flatmates

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Fernfurn, 27th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Fernfurn

Fernfurn Well-Known Member

Anyone ever rented rooms out under 'flatmates.com'. Friend is doing this and keeps one room for herself so she can pop back anytime to check out how they are keeping it. Gets couples touring oz for month at a time and long term tenants who don't want to pay to rent a whole house. Anyone any experience of this?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Depends what you mean exactly. I live with housemates in a sharehouse now and pretty much have been my whole adult life. There's pros and cons. Or did you mean as an alternative to 'normally' renting out an IP?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  3. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

I presume you are asking about the website?
    Yes I know many people who have used it, and the experience had been very good. It has profiles of people who contact you, and you can chat before you meet them.

Of course general precaution applies....

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

A few years back when it was just me and my house I rented two rooms out and collected $360 per week. I used the RTRA Act Rooming Accommodation forms & docs etc to manage the arrangements. Worked well. Things to note, you are not eligible for landlords insurance on your PPOR when you live there and rent out rooms under these type of arrangements, so in that regard, there is a small avenue for risk, but generally if you're living there you would have a good degree of control over how the property is being treated etc.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.