Flexi hose public service announcement

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by thatbum, 23rd Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Just finished giving advice on another matter with an exploding flexi hose. Tenant was out for the day so literally the entire single storey house has been water damaged. Now its uninhabitable.

I heard maybe the newer ones are better? Not sure of the age of this one - I think more than 6 years old at least.

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

How often should they be checked?
    And replaced?

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Thanks, good reminder. I like to replace mine in between tenants but it has been 3 years now...

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

A mate mentioned this to me just last night. Braided hose in his bathroom connected to the dunny burst one day. Luckily, it was in a room with a floor drain.
    I told him that a plumber mate of mine some years ago recommended flex hoses be replaced every couple of years with good quality ones and that when people go away on holidays they turn off the stop cocks at the wall.
    Of course, I have never done this and I have 14 braided hoses - yikes.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I know of a person who was away and the top level of her house collapsed after this happened.

And a week ago our neighbour had her pipe burst. They were going away for the weekend the next day. Thankfully it didn't happen then. She called me and my hubby went over, turned off the water and replaced the hose for her. I think these should be banned.

Toon, Dan Wood and Gockie like this.
  6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Just so that I'm clear next time I talk to my plumber, what's the best alternative I should be asking for?

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I am surprised that insurance companies have not moved to require owners implement and keep records of a minimum replacement interval for these hoses as a condition of accepting a claim. It would be a pain to keep track of but on the other hand a reasonable % of building and contents claims would be attributed to these stupid hoses at present.

Dan Wood likes this.
  8. oasis1frog

oasis1frog Well-Known Member

Are the flexi hoses under the vanity unit ? Can't see any copper pipes in my house.

datto likes this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Flexi hose:

[​IMG]

Look for it anywhere in your house where there is a water connection.

Dan Wood, oasis1frog and thatbum like this.
  11. G..

G.. Well-Known Member

Ask your plumber to replace them with copper pipes. They will need to be carefully bent and shaped to fit and the plumber may try to discourage them because they are a bit of a pain to do compared to just screwing on a flexible hose.

datto and jaybean like this.
  12. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

upload_2021-2-23_18-46-38.png

the new ones recently came out they are plastic "polyamide" so no braided metal so the theory is they cannot burst. the braided metal would rust and weaken then split causing the inside rubber to break under pressure as it's not supported. because these ones are plastic material they will not rust thus can't break down etc.

Propin, Toon and spludgey like this.
  13. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

We've started getting our plumbers to check and replace any that show signs of wear whenever they visit a property. Our plumber has been using 'burstproof' ones which might be similar to these above.

Definitely worth checking and replacing regularly.

SeafordSunshine, wylie and Islay like this.
  14. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

From my Docklands high-rise AGM this evening:

The excess was increased from $1,000 to $5,000 by Insurers as a direct result of the high level
    of water damage claims lodged during the past 5 years. Timber Floating Floors have been
    excluded from the Strata Policy cover as these are the most costly element in all water damage
    claims. Owners with timber floating floors in their apartments will need to ensure that they have
    the value of these floors included in their contents policy.

The major cause of these high cost water damage claims was burst flexible hoses. Given that
    these hoses usually have a life of between 8 to maybe 15 years, unless steps are taken to replace
    these hoses, we will be seeing more and more frequent claims with further increases in premiums
    and claims excesses. Some buildings are now carrying water damage excesses of up to $20,000
    per claim!

A broken flexible hose in an apartment will result in that lot owner being responsible for the
    payment of any excess on that water damage claim. We therefore encourage all owners to have
    their flexible water hoses changed and thereby enjoy the peace of mind that comes from good
    maintenance practices.

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Why you should inspect your flexible hoses

Recommendations for flexible hoses:
    • Always have a licenced plumber install the flexible hose
    • Inspect all hoses regularly (minimum once per year). If you have an interstate property then consider paying a plumber to do this.
    • Replace all hoses every five years for cheap hoses or every ten years for quality hoses (10 year warranty)
    • Ensure the stainless steel sleeve is free from trauma caused by twisting or kinking
    • Ensure the stainless steel sleeve is free from corrosion
    • Do not clean with harsh chemicals
    • Where poor quality hoses are encountered replace with better quality PEX inner core hose with a 10-year manufacturer’s warranty
    • Tag the pipe with the date of installation and the date of the last inspection

Propin and Gockie like this.
  16. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Does the replacement need to be done by a plumber or is it more a should be done by a plumber?

Thanks

17. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

3-5 years proactively by lay person, they're cheap so just set reminders in your calendars and have done.

qak likes this.
  18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Fridges with plumbed water can be bad too. Many will run from under sink all way though cabinets to the fridge and are simple plastic lines. Have heard many horror stories. Worst of all are apartments which may have a perfectly level floor slab. One told me of the whole apartment being a few millimetres of water deep - carpet including from a whole night of flow. Not deep enough to drain but it destroyed almost everything.

Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  19. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Definitely no plumber needed, if you have half a brain.

Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  20. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post @thatbum , as I have first hand knowledge of such an event about 8 weeks ago, ANY plumber that enters any premises should have a mixer tap flexi-hose inspection on their to-do list, and detailed on their invoice, on all occasions.

I can assure you that the outcome of a burst flexi-hose is something that all wallets and purses do not want to experience, particularly when the premises is unoccupied for a <use your imagination> period of time.

Noting that most bathrooms are waterproofed, but not a lot of kitchens are.

And tossing out the mixer taps and replacing them with traditional tap plumbing is MASSIVELY cheaper than dealing with the aftermath of the above.

In case anybody is interested...