First IP - Plan of attack

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Spoony, 3rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

I've got a contract on my first IP, a 1950 post war in 1700m from the CBD in East Ipswich QLD.

I had planned to rip out the kitchen and completely re-do it. However there seems to be more things required elsewhere that I didn't pickup and wonder if time (limited) and money could be better spent elsewhere.

The kitchen is full retro and very dated. I'll be tearing up the lino (and in ajoining laundry) and polishing the floorboards to match the rest of the house. Is this OK for a kitchen or would vinyl planks be better?
    Kitchen is 4m x 3.4m

Timber floors in laundry a bad move? (I've never lived in a timber floor house)

I pondered if painting all the doors and cabinets and overheads was an option. The raised sink and benchtops are also pretty yuk, but I considered perhaps one could put new tops over the old with a fascia to cover the edge of the old tops. This would give a more level appearance with the existing sink (drop in sink doesn't look like it would work with existing cabinet) but also give a new look. Perhaps timber tops would look in keeping with the retro cabinet/door design.

The overheads I think use to have the channel slide doors/glass. Given there's so much of these some perhaps could come out? I'm not sure if open overheads are a good thing, perhaps doors could be added?

Other issues internally include the bathroom. It's combined shower + toilet + corner vanity. It's somewhat rough with tiles (wall and floor) + shower frame all painted, with a mop I think. There are tradies/vendors friends trying to paint all of the inside of the house currently, and apparently will be sanding and redoing this, but I'm not sure how good it will be after. The configuration of the bathroom isn't ideal, so I pondered the options that would be cheap. A frosted divider between shower and the toilet may help. The vanity/sink also painted with a mop perhaps is best removed.
    Size is 2.6m x 1.9m

So I'm wondering if instead of spending up in time and money on the kitchen, if adding a second toilet taking up part of the laundry would be a better value add and tenant appeal initially. (1.9 x 1m of space for this as laundry is 1.9 x 2.4m) . The laundry does have a outside door also where the toilet would go, so closing that is probably required too + a wall with sliding door into the laundry would be needed.

I've no idea what the costs of the above toilet option would involve vs the kitchen, but given the laundry already has water in, and the house in on concrete stumps (be it fairly low), plumbing should be simple.

Keen to hear any ideas on how to attack the internals keeping in mind the area is currently low price and low rent, so don't want to over capitalise. I rather not have it vacant for months too. It's 30min from home so want to get my hands dirty, though do work full time.

Cheers
    Dan

bathroom.jpg Kitchena.JPG kitchenb.jpg kitchenc.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Your kitchen is too cute! The vinyl on the floor looks the same as what was in our first home, built in the 1950s.

Our new house (built in 1988) has full timber floors, but the laundry and other wet areas are sealed and tiled. Water is bad for timber. The kitchen floor is sealed floorboards, and the original coating has long been worn away. The big 1980s washing machine used to bounce all over the floor when it spun, so it was relocated under the house onto a concrete floor. Your older floor is probably hardened now and may not bounce.

If you keep the retro kitchen I would think other floor coverings would look strange. Maybe cash in and go full on-retro, but I'm no style queen. I have no idea if that look would sell in coal-mining Ipswich.

Over to my more learned colleagues.

Spoony likes this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

A bit of paint for the kitchen will go a long way

Spoony likes this.
  4. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

haha Angel. If the sale goes through you're welcome to the 67 year old vinyl. haha. it's got quite a thick underlay below it, I've be cautioned that may have asbestos in it.

The wet areas make sense. I think if polish and coat the timber i the kitchen is fine. Laundry, and perhaps extra toilet maybe tiles or vinyl would be the go. Though can't see how sealed timber is an issue. These areas shouldn't be wet often, only through unlucky spills etc?

Agree, timber floor is def needed in the kitchen. Is the retro look something people snub or if it looks neat and is functional warm too? Sealed timber beachtops I think could really set it off in this regard.

5. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

how much rent would you increase, and how much money you will put in the reno?

I had a look at the photos.... It seems all functional to me. especially the kitchen where you plan to spend big money.... though it looks outdated, it looks functional...

In one of my property I had a kitchen that is outdated than yours. I painted the cabinet doors inside out. When the property manager inspected the property, her comment was the house every was outdated except the kitchen :eek:

Micko likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Um, I don't think I want the vinyl, but please let me have first dibs on the laundry tubs if you decide not to keep them.

If I recall, we replaced the vinyl on our kitchen floor with a soft coloured vinyl in a tiled design. Our cupboard doors were dark brown, I could live with your green ones.

Can you pls include a floor plan so we can see the laundry layout with doors. Sliding doors usually require internal wall space which is often taken up with the wiring and plumbing.

