FIRE Starters (Financial Independence, Retire Early)

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by Redwing, 21st Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

I've been looking at these fire blogs and sites, and it's very amusing.

"I collected cans and made $25" lmao Sounds like a great retirement to me...

Most of them seem very naive about money matters even though it's good that they're actually doing something.
    And RE.... they are mostly clueless. So many had liquid assets and could've made mutliples in their local RE markets last 10 yrs.

They just seem too busy with penny pinching wars to see real opportunities.

bythebay, Harris and 2FAST4U like this.
  2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

These two live a pretty frugal lifestyle and collect bottles & cans whilst on walks

Cheapskate Confessions: A rubbish recycling side hustle

Quarter 4 2020 – Net worth update $2,725,000: Up $291,000 for 2020

How's this gent

Larry saves $80,000 in two years for retirement with recycling scheme, but it's illegal

upload_2021-2-8_11-20-12.png

3. Piston_Broke

If you like collecting cans great.
    Otherwise only an idiot would do such a thing.
    At 35 I had multiple RIPs, a business where I turned to work whenever i wanted and decided what to and when to do it.
    And they have to get up everymorning to go to work. Both of them.

Again if you like collecting cans, fantabulous.
    Anyone wanting to collect cans to make money and retire early, I'd say is an idiot.
    I think they call it "penny wise, pound foolish".

I bought it in my mid 30s. I live in my >1m home.
    In 2020 I sold more than their total net worth. Still have ppor and more. And the CIP I keep forgetting about.

Not that great.
    I do applaude and respect their effort. Good on them for getting their stuff together and planning for FI.
    But.
    You can be a Zombie investor and just buy and pray (hold) and wait 30yrs or look at timing the market, adding value, buying value by doing research and the time frame becomes 10-15yr.

What makes me smile as I type this is that I am the slow one in my cirlces. I'm the lazy one who is not interested in big incomes or expenses. I just plod along, easy go luck along compared to them. Which is actually true.

bythebay, Lauren350 and Redwing like this.
  4. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

What makes me smile is people bragging about how good they are and how much better they have done in life and how much richer they are when what they say doesn't matter diddly squat.

Each person has their own dream to aspire to and their own path to make that dream happen.

Your dreams and paths and goals and overall awesomeness has absolutely no correlation to other peoples dreams, desires or motivations, no matter how much money you eat and gold you crap. :)

Tyla, Nanjie, Kat and 6 others like this.
  5. Piston_Broke

I don't have a blog posting my "net worth" every month like these Fire people.
    I'm just repeating from my post on my strategy and other posts.
    And like the last line, I don't have much to brag about when I look at what I would call my peers. I'm pretty sure I'm last amongst them, and even below the 30yos.

Networth is a number. Assets prices are numbers. They can be useful numbers, but that's all they are.
    Lifestyle has no number. As being a miserable miser worrying about a few dollars that cost many hours.

bythebay, MTR and Harris like this.
  6. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

We save our bottles and cans. Because we are greenies. When they were threatening to take over the garage we filled the boot and took them to the Containers For Change place up the road. $13.80.

number 5 likes this.
  7. Redwing

Propin and Terry_w like this.
  8. Redwing

Kat and Terry_w like this.
  9. Redwing

10. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

11. Piston_Broke

"lean fire" is almost allways a recipy for disaster.
    Add a wife that wants to keep up with the jones (and the majority do) and it's a time bomb waiting to explode.
    In the US you need at least 75k pa to have a decent lifestyle and not live like a pauper.
    Here it's about 100k.

bythebay, MTR, Mws and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! Used to follow his blog years ago - didn't expect he'd be back!

I'm an IT geek aswell and coming onto my 4 year anniversary of quitting. Like the blogger, I haven't missed the office for a second, but there's still alot there for me to pause and reflect on.

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2021
  13. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

@dunno’s last post and this blog post have influenced my view about the direction I would like to take. A lot for me to ponder too

MWI and pippen like this.
  14. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Brilliant and extremely down to earth read! Some great honesty and sincerity from the author too.Thanks for sharing

15. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

What rubbish.

This is the sort of diatribe sprouted by wine sipping socialites from their ivory towers.

Get out of the tower and see how the blue collar people are living. Many are living quite easily for less than half of that!

Jack Chen and paulF like this.
  16. oasis1frog

oasis1frog Well-Known Member

Read somewhere a couple been living happily on $25k p.a. for years, not sure how they do it. For us its about $50k - 60k p.a., pay all the bills & unexpected expenses. Probably 1/3 less if we don't have all the insurance policies (especially private health).

Last edited: 25th Mar, 2021
  17. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

It adds up. Rates, utilities, rego, car insurance, home and contents insurance, home and car maintenance, electricity, gas, fuel, food, dentistry, other medical, clothes, entertainment. And this is if you’re debt free so no mortgage.

Stoffo likes this.
  18. Piston_Broke

Not everyone want to live like they're in a third world country.
    Maybe you should get and see the first world.
    I grew up on a farm shoveling pigpoo and made my own wine, but that does'nt stop from having a decent place to live, a car, buy good fresh food to cook.

It's called Financial Freedom. I don't care about going down the bar, restaurant, club, beach or wherever and blow a few hundred bucks while you're sowing old socks for the tenth time.
    But hey, that's your choice to be financial dependent on every penny you have like it's your last.

MTR, Harris and Firefly99 like this.
  19. Redwing

If You Play With FIRE, Don’t Get Burned

by Nick Maggiulli

Financial independence. Retire early. FIRE. It’s the dream, right? No one to report to. Nowhere you have to be. You live life completely on your own terms. But as much as this movement has been revered by some in the personal finance community, it also has its downsides which are discussed far less often.

The introspection is beautiful and horrific all at the same time. Like watching a car crash in slow motion.

I share these experiences not to rain on the FIRE parade, but to shine some light on the possible downsides. For the record, what John and LivingAFI have experienced are not the norm within the FIRE community. Most people who retire early live enjoyable lives. As LivingAFI stated in his post:

But, as both LivingAFI and John note, FIRE isn’t for everyone.

Nanjie, Toon, Citycat88 and 4 others like this.
  20. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

https://www.iretiredyoung.net/
    David seems happy with his ER.

I am working on what to ‘retire to’ at the moment and it seems to take time. Taking an extended break would be a good option to try.

Great article. Thanks @Redwing

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2021
    pippen likes this.