Floorplan changes/Master retreat

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Stoffo, 24th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    This is the largely existing floorplan.

I've always struggled with the kids going back and forward, and back, then forward past bed one (particularly of a morning when it's been either my first chance for a sleep in or I'm working shift).

Recently my parents have had a few health issue's (stroke and mobility) and I realized that sooner than later at least one of them will be living with us (yes, this is our choice) so am looking to make bed 4 the master retreat/bedroom for when this occurs.
    20210424_152612.jpg
    The kitchen/living/dining has already been renovated and open plan.
    @Westminster and @wylie always have good suggestions
    This level is on piers/bearers/joists with brick verneer, so plumbing-drainage is relatively easy to move and am happy to move/replace windows, but the external walls are fixed/set, so no extension possible.
    *stage 2 will possibly be another master bed and ensuite downstairs, so am not worried about losing the robe and ensuite for the current Bed 1.
    Yes its Sydney, no I don't want to move....
    View from Bed 4
    20210424_153625.jpg
    TIA

Archaon and Perthguy like this.
  2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Also while I'm asking...
    Looking for somewhere to buy/supply a big wide pivot entry door, aluminum and clear glass with a side shug window to replace this 80's monster
    20210424_113541.jpg
    Have champagne taste with a beer budget :oops: (due to our estimates exceeding our savings).
    Located 2232 :cool:

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

This is the best I've come up with so far....
    20210424_154840.jpg
    Removing the linen and bed 3 robe allows the hall to be moved over giving the main bath and ensuite more space, but they are still "tight" for room without stealing more from bed 4.
    The idea of having a robe between bed 4 and the ensuite is to cut down on noise/disturbance (rather than a walk thru)
    There is enough room for a desk or couch in bed 4, making it more a retreat than just a bedroom.

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2021
    luckyone likes this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

So is the new master for you to move into or for your folks?

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Either or both of the parents, it's only 6 steps up into the living from that level.
    Also need to take into account resale eventually....
    Have always liked the idea of waking up to the view over the valley, am not sure why the floorplan didn't have the Master at that end originally :rolleyes:
    Stage 2 (aka stage 5) would involve downstairs, converting the rumpus to a teenage retreat/master, and under bed 4 to a rumpus
    20210424_162548.jpg

Archaon likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Yes the new location allows for much better privacy, no elephant foot children running past and nice proportions. I'll put my thinking cap on

Archaon and Stoffo like this.
  7. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

Are you ok being laundry-less until Stage 2 is done?

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

We lived without a kitchen for 4 months, so I could rig up a washing machine easy enough, or the local laundromat isn't that far

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

How with the kids feel, sharing a bathroom, with either yourselves or your elderly parents - as you've converted the current master ensuite to a family bath.

Can you simply convert the WIR into an ensuite - the current ensuite/laundry to the smallish family bath - and then the current family bath/laundry to the second new ensuite?

The laundry can go into a hall cupboard next to the linen - and install the new robe in the 3rd bed

Gives you the option of either/or master with ensuite - and kinda think current bed 4 (extended) would be great for the parents, as there would be room for a lounge/tv - and hence their own private space (you'd put the robe along the wall backing onto the lounge)

Looking at the dimensions - they're not big room ... any chance of a "bathroom bump out" for bed4 instead of conversion?

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

It’s the orange glass that is the killer.

As a short term measure, have you considered just painting the glass to a neutral colour to tone in with the brick work?

We have/had similar small orange glass panels in our timber front door. As replacing the door was more than we wanted to pay, we simply painted the glass cream as a stop-gap measure. That was about 10 years ago.......

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Tell me about it :eek:
    I cut the spine so we could install polished timer floor boards with the intention of putting in a new door, for 7 years it has been swinging with the breeze blowing in under:confused:
    We had originally decided on a timber pivot door, but were short of the $6k plus installation at the time :(
    We have gone without for long enough so it it time to do a few bits, this is first on the list to knock over ;)
    It will make such a difference and modernize the overall appearance :D

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Isn’t the existing laundry downstairs and therefore unaffected?

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Ah yes - appears it is. I mistook the vanity in the main bath for a "laundry" zone

Another alternative is to knock thru bed 1 and bed 2 (which is tiny) to make on large bedroom, which then gives even more room for the WIR convert to ensuite - ensuite to main bath - main bath to ensuite ... and then turn the downstairs "kids zone" rumpus into two good sized bedrooms and their own bathroom. They'll love you for it as teenagers.

If it were me - and I had cash to burn - I'd also be opening up the living/dining/kitchen for flow thru - even if just by widening openings, and hence sightlines ... and what is that area between the kitchen and dining that looks like a hallway to nowhere?

Stoffo likes this.
  14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

UnfortunatelyI don't have cash to burn, it's in property or doesn't exist........:(

Opened upstairs up a few years ago:D
    20130820_201607.jpg
    The alcove in the rumpus(next to shower/toilet) is already a seperate room for the eldest.
    Have toyed with the idea of losing bed 2 into a robe/ensuite for bed 1, but as it has a full size window next to the main entry (externally) the appearance might not look as nice with it bricked in.....

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Very noice

Stoffo likes this.
  16. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

What are the dimensions of Bed 4?

Here is a rough sketch in paint, haha, hopefully you can see what i'm going for.

I'll draw it up better when I have a chance.

rough.jpg

17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I like your thinking, only issue is the wir & ensuite are only 2.5 wide & 1.5 deep each (part of the reason I took away the linen and robe (from bed 3) to move the hallway over to make more room.

I don't mind hacking up bed 3, it is a good sized room at 3.7x3.3, but has only ever been a spare room (people love it, it's quiet and cosy) but due to the ****** little 900mm wide window that is already in an alcove making the room dark & gloomy....

I did try to make it fit, bed 4 being 3.6x3.6 with enough room for a couch/desk on the rhs, with 2 robes instead of a wir, but it is all just too tight :(
    20210427_185907.jpg
    We didn't like the idea of reducing the number of bedrooms upstairs
    Am going to draw up @Lizzie idea of making bed 2 a wir & ensuite for bed 1 ;)
    Or, make bed 2 the main bath maybe (so many sketches :oops:)

Archaon likes this.
  18. Firefly99

Perhaps something slightly different. Takes a bit more space from Bed 3 (by reallocating the Bed 3 robe to Bed 4). I wasn’t sure about a toilet for the main bathroom. Is that elsewhere?

Attached Files:

Stoffo likes this.
  19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Realized when doing these that I forgot tbe toilet @Firefly99 :eek::oops:

Nice idea, after drawing the below pic I have decided that I won't be having the entry to the ensuite off/from the bedroom......

Bed 2, as a main bath and as ensuite/robe
    20210427_195845.jpg
    As a main bath it is a good big size (but I still have a floor to ceiling window facing the entry/south to deal with) and leaves me with room for a wir and ensuite to bed 4 (at the loss of bed 2 though)

As an ensuite/wir it doesn't much work for me either, noise carries when you use the toilet and having an ensuite directly off the bedroom is a definitive no....

Bed 4 originally, 3050x3000 (or 3575 if including the original robe space) @Archaon
    I have played with the idea of putting a robe to the left wall of bed 4 also, main issue with bed 4 is the 3050mm as its not deep enough (hence why stealing space from bed 3 or the main bath/arch area)

I realize I'm trying to fit too much into a small box :confused:
    Am going to have to make some serious compromises :(

Last edited: 27th Apr, 2021
  20. Firefly99

Can you push Bed 3 into the living area a bit to get some extra space? It looks like a decent size living room.