Last edited: 5th Mar, 2017
  7. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

Rental differences won't be massive. Perhaps going from $275 to $300/week.
    I don't want out outlay more than $10k ish initially. I have to factor a number of external things (hopefully low cost) that need attention too.

Yes kitchen is still functional, hence the idea of 'freshening' it with paint, tops and over head doors would be quite cheap but transform it's appeal?

Haha, yeah that existing tub would be too big if that room gets split.
    You're more easily pleased than me, the kitchen colours make me want to spew haha.

I've attached a very dodgey floor plan I quickly put together with some free online software. The REA has no floor plan so I've gone off memory, photos and a couple of measurements.

With the laundry one would split it at the edge of the passage from the kitchen and a sliding door could go in that wall? There is an external laundry door which probably would need to go. Not sure if people would think it odd to still have a back door that just opens straight into the toilet? lol

Attached Files:

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Don't do anything except a bit of freshening up by painting.

Especially don't put in another toilet etc at this stage. Just freshen the paint in the kitchen and bathroom and laundry etc if needed.

Make sure extraction fans are working and that everything is mould-free and really clean and tidy.

If the kitchen bench is in good condition, then leave it.

Remember, it's not your home!

If you spend $10,000 and only get an extra $25 per week, that's going to take a while to recoup in rent...

After you've had it rented it out for a while, or if it is hard to rent at some stage, then reconsider, by all means.

Annaelsa, wylie and Angel like this.
  9. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying, it's hard to detach from the things you don't like/wouldn't want to live with. Also wanting to attract a quality tenant plays a consideration too.

So basically just spend a bit of time and limited funds bringing it up to a safe functional comfortable and livable state.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes. It looks fine in the photos.

Note: 'rental comfortable' not PPOR comfortable!

(I would consider getting new glass or other inserts for the overhead cupboards, though you would need to think about what handles could be used).

11. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

Yeah it's still 'functional'. There is some swelling in the sink cabinet. A few cracked tiles also.

Good spot, yes the overheads seem to be channeled and I assume originally had sliding glass/panels.

Via work I could laser cut frosted/dusted acrylic inserts to size and with finger holes as a cost effective option here. I figure frosted/dusted would look better than clear maybe. Or perhaps just a white to match the rest.

I think ditching lino is a must, its horrible and worn through in sections. I can see how polished floors + kitchen painted would improve the look massively, even if it still styles as 'retro'.

Not sure what polishing floors (and maybe sealing?) costs though. $20/sqm?

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Good idea with the acrylic especially if it is very cheap.

Definitely frosted or coloured white or some neutral colour.

If you use acrylic, choose a surface finish that will minimize the look of scratches (tenants won't know/remember not to use abrasive cleaners like Jif etc). Maybe test a bit first.

Originally, it probably had hardboard sliding doors...

13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I actually like the openness of the overhead cupboards.... It's easy and fuss free to use. My Birkdale IP had open overhead cupboards. Suppose it comes down to personal preference though. And I like the original kitchen in this thread and the vinyl flooring. It all works well together and harks back to a bygone era. Well maintained old kitchens like this are scarce these days....

Joynz and Spoony like this.
  14. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at how many positive comments this old kitchen is getting. If its in good condition (largely is) and function but refreshed, I'm starting to understand the appeal. A new flash modern kitchen looks great, but often isn't in keeping with the rest of a 1950's house.

It is however only post war (few external shots attached), so not Queenslander level classic. Same logic applies though?

Not really on this topic, but having never lived in these older style houses, how do people go without fly screens and the like. Ie the kitchen window and back door have screens but the rest of the house old school opening windows. The front door has none and the front room/bed has french doors to the front porch.

As it's outside of my living experience it seems odd/possibly annoying?

image2.jpg

Attached Files:

15. Gockie

I reckon the hedge is taking away from the homes street appeal! If it's a quiet street, I'd possibly get rid of the hedge and make the home visible to the street.

But if you aren't selling it, it probably doesn't matter.

Re flyscreens, you can usually add flyscreens to the inside of the window. You would have to get ones that slide to the side.

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Removing the hedge would expose the deck to view from people on the street and make it feel much less private.

Keep the hedge, I say!

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

its a nice- looking house.

18. Gockie

+1. Nice looking house. It's a classic :). Love that roof too. Looks new.

19. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

I see what your saying, the shape and layout of the house, with the balcony would lend it self to nice street appeal. The street is quiet and only services the a few local houses.

Ahhh ok so screen that mount inside the window frame but slide over each other to open the timber frames? Seems very rare to have these though, maybe people just don't care?

This was my original thinking. the whole privacy aspect that the hedge gave to the house and balcony was worth more appeal than from the street. At least from a living in perspective vs a drive past/sale one?

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Especially if a bedroom or living room opens onto the balcony, the hedge is better. And it looks so lush and green!