NSW Fire alarm compliance $99/year

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Zenith Chaos, 13th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Here is a question.

How many have died due too poor LL attention or outdated alarms where no one fiddled with them over last 10 years.

How many died due to lack of experience on the roads.

So lets focus on smoke alarms and make LLs so scared they need to hire "technical people"....

What a load of horse manure and a breakdown of society we are watching.

Drive the kids to school do we all ? What a lot of no hopers we are breeding, and it is no fault of thiers....

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Once you’ve been sued you become more careful about many things you once thought were safe, easy or foolproof... ;)

TMNT, Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. dabbler

Ok.

I been in court heaps of times.

How many times have you or anyone you know been dragged to court due to not being able to follow the rules ?

I think I know the answer, but come on then, tell us, smoke alarm specific please... ?

4. dabbler

Too much BS on these forums, so, please, anyone speak up with specifics.....you were crucified as a ll cause ? Fill in your horror smoke akarm story.

Maybe we will hear something ? From someone ?

5. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Relax, it's a forum, it's the internet. Go test your fire alarms and make yourself useful.

wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How many of the recent spate of fires and deaths in homes have been attributed to faulty smoke alarms.

How many of these are in rental properties?

How many of the families of those who lost their lives know their rights sufficiently to bring an action against the lessor years after the fact and after the findings of any inquest or coroner's report?

When you can find those, then someone will find some case law.

wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  7. dabbler

I have done all mine today, I do it daily at home and log it so no family members, visitors, or even I cannot sue myself :)

How many have the PPOR compliance checked....there is responsibilities there too.......

Were becoming so brainwashed and pent up with fear, we may as well all become preppers and stay in the bunker....it is crippling and time consuming and costly.

Anyways, I will leave at yes, many places never had these snake oil sales teams interested anyways...so you had to do it, or get someone to do it....no phony compliance cert reqd.

8. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Says the guy who tests his fire alarm "daily".

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Does that include checking out the expiry date as well?

Michael Mitchell, wylie and Dan Wood like this.
  10. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

What is annoying is being sold this mandatory fire service based on fear when the agent gets a kickback / commission (often undisclosed on those letters written by the smoking company telling you to respond). It isn't all altruistic.

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2019
    TMNT likes this.
  11. dabbler

Yes, is a full audit that must be signed off on before the print button becomes available, so I can then place hard copy in a fire proof safe.

12. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

You might be confusing property managers with strata managers, no kickbacks or undisclosed commissions from $79 smoke alarm compliance packages, lol.

wylie likes this.
  13. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Perhaps not for $79 packages. Things are cheap in Brissy?

Here is a holiday program for PMs and a bonus quarterly promotion $50 visa cash card per new subscription.

Agent Rewards - Smoke Alarm Solutions

14. Michael Mitchell

Yeah it's only $79 (or $129 for inter-connected alarms) per year are the two options that cover all the types of properties I manage. I don't personally know anyone who bothers with that "rewards" stuff. Who is going to ask all their Clients to sign a new one of these every month when the 'deals' change etc? lol:

upload_2019-8-5_22-25-22.png

If you want to know about making money from commissions and referral fees for the engagement of "professional services" for your Clients, look no further than the strata industry, as an example, see here:

Insurance commissions (remember this could be on Body Corp policies that cost $20-30-40-50,000!
    upload_2019-8-5_22-33-2.png

Other "professional services", in one AGM for example, if the Body Corp accepted all the "recommendations", the strata manager clips the ticket and collects around $1500 for sending a few work orders:

upload_2019-8-5_22-35-55.png

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2019
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i receive smoke alarm service letters from my PMs all the time, and judging by the way they insist on it, I can guarantee they are getting some form of benefit

I get follow up letters, follow up emails, calls, you name it

16. Michael Mitchell

Would you rather a persistent PM reminding you of your obligations or a PM who returns your keys and says they won't manage your property until it's smoke alarm-compliant because in the event of something bad happening they don't want A Current Affair at their shop front and them trying to explain it's the Owners responsibility/liability and they're "just the Agent"? No Agent wants to hand back the keys over something so small and trivial but if something ever goes wrong, the consequences can be devastating.

wylie likes this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Ive addressed my obligations, I get my handyman to check my smoke alarms annualy, ive told all my agents that, and they know that, but they still and convert me over

a few have even signed me without my consent

yet, not one of them has threatened to terminate management if I dont sign,
    so yep, definitely some kickback/benefit going on

18. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Those are some nasty provisions that the strata/executive committee probably should be sued over. At least they probably have office bearers coverage ;)

That being said, from the stratas that I have been involved with the insurance commission kind of made sense when you look at the total aggregate fees but these were small schemes.

19. Michael Mitchell

In Qld, compliance check needs to be done & copy given to the tenant at the start of every tenancy (could be multiple tenancies per year), and also annually if the tenancy goes for more than 12 months. Unless the Lessor is going to take time out of their day to go and do it themselves and take on that liability themselves and issue proof of compliance to their tenant, there is no one cheaper than these smoke alarm businesses for getting this work done. Most tradespeople (handyman, electrician, etc.) charge $100 just for showing up let alone doing anything. If you've got more than 1 tenancy a year, or mid-tenancy and the battery needs changing or the alarm fails and the Tenant doesn't take care of it (remember the Lessor is still ultimately responsible having to comply with the law even though the lease might place obligations on the Tenant) you are not coming out ahead $ wise. You'll probably find a real driver is the admin work these businesses do saving the Agent from having to do it.

Dan Wood and wylie like this.
  20. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

My agent automatically enrolled me then asked me to opt out but "required me" to provide a dB measurement for the smoke detector. This isn't in the legislation. It needs to be functioning.

Not in my agreements in at least one jurisdiction - not saying it is not the case in NSW or QLD though.

My agent did not disclose the relationship between propertysafe reports and their benefit in kind for the maintenance manager software.

Where there is smoke there is fire!