FHOG/Stamp Duty Reduction Question

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by PorkBellyLover, 6th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. PorkBellyLover

PorkBellyLover Active Member

Hi All,

I have a few questions around First Home Owner Grant and Stamp Duty Reduction.

I bought my PPOR last December, so it hasn't been a full year yet, but due to work relocation reason, need to move to a different area, so I'm planning to turn my PPOR into an IP as I will return in the future.

Could anyone reference me a reading on what are the conditions for FHOG/Stamp Duty Reduction as I heard from a friend that we have to live in for at least a year before allowed to turn it into an IP to avoid penalties/taxes? Is this the case? I tried to research online and through this forum, but couldn't find anything.

Thank you in advance!

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The rules can vary from one state to another. Look at the Office of State Revenue relevant to your state for more information:
    www.osr.nsw.gov.au
    www.osr.qld.gov.au
    www.sro.vic.gov.au
    www.finance.wa.gov.au
    www.sro.tas.gov.au

Generally you're expected to live in the property for 12 months. Anecdotally I have heard of instances where people had to move out early. They contacted the relevant OSR and had to repay the money. When they later bought a new home, they were able to claim the benefits again.

PorkBellyLover likes this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Is it generally 12 months? Its 6 months in WA, and I thought in some other states too.

4. PorkBellyLover

Thanks @Peter_Tersteeg

I was looking in ATO's website and now am wondering why Google didn't show SRO list when I searched.

5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Keep it as your main residence for a year if that is what is required and your so close already.....or get on the phone so you can get advice direct.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Is that for the FHOG or the stamp duty concession? Needless to say it is confusing and there's states where the FHOG is 6 months and the stamp duty concessions are 12 months, which is why it's best to track down the info directly.

WA FHOG is 6 months continuous residence. You need to move in within 12 months acquiring the property. It's been so long since I did anything first home related in WA I can't even remember if there's a stamp duty concession.

@PorkBellyLover one interesting think I noticed on the WA site is the ability to apply to vary the residence requirements. It would appear they're understanding if you've got a good reason to move (at least in WA).

7. PorkBellyLover

I'm based in Melb and I have to move within a couple weeks, but I still have a quarter to go. Thanks guys, I'll consider my options.

Not trying to be shifty as I have to change my postal address after moving out, but how do they track my residency? Is it through tax alone?

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Audit - you will need to prove where you lived.

PorkBellyLover likes this.