Flying Perth to Melb return

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propin, 26th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My son wants to go to Melbourne for Christmas with his girlfriend and family if the borders open and book it tonight. I haven’t really being paying much attention On travelling in the current climate but know some people have gotten part refunds, no refunds and total refunds. What would be the safest option to ensure you don’t get ripped off if travel needs to be cancelled or postponed? Doesn’t sound like a good idea to me but my son is keen.

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I went thru Webjet and got a total refund from Virgin - and a 12 month credit from Jetstar - after SA borders shut (still waiting to visit the now-over-6-mth-first-grandchild) ... but only because the borders were officially shut by the government.

Not sure how you'd go if it was a change by choice

Propin likes this.
  3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Recently I have someone needing to travel Perth -> HK. The airline cancelled the flight with a few days notice and offer the next available from Sydney -> HK. We have to pay Perth -> Sydney and no compensation for it. Of course we can wait for the next direct flight available but the airline can't guarantee beyond a tentative schedule.

Propin likes this.
  4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

How did you do this? Both kept redirecting me to the other...

Propin likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Jetstar has a new feature called FareCredit that can be added to a ticket. The blurb says that if you need to cancel, you get a credit.

Propin likes this.
  6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes I saw that

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Virgin/Webjet contacted me via email with an alternative date. I advised it didn't suit and could I please have a refund ... and they gave it. Jetstar I had to contact direct and they simply gave the credit, no questions asked

8. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Qantas have extended fly flexible, I had no issues with getting large trips refunded this year but likely due to status

Virgin have flexibility around changes also, I had issues with refunds initially but credits for future travel were no issue

I don’t fly Jetstar so can’t comment on them.

Using third party booking agents can complicate things and turn into a bit of a **** fight have seen a bit of that this year but appears most providers are adapting policy now, difference between boarder closure and just changing dates etc

9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Gamble paid off! Borders opened, flights jumped at least $400. Hopefully everyone can stay Covid safe!

10. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Dammit, I'm one of the suckers that was waiting for the announcement before booking my Perth to Melbourne trip.

11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

That’s a shame! Even when I was booking cheap flights at 6.00am the following morning after this post they were disappearing fast. I was on the Jetstar sight and by the time I got to the checkout it said my flight departing was sold Out and I had to start again. I booked the same Jetstar flights through Qantas instead. Even though it said there were no seats available for the return flight I clicked on it anyway and somehow it booked it?? Maybe one became available before the page refreshed. The company changed their flights today from Returning late afternoon to returning early morning.

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

We booked for Melb about 4 weeks ago, so we got in before the frenzy and price hikes

If it all went to pot, we would have received credit. Airbnb also sorted, had a 24 hour window to cancel, full refund

Family is very excited to be together again

Propin likes this.
  13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Reports say to wait a few days as more flights will be scheduled.

14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Feeling so lucky my son came home this morning!! Crazy times ! I’m glad he got rescheduled from late afternoon!

qak and The Y-man like this.
  15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Maybe he can stay in his room for two weeks though...he’s been on a farm 1.5 hrs from Melbourne for the past week at least

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Should be ok, but maybe get tested anyway and keep a sharp eye out for symptoms.

The Y-man

17. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks, will do. He has to have a test on the 11th day. C112B32C-EE6F-4926-8784-93233223E9A1.png

Lizzie and The Y-man like this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So you stay in your premises and can't leave at all, but you must leave your premises on day 11 for a test?

19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

By the sounds - but my son said there is drive through places, although I think I did read also it may be hard to be tested due to high demand at the same time. He arrived here around 7.00am so I’m hoping it’s before peak testing.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Huge disappointment for my family, was scheduled to fly to Melb 7 January, hard borders now in place.