FHOG Eligibility - PPOR In New State

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Hustler, 2nd Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hustler

Hustler Active Member

Hi everyone, sorry if posted in wrong section!

Just wondering if any could help -- I've purchased properties interstate before, but never in Victoria. I am looking to buy a property in Victoria as PPOR -- would I be eligible for the FHOG?

I did receive a grant for first property in different state, which has been an investment for most of its life.

2. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you won’t be eligible.

Applying for the First Home Owner Grant | State Revenue Office

You are not entitled to the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner have previously:

• Received a first-home owner grant in Australia.
    • Owned a home or other residential property in Australia, either jointly or separately, before
      1 July 2000.
    • Occupied, for a continuous period of at least six months, a home which either of you owned or part-owned on or after 1 July 2000 in Australia.

3. Hustler

Hustler Active Member

Thanks. Just this wording seems like could be as was only in the property in question for a short time:

You may still be eligible for the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner purchased a property on or after 1 July 2000 and have not lived there as your home.

4. Curious2019

I believe they are each seperate points. You have already received a grant, therefore not eligible.
    If it was that simple as moving states, lots of people would be moving interstate to take advantage of first home buyer grants.

craigc and Ben20 like this.
  5. offwhite

offwhite Member

Hi Hustler/Curious2019,

If someone already owns a titled or untitled land.Then purchases another (2nd) titled land to build house on it.Would he still be eligible?

Because Victorian govt website mentioned you are NOT eligible if you

Owned a home or other residential property in Australia, either jointly or separately, prior to 1 July 2000.

I am not sure if "other residential property" also includes land"

@Hustler ; @Curious2019

Thanks heaps

6. Curious2019

Hi @offwhite,

If you have not claimed the FHOG grant previously and you have not lived in a property that you owned for a minimum of six months since 2000, then you should be able to claim the FHOG. You will need to live on the constructed property for 12 months starting within 12 months of completion of the construction to maintain your eligibility.

I believe the FHOG is paid when you get your construction loan and pay the first instalment to the builder.

I would not think vacant land would be considered residential property.

Hope that helps!

Lindsay_W likes this.
  7. offwhite

offwhite Member

Thanks Curious2019. It makes sense.

Curious2019 likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I always love how the copy paste works to include the rules but just under it is always the bit nobody reads :

You may still be eligible for the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner purchased property on or after 1 July 2000 and have not lived there as your home.

A building contract can complicate things and slow up the grant but using the right lender can also simplify it. In the case of the entering into of a comprehensive building contract, as at the date on which the building is ready for occupation as a place of residence (this generally occurs when the construction of the home is completed). n the majority of cases, the bank or credit union that is providing your finance (see the list of approved agents) will lodge the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) application form on your behalf. Make sure you check with them that they are lodging it for you. If you require the grant for settlement or first draw down/progress payment, you must lodge your application with an approved agent. (See link above)

May also attract duty, HomeBuilder or other grants which each have distinct rules. One of the best sources of info is to call OSR Vic and discuss the exact cirumstances - The staff should be accepting calls but a online request may assist for call back. Some of the faster call backs seem to occur during lockdown

Contact us | State Revenue Office