First time home buyer via private sale negotiation query

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by pijankengur, 1st Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. pijankengur

pijankengur Member

Hi guys

I've found a house that I really want as a PPOR. It will be my first home, in the western suburbs of Melbourne

Yesterday I gave an unconditional offer in the upper third of the quoted price range. Today (yes Sunday) the agent called me back and asked if I will keep my price until late this week as there has been another offer made that is better than mine, but less of a deposit (5 v 10%) and subject to finance and building and pest inspection

Just wanted to check with you guys what my best play is here to get the lowest price. Is the agent trying to get me to up my offer? I note he didn't say what the higher offer was nor did I ask.

Can I expect that he will ultimately be more blunt and say the other party offered $x, can you match it beat that? Or is this possibly the last I will hear before being advised that I was unsuccessful?

Cheers

2. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

I am thinking he will come back to you asking for more.

Assuming you have put your offer in writing - ask to see any (higher) counter offer in writing too.

3. propernewb

propernewb Well-Known Member

I would think that real estate agents wouldn't be allowed to do that, what with privacy being such an issue these days?

4. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

They do. REA showed me the other offer they had I saw the contract for a property I was looking at making an offer on. REA only care about getting the most $$. I would ask to see the offer, and offer 1k higher, but go unconditional if you can. Western suburbs are on fire at the moment, nearly everything goes to auction, and whatever doesn't they usually only accept unconditional offers.