First timer - Renovation Help/Advice Needed. TIA.

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MaryOhMe, 24th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MaryOhMe

MaryOhMe New Member

Hi all,

Thank you for everyone PropertyChat providing value knowledge through all the forums, which allowed me to be confident enough to purchase my first property!

I've recently purchased a double brick property, that was build in the 1950s, with a tile roof. I am the process of planning to make it a little more modern.

I am looking to remove 2 internal single-brick walls to open up the rear living space with the kitchen and as well as open/cut up the back wall to allow for a sliding door to allow access into the backyard. I am concerned that they are load bearing walls (which I think they are), and wonder what costs as well as where a metal beam would be best located.

I am not sure if what I want to do is possible?

Once the walls are down, I can then put in an island in the kitchen (as per image)

Love to hear everyone's thoughts and love to get some direction on what I am in for.

Before and After drawing link -> Before and After

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You need engineering advice about what walls are load bearing - and how to deal with it if so.

(Also would be best to load the plans onto this site rather than use Imgur.)

MaryOhMe likes this.
  3. MaryOhMe

MaryOhMe New Member

Definitely, however I would love to learn as much as I can first.

They are single brick, I don't see vents on them, and it does seem smaller.

Before:
    Pre-Reno 1.png

After:
    Post-Reno 2.png

How the inside of the roof looks like:
    Roof 1.png Roof 2.png Roof 3.png Roof 4.png

4. Maree G

Maree G Member

Definitely get expert advice