First home buyer - off the plan Melbourne

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Calvin123, 14th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Calvin123

Calvin123 New Member

Hey everyone, trying to seek advice on buying my first property in Melbourne. Apologies in advance if this has been brought up before.

Bit of info:
    - Recent graduate with a budget of up to ~600k for a new home.
    - Looking for at least a unit with 2 bedrooms so I can live in one and rent out the other.
    Ideally the property could also act as a good investment if I decide to move out in 5+ years.
    - Wanting to purchase in inner suburbs of Melbourne (preferably inner north - Brunswick, Preston), but it seems I would only be able to afford apartments, so am thinking an off the plan apartment. It would also allow me to save up during this time.

I'd like to know if this is a poor decision and what everyone's opinions are on off the plan apartments. I'm getting a bit of FOMO and feel like the later I enter the market, the harder it'll be.

Appreciate any advice I could get.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Ugh.

What do you see as good about this plan, and what are the potential problems?

Last edited: 14th Feb, 2019
  3. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I think if you want to live in that area you are much better to rent . Why buy for 600k then have to pay water rates, council rates, BC fees, maintenance, insurance, sinking fund depreciation, falling value due to BS removal of Neg gearing and CG tax discount etc etc when you can rent for $300 or $150 if you share. You would be better to buy somewhere else for $300k and get $ 400 a week rent to cover your rent.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I suspect most on this site will say YES poor decision, and in the current environment ALMOST CERTAIN you're going to lose money. Better to save up to completion and make an offer then. Chances are you will pick it up cheaper.

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

You would have to save up at least 30~40% of the purchase price to be sure.
    Probably easier to buy a pre-loved apartment sooner?

The reason I say this is because *many* people right now are unable to settle their properties because they can't get a loan. A bank can't tell you if you can get a loan until it is finished (catch 22). Then if the valuation comes lower, you have to make up the difference in cash. If you can't settle, you get sued.

The Y-man

GX1, TMNT and willair like this.
  6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum @Calvin123

purchasing and OTP, you might be able to achieve 1st and 3rd points, but very likely not the 2nd point: Ideally the property could also act as a good investment if I decide to move out in 5+ years.

if the potential capital gain is minimum ( there might be exceptions), you are going to severely delay your property investing journey.

7. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yeah, hold-off for now, Calvin. Keep saving as much as you can and become an expert on property values in the inner north. Go to open house and auctions and see what's happening on the ground. FOMO is not so much a thing right now.
    Scott

Bob Thomas and willair like this.
  8. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Every problem I've had with valuations being less than the purchase price in the last 2 years has been in off the plan apartments. They are a very high risk. I agree with everyone else, keep saving and use that time to educate yourself further about property and investment.

9. Calvin123

Calvin123 New Member

Thanks for the advice so far!
    I think I'll avoid OTP apartments altogether.

I didn't think about this tactic, but I agree it's quite clever. Only thing is I want to take advantage of the First Home Owner's grant, which I reckon can't be used if I'm not living in the purchased property...

Would it still be advisable to buy a new apartment that has been fully completed?

Do you have any recommendations to maximize my property investment potential. If it's not OTP and just a newly completed apartment, would it still be a weak decision in an investment perspective - keeping in mind that I'd move out in 5 years time.

Cheers again for the help guys.

TMNT likes this.
  10. Trainee

The point being, this point of the cycle, theres a good chance melbourne may just be overall flat for 5 years. If you buy new completed, youll be held down by all the otp in the pipeline. Live in and you dont even get depreciation.

11. The Y-man

There will be issues (new ones always do - weather it's leaks, plumbing or something else) - but depends if you have you heart set on living in a brand new flashy place. At least then you can get a bank val, see the finished product, etc etc.

MInd you the Opal Apartments were brand new too not long ago..... :eek:

The Y-man

12. Calvin123

Calvin123 New Member

Okay that makes a lot of sense. In other words, it's not the best time to purchase in this cycle.

I think I should re-evaluate. I kind of like the idea of renting and investing in somewhere else now, kind of a new concept to me - but still would like to take advantage of the grant though haha.

13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

A focus on a cash handout may blind one a little to whats best middle term.

We see this a lot even with bank refinance rebates as small as 1000, clients will gravitate to that vs the long term impacts of the right structure and loan which will save 10 to 100 times that over loan life

ta
    rolf

14. Trainee

Slow down. You dont know enough to evaluate. Its like asking do you prefer apples without knowing all the other food groups out there.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF