, HUGH72, Waldo and 2 others like this.
  8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Definitely

I thought of this song reading your post.quite appropriate in @Tim86 's situation :D

9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Why not get the business from home you were discussing a while ago off the ground?

10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

New EBA's are meant to be voted on by people employed there. So who voted for the new EBA with the crappy roster? See here: Fair Work Australia

They also have to have provision in them for flexibility arrangements.. if you signed an individual contract upon employment 5 years ago, then you're not covered by the terms of the EBA anyway. You're still covered by the terms of your original contract, unless your company has 'forced/tricked' you into signing a new one?

shimmy and HUGH72 like this.
  11. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

LSL is pro-rated, isn't it? Is there much benefit in getting to the full period?

(Never worked long enough in one job to look into it much!)

sanj likes this.
  12. Aconis

Aconis Well-Known Member

I got pro rata LSL after 8 years. I think the minimum is 7.

13. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Shift work is bad you don't have to explain to me ,my partner is on rotating shift. Days one week, after noons and nights the next.

She is currently studying to find new work.

It sucks but it is what it is

I can't feel "sorry" for the OP

14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Just got a scathing email reply from my boss. Firstly here is the email I sent the rostering crew:

"Hi. I don't envy your job right now. Organizing these very difficult rosters with equally difficult people must be absolute hell!

I've returned a counter proposal for the roster.

I know it's give and take with these sorts of things. I don't mind working until 10pm or midnight. I know a lot of people with families don't like those shifts because they never get to see their kids. So that's what I'm prepared to give. What I would ask that you please don't take is my overnights. I really don't want to work overnights. I've done them before here, I've chipped in. But they are horrible and dangerous soul destroying shifts. Last time I worked them I had some nights where I was shaking too much to be able to use the mouse to click and answer calls. I persevered last time and did my part regardless. I really really don't want to be forced to work overnights again please.

I'm also just wondering. With the forced overnight shifts that we are being given, how long will we be forced to work them for? Will it be like in the past when I've done overnight shifts where I was guaranteed that I was allowed to drop the shift after doing it for 6 months? Or will I be forced to work this roster until I quit?

Thanks for your consideration"

I also sent a follow up email demonstrating how the current proposed roster would impact my sleep as I would only get the opportunity to get 5 hours sleep over a 64hr period due to the 10pm start then 4am start then 4pm start. I asked to please not be forced to work that roster as it would literally kill me from the fatigue causing a car accident.

Anyway thats what I sent in. I did actually have a good mate die from a car accident because of fatigue. And losing that friend does make me take the issue very seriously.

Here is the reply my boss sent:

"Tim

I have seen this and other responses you have sent the rostering team regarding this - and to be honest your comments are completely inappropriate and out of line.

You are aware of the process and I have clearly spelt out that there will be an opportunity to discuss proposed changes with me or **** where we can't accommodate initial requests. This is a fair process that gives everyone an opportunity to work things out in a mature way.

Instead you have chosen to respond in the manner you have to staff who are only doing their job (and working extremely hard to get the work done). Your response is disrespectful to them and reflects very poorly on your own attitude.

If you have a problem with something you come and see me - but do not ever, ever respond to **** or **** in the manner you have.

I'm completely unimpressed by the argument that you "have done their bit". You knowingly signed up for this work which requires people to work in a shift environment. That's the "bit" we ask everyone to do - whether you have been here two weeks or two years. If you don't like having to do your "bit" I strongly encourage you to think very critically about whether this is the right place for you to be working.

Tim - I expected far better than this from you.

If you are making a counter proposal please do so as requested in my original email. If not please indicate your agreement to the original proposed roster..."

Interestingly I said in the interview for the job that I didnt want the job if it meant doing overnights. They said I wouldnt have to.

Also I've previously volunteered to pick up night shifts so that I didnt have to pick them up later when I was in the middle of a building project like I am now. Because I was told that if I did overnights I would be on the bottom of the list to be asked to do them again.

And the comments I sent through were sent because the roster proposal form literally had a section that said "reason for change" so I said my reasons.

And thats the response I get for sharing my concerns...

15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If that email from you was all you sent, you have been polite (though I think you said 'please' too many times).

Talk to the Union for advice.

Do you have a record of the ’no nights' agreement ( though you also said you had chosen to do overnights at times?)

16. bob shovel

Sounds like you got someone in hot water? Did you go over your managers head by sending the email to **** and ***** ?

17. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Nope sent it to the rostering team as directed and obviously he is overseeing that team right now.

18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

That is literally all I sent through. I had to check that I didnt accidentally send something mean... but nah thats all I sent.

19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Tim86 likes this.
  20. bob shovel

That's the point you need to push. But unfortunately in a shift work environment everyone should do their bit ... but people should be able to preference their shifts or have some say. Some people may want to nights for extra $ or suits them

They might be copping it from everyone atm and telling the boss to get fluffed too

Gockie likes this.