First world problems 2021

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Scott No Mates, 2nd Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

My phone did not update to reflect daylight saving. It is set to "Automatic date and time set by network provider." OK but the provider is apparently located in Brisbane. I'm in Canberra.

Now I'm not surprised why I received a somewhat terse text about me being late.

geoffw likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I really don't like when something is not charged correctly at the cash register.

I wanted a line trimmer. Petrol ones don't agree with me, although they're very good for for upper body exercise when trying to start. I can easily have 15 minutes exercise that way.

So I looked out for a battery one, one with a bit of power. I found one in the local hardware store, as I'm not allowed in Bunnings, even for a Click and Collect, as it across the border in the ACT. It was above my budget, but I was prepared to stretch it for the right tool.

I had been shown one on special, marked down to $99 from $199 - but I would have needed to buy a charger ($200) and a battery ($200). Then the attendant pulled out one which had everything included -$399. A lot, but I was prepared to pay it.

I took it to the cash register, and it was ring up as $79! I asked them to make sure it was the right item, and it was - the docket was marked as a special, on 80% discount.

It works really well. I'm really happy with it. A good powerful battery with good life, and does a great job of weed whacking. Ego 56V range - which wasn't even listed on the store's website. Happy customer!

craigc and Gockie like this.
  3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

My phone was on Sydney time for some reason, showed up an hour early for afternoon tea

4. SatayKing

Oops. The Gmail account I used for this site has been hacked (password was changed late last night.) Not recoverable because of course I didn't provide any recovery phone number.

Apologies in advance to @Simon Hampel if he receives the odd email from Murray River.

5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Well daylight saving is a first world problem overall.

Suggest when pandemic is over we can live in bubbles based on time. So we have anti savers ( like anti vaxxers ) and we treat them badly and lampoon them for being early ( or late ). Then we have savers bubble for those who like saving daylight.

And we continue to have problems at the border as we couldn't possibly have one set of time rules for qld, and another for NSW. That would be stupid.

6. SatayKing

But curtains take longer to fade in QLD. Surely that should be a consideration.

craigc and datto like this.
  7. boganfromlogan

I think there should be concessions.....all good public policy has concessions for those aspects that don't quite fit in.

We could build a bureaucracy to process the exemptions/concessions.

I would be anti saver ( no curtains ) as a working example

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How do you qualify for a concession? Will it apply to elf-funded retirees or only with set assets tests?

Can I leverage the daylight which I save? Is there an optimal daylight to night valuation ratio? Will the BOM limit how much daylight I can borrow?

Will there be a daylight trading scheme?

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Where do I find one of these elfs who are going to fund my retirement? :D

10. boganfromlogan

Thanks for the questions.

1. Concessions and exemptions apply to those for whom a bubble causes hardship, including should they be returned to the other timezone they or there families may be harmed;
    2. Elf funded retirees should consult the elves;
    3. Assets under consideration for concession and exemption are only those assets for which the saving of daylight damages or otherwise upsets the asset ( cows, curtains );
    4. There is an equity test regarding leverage or otherwise harnessing daylight. Citizens are not able to hoard or otherwise hide the light ( behind bushels ), except for the purpose of powering cars, households and agriculture.
    5. The BOM will be issuing licences for the extra usage of daylight, particularly when this in related to jumping between time zones. Incidentally there is already a draft hail license and the daylight license will be based on this.
    6. There will be an ombudsman to handle complaints and to shine a light on any dark dealings.
    7. A trial trading scheme has been under way for more than 3 minutes, and this trading scheme has operated with match sticks to date. Finalising the arrangements of this trading scheme is expected within 3 millennium, at which time the match sticks will be replaced with blockchain enabled microchips fastened to the inner ear.

Simon Hampel and Scott No Mates like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

datto likes this.
  12. boganfromlogan

Yes. Slightly different timezones, same ticket!!

See it works!!

datto and Scott No Mates like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I ordered some simple items on eBay just now… check out the expected delivery date. I don’t think it was mentioned when ordering….
    A817CDCF-37F9-4D40-A00D-55111F9BDA2C.jpeg

14. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

They usually give a range of dates, which becomes a very big range when coming from elsewhere.
    Screenshot_2021-10-07-22-42-42-66_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg

15. Gockie

Yup. Just VERY surprised when I saw the estimated date says 29 Dec though

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I ordered some furniture back in June ... delivery was August, then September and now December

17. Scott No Mates

That's a lot of furniture :oops:

Gockie likes this.
  18. Gockie

Quicker to learn to make it yourself!

craigc and Scott No Mates like this.
  19. Gockie

Serious problem, I think I've got non stop spring hayfever.

My CBA colleague used to have it, he was a bit of a mess every spring and couldn't stop sneezing and having runny eyes. Always looked dreadful in spring because of it just like he shouldn't be working. Well, I think I have it now.
    :(

20. Scott No Mates

Maybe you're allergic to work :D

Gockie likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.