VIC First Property Purchase in VIC.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jeff Hassan, 24th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VICPER

VICPER Well-Known Member

2. Jim G

Jim G Well-Known Member

Given that it is your first house and you want to live there I would strongly suggest that buy in established suburbs that has (1) Good green cover with lots of trees (2) Good primary and secondary schools that influences the demographics (3) where there is people from various origins to contribute to a multi-cultural hub and not just skewed with people from similar country origins (4) less crime rate
    I have lived through this and so have lots of people who I know. If you want to live and make the most of your time in that suburb with a quality life that includes fresh air from good green cover, less crime rate, good schools and a vibrant community go for a villa or townhouse in similar budget (within 650-700K) in South East or East of Melbourne CBD.

Elives likes this.
  3. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

4. Jeff Hassan

Jeff Hassan Active Member

5. Jeff Hassan

Hi guys,
    Looks like my thread is dead. I got gazumped big time by Sweeney Caroline Springs.
    for the above property. they made me sign the contract saying vendor agreed for 650. said waiting for vendor to get back, waiting for vendor to get back. 1 day later says they have an offer for 655. at this point I couldn't say if it was a bluff or true so I didn't bid up. today I find out property is under offer.

Never knew about this unethical business practice until this happened to me.

A negative google review is not going to help me in any way since Sweeney is the highest sellers in Caroline Springs; however I am considering creating an awareness thread for first time buyers.

Since there is high chance I have to deal with this company again is anyone able to advise me how I should proceed? @The Y-man would you be able to share some of you insight to reincarnate my thread again.

OnTheMarket, KVK and lifecompetitor like this.
  6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Pretty common - 90% of the time, it's a bluff - looks like this was one of those times it was real.

So in this case they were not lying! (unfortunately for you)....

The Y-man

7. lifecompetitor

lifecompetitor Well-Known Member

Blessing in disguise Jeff.

If it’s your PPOR fair enough. Your life.

Wouldn’t touch CS as an investment. Go established areas. Smaller land if you must.

8. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Lesson learned.

One tip can be to make your offer time-bound. Tell the agent you have another property you want to put an offer on tomorrow and make your offer expire in 24 hours.

Of course it won’t stop the agent shopping round to other potential buyers, but does limit the time the competition have to come back with a counter.

VICPER and OnTheMarket like this.
  9. Jeff Hassan

100%. I was acting in good faith since i recieved written confirmation that the vendor was going to accept the offer.
    So i didn’t want to pressure him and made the offer valid for 3 days(so ending cob monday 2-11-2020).
    Now i know better.

another thing that i dont understand is that the vendor never produced a counter offer to me.
    The agent kept saying 655 with terms and condition the same as me,over the phone leading me to believe it was a hoax.
    If it was a counter on the cos then atleast it would have been legitimate.

10. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

CS is established. It's been around for 10-15 years. But I wouldn't invest there either. If you can find something to add value to, then yeah maybe, otherwise no.

11. The Y-man

Do you mean a written one? I don't think I have ever received one in the 16 properties I have purchased.

As far as I recall, it's a phone call - you can either call the bluff or raise. If you raise, the BUYER needs to fill in the new offer (the vendor doesn't touch the offer prices etc)

The Y-man

12. Jeff Hassan

Thanks Y-man, I will keep this in mind next time. The agents can't make a property under offer unless the contract of sale exchange has happened can they? I am guessing they put it as under offer once the purchaser receives the signed copy and has transferred the deposit that was required upon signing?

thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

13. The Y-man

Correct.

The Y-man

14. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

For that 650k mark up to 700k I would try to squeeze a house out of Elthsm or Diamond Creek or a townhouse at Templestowe if that is possible.

korando1234 likes this.
  15. Jeff Hassan

I honestly can't find a decent property within my budget. I was looking for townhouses in maidstone but they are a rare find below 700k. sunshine properties are too old. what would you prefer in the west?

16. lifecompetitor

lifecompetitor Well-Known Member

Is rent vesting an option for you? If you like the feel of Caroline springs to live.

Look out west of the suburb and what do you see? Land. Lots of it.

Plenty of supply and plenty of choices for new homes at a future point. This will limit the capital growth potential long term.

Don’t get me wrong I loved seeing the lake, the fountain spray (is it still there?) etc etc. It certainly more family friendly than Brooklyn/Tottenham which is more industrial.

If you want to invest in the west as an investment I would go low rise unit or town house (may not be possible) in the better suburbs of the west. I would rent it out and use the rent to live where I want aka Caroline springs.

Yarraville, Seddon, Williamstown are solid for growth or spotswood is cheaper and I think has potential given the neighbouring suburbs.

I’ve seen family and friends buy many places in the west. Some closer in (suburbs above) and some further out (deer park, kings park, St. Albans.

At the time some bought the McMansions further out. Double story brick 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms etc. very house proud.

Some bought closer in older weather boards that needed work. Fast forward a few decades and what a difference in price.

It literally is a life changer getting the right growth asset.

So buy where historically strong capital growth has been. Look at the growth history of the properties you are looking at and chose one that has shown proven growth.

korando1234, KVK and Jeff Hassan like this.
  17. Broady

Broady New Member

Hi Lads,

i am a first home buyer and often reading the forum since June 2020 .

i had no luck last year and started serious house hunt late december and put an offer for a property in HillSide Vic .

The property is 660m2 and the 4 bedroom house is roughly 25+ years old.

i already sent an offer with 659k ( advertised range 640-680k and my conveyancer was saying it is a deceased estate / property).

surprisingly there were only 3-4 serious buyers and the agent is keen getting in my offer to the vendor.

What do you think ? initially i thought that the offer may be not considered by the vendor since the recent sales were in the order of 680+ .

now i am confused that i may be overpaying ? my offer was based on recent land sales and house sales to the vicinity of this property.

The property is located in Golden Way , HillSide which for me is a good pocket in the suburb.

Need your advice on this as i fear the agent will going to play the behind the screen auction with other buyers and i am not going to increase my offer.

Thanks
    Broady

18. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

A mate of mine lives off Hillcrest Dr in Hillside. He loves it, mostly peaceful apart from the area around the small shopping strip. He bought in the area in 2009, massive block for $460k or something like that. I think this house is a bit dated. Personally, $660k is overpaying for it, but the market's hot so yeah dunno. How badly do you like this one and how quickly do you want to get into it. Some agents will always play that game regardless.

19. The Y-man

This does not make sense to me.
    The only time in Vic where you make an offer is to the vendor.
    The agent is simply a transmission portal in that respect.

Perhaps you mean you made a verbal/informal offer to the agent?
    In Vic an "offer" is where you actually sign the contract and the agent presents that tot he vendor to accept (countersign) or counteroffer.

The Y-man

20. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

I think he means the agent’s not yet submitted the offer(s) to the seller?