QLD Flood Prone Areas

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sean Reynolds, 21st Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sean Reynolds

Sean Reynolds Member

Hi all,

Looking at buying near the Logan Area, and started looking into the Logan City Council Flood Maps (http://www.loganinteractivemapping.com.au/).
    I wanted to use both this data, and quotes from Insurance Companies to determine if it's a risky purchase in this regard.
    I've found property right within a flood prone area (example: 11 Wenlock Crescent, Springwood), and yet looking at online quotes from AAMI or NRMA, the premium is the same as a property outside this flood zone.

Surely these insurance companies have knowledge of this...just curious why this isn't impacting the quoted premium...

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I think insurance companies will base ratings on entire suburbs, not streets. It makes more sense to use streets or even specific houses, but maybe it's easier this way.

3. AaronR

AaronR Well-Known Member

I had a unusually high quote on insurance for my Brisbane PPoR and when I enquired they said it was due to being flood prone. My suburb is nowhere near being flood prone, let alone my house/street; so they definitely use some strange data.

4. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

From what I've read from others experienced in this area, best bet is to ring the insurance companies and request a quote. They'll ask for the property address, along with some other details and put it all into their systems. If they have any issues, they'll quote you with the higher premium.

5. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@Kael that sounds like a good idea, but if you have several IP to be checked, they will think that you are just exploiting them ?

6. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Well for when I did it, I just rang them up and told them that I needed a quote for two properties I was considering purchasing. They asked for the details and addresses and I requested they email them through to me, which they did. Very easy and helpful. In saying that, I am an existing customer, so they were able to look my details up and know I was serious.

Tekoz likes this.
  7. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Check the pd online web site for the council . Easier to interpret . Covers a whole range of risks / map overlays

Our experience suggests the insurance rate according to address , not suburb .

We've had no problems getting quotes with NRMA

Cliff

8. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Ah I see. was it with Suncorp or NRMA ?

9. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

I haven't dealt with Suncorp for a few years but when I did I was able to do it. My main insurer now is Terri Scheer.

Tekoz likes this.