Financial advisors RANT!

Discussion in 'Financial Planning' started by SLP07, 23rd Mar, 2024.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SLP07

SLP07 Well-Known Member

I am seriously annoyed my wife and I have been trying to sort out our personal insurances for quite sometime now, we have used 2 seperate highly recommended financial advisors one of them being 100% independent and to be honest they have both been ****!

We need our personal insurances life/tpd/trauma/IP set up in the most tax effective manner. We are lead to believe that you need to go though an advisor to be able to access the best own occupation policies and premiums, we are not interested in paying commissions either we want to pay a fee for service to set everything up and lastly we wanted a professional 2nd opinion about our current asset allocation for our super accounts.

We have now used 2 seperate FA with the exact same outcome, we made it clear as day what we wanted in the initial consult, they took us on as a client we paid up front because that is apparently what is required and we were told it will take 6 weeks to sort out, many months later and continual delays we finally get to the point where the SOA is almost ready to be delivered and the advisor is trying to put us in all sorts of wrap platforms, change our super accounts to them ect ect red flags everywhere when we made it clear we are not going to do that we just need what we asked for they both went cold and uncontactable even tho we have already paid them!

It’s clear to me if they cannot get an ongoing trailing commissions or a percentage of your net worth you are not worth their time when obviously other clients are happy to do so.

As it stands I have wasted my time, my money and god forbid something bad happens we are still currently not adequately insured. Any suggestions on what we can do moving forward?

MangoMadness and Nodrog like this.
  2. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Tell them you will file a complaint with an ombudsmen

You could have just read money magazine in terms of tip products.

Most FAs are pretty useless. A lot of the have zero net wealth.

Burramys and SLP07 like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Independents are not supposed to be getting commissions on insurance or if they do rebate it and commissions on other things were banned about 25 years ago

4. SLP07

SLP07 Well-Known Member

yes correct but that doesn’t stop independents pushing you into other products which will one way or the other benefits them selves, at the end of the day they are running a business to make money which only makes sense.

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. Terry_w

I don't understand these wrap platform things really. How would it benefit themselves?

6. qak

qak Well-Known Member

They set up their systems around them, using model portfolios; as the clients have very similar portfolios if a change is needed it's just a matter of making any change once and copying it across all their clients.

It is much easier administratively, once the client is in the platform there's no need for new application forms or ID requirements - time is money.

[edit - and the client pays for the platform, so the admin cost is borne by the client and not the FA].

Sgav, MangoMadness and mrdobalina like this.
  7. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Could you not go to an insurance broker for this advice? (It's been a while since I've used one, so the environment could be vastly different).

qak and Marg4000 like this.
  8. Terry_w

Ah that makes sense!

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Most now charge a certain % of the portfolio.....some as high as 0.5-1%...imagine you have $10m portfolio......that is 50-100k per year....:eek:

Forget...most I met are absolutely useless...same with brokers....

SLP07 likes this.
  10. Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday Well-Known Member

I had a retail fund paying fees for advisor and never got any advice, Went to a Netwealth wrap account as I was told I could invest in U.S shares. It had to be done through a FA after setting up they said it was too hard to invest in U.S and expensive.. All they advised and done was to put it in STW ! and charged fees for every thing, Contribution fees like 2.5% and up to 5%, I think it depended on amount, management fees of about 1%, and a high exit fee when I bailed out with fees taking all gains. Complained to ASIC but they are useless and another waste of funds. At least I found out how to make money which was to be invested in the company and be an owner rather than invest in the product and be a client, bought shares when the company listed for $5.00. 4x that in 7 years and have growng dividend of 5% YOC.

Stoffo likes this.
  11. SLP07

SLP07 Well-Known Member

I am under the impression you need an independent financial advisor who is happy with fee for service arrangement and not commissions, but I could be wrong does anyone have any recommendations? thanks!

12. Terry_w

I don’t think they could be independent if receiving a commission. The word independent is regulated by the corporations act

13. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Doesnt work..........Who pays for the cost of the advice and implementation ?

Rebate against what other income ?

Australia is generally underinsured

Why is that an issue ?

Good piece here - grain of salt because commissioned by the industry, but makes some common sense and valid points

https://fsc.org.au/resources/2537-fsc-australias-life-underinsurance-gap-research-report-2022/file

ta
    rolf

14. Terry_w

There are planners out there that do get a commission but give it 100% back to the client and charge a flat fee.

15. Rolf Latham

% fee is fine on lower volumes invested to get access to performance like the below. Most planners will cap fees at X, for larger volumes invested, certainly our wee sister planning business does.

The issue for smaller volume investors, is they dont have retail access to stuff like this in sub 100 k tranches, and running an active debt recycle strategy with $ 1000 per month DCA into a managed investment like that doesnt make financials sense.

ta
    rolf

upload_2024-3-23_19-0-17.png

16. Rolf Latham

Indeed, there are brokers that do this as well.

Given the reluctance of Australians generally, to pay a fee for service in pretty much anything, where there is an upfront free option, removal of comms for Personal Risk Insurance, is only going to place the very under-insured Australian Public in a much worse state. We, as a society carry that issue.............

Posted above, and relinked here for convenience

https://fsc.org.au/resources/2537-fsc-australias-life-underinsurance-gap-research-report-2022/file

All good and well to consider a Eutopian Outcome, but real life dunna work that way.

Just yesterday I had a chat with a client that was referred to me.....Single mum on a disability pension with a 6 year old.......and weeny ( in our perspective) 210 k loan. Hubby passed recently and not a basic life policy in sight. I see that as a travesty to our society, sure sometimes spiritual beliefs get in the modern way of life, but for a few $ a week from this Man's super could have gone to a basic death only policy......but no, no one was emotionally invested enough to "sell it"......very sad.

ta
    rolf

17. MangoMadness

MangoMadness Well-Known Member

So they actively cancelled the auto life insurance in super? It is auto by default isnt it or has that changed?

18. Rolf Latham

did not have ANY insurance :(

ta
    rolf

19. Terry_w

are you licensed to give financial advice Rolf?

20. Rolf Latham

nope, back 25 years ago yes, today the compliance challenges for common sense are way too deep.

ta
    rolf

paulF, Sgav and Terry_w like this.