For Christmas my back porch flooded - Brisbane storm water guy recommendations?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Bran, 24th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I knew we had some issues with drainage, but we were trying to hold off until we could afford a pool/professional landscaping.

Today, determined to find out the water issues, I found water welling up from BENEATH my paved area.

I pulled up the section and dug down to a broken pipe, but with no apparent distal run-off implying a blockage, as well as the broken section.

The pipe disappears beneath a 3 metre slab, then I'm guessing runs underneath our grass toward a visible storm water manhole cover.

I can't see any way other than to dig up the slab, or at least the grass first to try and find the blockage.

There is a very large, but very old mango tree not too far away, but I think the piping work is 6-12 months old (but a bit DIY by the hands-on previous owner)

Failing a successful DIY, any recommendations on someone who can reasonably but competently fix this for me?

Attached Files:

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Always do the easiest things first! Cut concrete last
    Find where it goes to and work back.are you sure it's a storm water man hole? Not sewer?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Turn on your hose, push it down the line. If it runs it's not blocked. If the hose stops feeding down the line its blocked. Pull the hose back & use its length as a guide to how far along thenline is blocked.

clint05 likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did this happen after that rain we had this afternoon, ie. rainwater not getting away. Or do you think it is a blocked pipe related to toilet, shower and/or sink?

If you need a good plumber, I have one (think you have already got his name from me).

Bran likes this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Thanks Scott . Pretty sure its blocked as I removed a bend and can see water coming out one end, and not draining

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Hose may dislodge or break up any soil build up. You could use a Gerni with the drain clearing attachment.

Bran likes this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Nope - I think I have every other service covered though!
    Can't hurt to try!
    It looks like they did the dodgy, which may well have allowed dirt to enter. There was a pre-made hole in the back of a pipe, with nothing connected to it.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Give me a reminder tomorrow and I'll send details of a plumber friend :).