Fire damaged roof - try to save some tiles?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Green, 26th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Ill be replacing all trusses on my fire damaged home, 80% of the tiles are still sitting on the roof. Is it worth trying to carefully take these down and save them? Exiting roof is 40 years old. Or will the tiles be compromised from heat / an old profile where you can't even find ones to match anymore?

Some wisdom would be much appreciated,
    Green

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Plenty of second hand roof tiles around. Just make sure you know the maker and the pattern. Concrete or terracotta?

Save them no matter. If you can't get more then you will be able to sell the ones you salvaged.

Green likes this.
  3. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Oh fantastic. Didn't realise there was such a market for 2nd hand roof tiles! They are concrete tiles, I will carefully take em down and stack em up then. Unsure if there is any asbestos concern with roof tiles...

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is insurance doing the work (let them sort it out) or did you take a payout?

40 year old tiles, hmmm by the time you salvage, sort, clean, stack etc it will probably be cheaper to sell to a demo yard and buy new ones.

wylie likes this.
  5. Green

Green Well-Known Member

I bought the place burnt out... o_O Will be adding a lot of sweat equity no doubt. Looking for the most cost effective way to get a new lid on this place

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I second this, unless your house is character and original (ie. bit of moss) tiles would look better.

Our son and his partner increased the roof area on their bungalow. They re-used the old tiles on the front that can be seen from the street (transverse gable - so no tiles visible from the side), and put new ones on the back that isn't seen.

New tiles on a classic house would have looked too "new", so much depends on the style of house, scarcity of the tiles.

Another friend in our street paid good money to match the moss covered tiles when he extended. There is a market for old tiles for matching the roof on a renovation project, but not just any old tiles.

Green likes this.
  7. Green

Green Well-Known Member

Very interesting. The house has no character value so really whatever the most cost effective solution will be is my primary concern. I suppose I'm better removing them carefully rather than tossing from roof to skip and perhaps someone will pay me money to take em away by the sound of things