First Steps for Subdivision

Discussion in 'Development' started by skater, 12th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I own a block that has 2 x 3br homes on it. I did some research many years ago, but now can't find it. It is a large block in Blacktown Council. I've been told that it is suitable to subdivide, but that was some time ago now, but things change, so I'm hoping that is still the case. I'm now in a position to do the subdivision, but have no idea where to start. Could anyone give me a heads up on where to start.

2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Call the local Council and ask to talk to the duty planner. They'll have a look online at the block and let you know what's possible. Depending who you get they can be very helpful.

David_SYD likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I have done that before, but found that they mostly can't (or won't) answer questions. For instance I've got another that is not a battleaxe, but it has a handle like it is one, with another block on the corner. My property doesn't fall into the category that can be subdivided, but I have seen multiple other properties similar where they have been split. I'd love to do that to this property (as well as the one above), but can't seem to find the right people to talk to.

The above property is a little special as from what I recall it can be split, but only due to the date that the second dwelling was completed.

Archaon likes this.
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt Well-Known Member

Find a registered surveyor who does subdivisions in that local government area. He or she should be able to guide you.

lixas4, skater and ellejay like this.
  5. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

In that case definitely a local surveyor who does subdivisions.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Subdividing land can be very expensive v's the sales and costs to sudivide (permits, civils, services, common areas, fencing and council levies etc) and then the tax issues on top.
    You need to consider GST too as land is a taxable supply when you plan a subdivide and sell. All that rips into what seems like a winner.

An alternative is a DA to subdivide and retain the 2 homes on the land and sell to someone gullible who will think its the path to riches. You will sell as a CGT asset, and no GST and no risks and costs apart from plans and fees for permits etc.

ellejay and Gestalt like this.
  7. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Talk to a town planner first thing.

Sackie and wylie like this.
  8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Something to consider.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Looks like a surveyor is the go. Thankyou.

ellejay likes this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Lots of gullible people in Brissie 2020 thread. ;)

A lot of these people do not consider the impact of GST and other costs.

11. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

When you mention the alternative do you mean to get the DA approval but not then register the sub-division?

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Do you intend to subdivide into 2 and keep the houses or demolish and create even more lots? I would talk to both a surveyor and a town planner to work out all the options for the blocks. As mentioned above there are many legal and tax sides to subdividing and it might end up being simplest to create a lot each for each house and sell or even sell as a potential development site to someone else who can go through the heart aches and stress of chosing the highest and best use that is actually financable.

Sackie and Archaon like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Local town planner .

But be careful. Even if you can develop it, the numbers need to make sense for the specific stock your building. You'll need to compare to similar stock and sale values too.

Brady likes this.
  14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

The Plan is to split into two lots & sell.....but will explore just getting the DA as well.

15. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

2 lots?

So each a house on it?

16. skater

skater Well-Known Member

My first sentance......

17. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Blacktown council are a mess to deal with

dual occupancies are generally prohibited from subdivision unless detatched and on 450m2 or on a corner and with 300m2 each.

There was a provision a while ago for allowing dual occs built before 1999 but i believe that has been removed

Note had it been a multiple occupancy (which were easier to do on the previous LEP) strata subdivisions are easy to do

18. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

To be fair doesn't mean split would end up with 2 blocks house on each. Could be 1 block vacant land, 2nd block 2 x 3bedroom

Perthguy, skater and Archaon like this.
  19. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

If sub two existing buildings your land surveyor should be your first port of call.

If wanting to build anything new then the planner/architect should be who you ring first

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we bought a large block, our first port of call was a town planner. A good town planner will know what you can do and what you cannot do. I've just asked a town planner about a block we have. He said our block is smaller than the required size but they have got approvals through for similarly (too small) blocks in the area, so I'm prepared to take it further.

Edit: Perhaps a land surveyor would be able to do the same as a town planner?