Fire doors and fire stairs

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Burramys, 15th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

From the BCA - have a look at E1.6(b) but for light reading do the whole BCA thing including D2.3:

upload_2016-4-17_11-36-0.png
    upload_2016-4-17_11-37-26.png

PS: I know Jack and your OC may know him too.

2. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

Scott, I'm an owner and am attempting to address the issues of what appears to be bad advice. The fire brigade simply advised about the desirability of having extinguishers as described - bad idea. The fire brigade made no comment about moving common property, and I made no coment about this. Your advice about stairs and carpet is valuable - thanks. I was unaware of this aspect. It's not clear if a fire isolated staircase is the same as a fire stair, but it's a good starting point.

I am quite unable to see how a measure that encourages conduct contrary to fire brigade advice is safer. I'm going to request the advice that led to the extinguisher installation.

E1.6 says that a portable fire extinguisher serves only the storey at which they are located must be less than 10 metres from the entrance doorway. The extinguishers as installed do not comply. The extinguishers are for levels one and two, where the flats are located, not the ground floor. The extinguishers may be within 10 metres for the first level, but most certainly are well over this for the level above.

Wylie, my first step is to determine some facts, nearly done. I've proven that part of the advice was bad, and may now have the rest, Monday's job. Based on advice, the OC manager placed an order for the extinguishers and signs. If the advice is indeed bad then there's an entitlement at law for recovery of costs. I'm hoping to persuade the OC manager on this point.

Last edited: 17th Apr, 2016
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Recovery of costs from whom? From the OC manager or the company he/she paid to give the advice?

4. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

I have no idea how this will play out or who will recover costs. It may be that the invoice has not been paid. At present I'm gathering facts, with a number of options. I'll contact the OC manager tomorrow. The bottom line is that the OC will not pay for any of this.