First Steps for Subdivision

Discussion in 'Development' started by skater, 12th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Double storey?

2. MG1

MG1 New Member

Thank you Sackie! Did you subdivide first and then build? How big was your lot? Did you build in the Blacktown council area??

Hope you have a great day

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Private town planners familiar with that local govt area (council) will be able to advise on what minimum requirements are and costs. Often they know of "close compliant" land and can push an arguement to council where land area may not be comply etc. Or simply say "it wont be approved". And even advise on design and best use of the land for a new build. I find they are also able to accurately guide clients in expected costs which helps the planning. Once you have that then seek tax advice . Subdivision itself doesnt create some tax issues (eg CGT) but can trigger others (loss of CGT, GST etc)

Best $$$ spent will be sound initial professional guidance. Its not that expensive initially

David_SYD and MG1 like this.
  4. MG1

MG1 New Member

Thanks Paul. It’s hard to find someone in the Blacktown area. No one wants to deal with Blacktown council. My friend is in construction and no longer builds in Blacktown because of council. This is why I’ve turned to this forum. I’m stuck.

Have a great day

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Triple:p

Archaon and MTR like this.
  6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Not in Sydney mate. In Brisbane. Lot was about 900sqm. Then subdivided .

Cheers

Piston_Broke and Archaon like this.
  7. beertank23

beertank23 Well-Known Member

You must have hit the silicon lottery for Duty Planners because all my dealings have been atrocious.

craigc and Archaon like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Most of the ones I've dealt with at many councils are totally useless. You get the odd one who is somewhat helpful and you feel like you've hit the jackpot.

Imagine approaching a Labor/Greens table at election time and asking them for advice on your next property development to increase your wealth. It's no wonder the duty desk folks are useless. Many look at us with seething contempt.

I've stopped wasting my time long ago in dealing with the clowns at councils and solely liaise with a gun town planner on all projects. A good TP will wipe the floor with councils who often are ignorant of their own planning codes. Perhaps it's planned ignorance.

Last edited: 18th May, 2021
  9. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Me too.