First home buyer considering OTP purchase in Melbourne

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Sail, 6th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

You can try an alternative to a limited extent, but as Y-man indicated many lenders go through the same portal to obtain valuations. Duplicate valuations do get flagged. In my experience, it's about 30% that a second valuation would would be similar to the first anyway. When two different valuers agree with each other, it's unlikely that a third will think too differently.

I've also used things like family pledges or cash gifts to get around this sort of problem. This isn't available to everyone though.

Sail likes this.
  2. Sail

Sail Active Member

I feel like it's not worth the risk.
    Fair point. But I have some basic requirements that I cannot sacrifice. Like I said, I'm planning to live in the property for the next 5-6 years so have to find the right balance.

3. Sail

Sail Active Member

Seems only reasonable to stay away from OTP. Wondering if I should take the plunge and come back here one year later with my experience :D
    It's surprising though that I have heard very few positive experiences. It could be because people only post on forums when they have negative experiences ?

4. Peter_Tersteeg

I wouldn't say it's not worth buying OTP. I'm currently waiting for settlement on an OTP commercial property. The difference is that I'm able to throw a lot of cash at the purchase.

The key is risk mitigation. There's a few things you can do to protect yourself:

1. Having extra cash available can solve a lot of problems. Probably not very helpful info in this case as your major reasoning is to have lower upfront costs.

2. Pay fair market value. What are other properties on the open market currently selling for. Specifically similar properties that have actually sold, that are not OTP. People often pay a premium for brand new properties, and that's what gets them into trouble.

5. Sail

Sail Active Member

Thanks. 5% devaluation is all the extra cash I can afford.

So during valuation, do they consider that a brand new property is slightly more in worth? Or that's not even a consideration? I can tell you right away that older 2 bed apartments are selling at slightly lesser value (~30k) than what this new apartment is priced at.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Undoubtedly there have been some very positive experiences (esp for PPOR).

I've tried one OTP (disaster), and one brand new (was ok)

All I would be worried about is if things go wrong, what is your plan B. It could financially ruin you. You need to go in aware that IF the val comes in lower than your planned 5% off, then it is not a matter of just losing the deposit - you will be sued and liable for re-marketing costs etc ~ and could mean you have assets seized, go bankrupt etc.

The Y-man

7. Sail

Sail Active Member

Thanks. Last questions -
    Can you take a personal loan and compensate the shortfall during settlement? My borrowing capacity is not an issue.
    Also is there anything I can do in my contract to be safe? I've read that generally you can't add many clauses in your OTP contract to save your ass

8. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Don't come back in a year. Stay! I was in a similar boat as you when I bought my first place. Hanging out on these forums easily saved me over 100k....

Forget this particular OTP...read this forum for the next few months, then make a move. You'll be very glad you did.

Propertunity, thatbum and Sail like this.
  9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Of borrowing cap isn't an issue, then cheaper to do a higher LVR loan if there is shortfall? But yes any money to settle is fine.

You can't modify an OTP contract - but DO negotiate (HARD) the price and inclusions. Someone we know got a 3/4 bath over shower negotiated in instead of normal shower (they had a baby so tub was useful)

The Y-man

10. Peter_Tersteeg

If your serviceability allows the personal loan, you probably can use this to make up the difference. Personal loans have a significant impact on serviceability, so don't just assume that your own numbers will be okay.

You should get a conveyancer or solicitor to read through the contract before signing it, but OTP contracts aren't very flexible.

Sail likes this.
  11. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

They are flexible for the builder, allowing variation in proposed size of unit etc, I think i read on here that a builder was able to get another unit in on the floor buy reducing everyone's apartment size, etc