VIC FHB which suburb to buy for around 800k?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Aegis, 31st May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which side (please clarify which suburb in comments):

1. North

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  2. South West

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. South East

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. Aegis

Aegis New Member

I'm a FHB and looking around to buy a house. The budget is around 800k, but can easily stretch it a bit to 850k.

I'm a bit overwhelmed on options on which suburbs to buy in.

Things I'm looking for (ranked via importance):
    1. Safety
    2. Public transport via train
    3. Traffic via freeway for work, or to schools
    4. Good schools
    I'm a pretty boring person, so I only need internet to keep me entertained. No need for bars, cafes. Parks are nice and just some grocery shopping is good enough for me.

The areas I'm looking at are:
    • North (Thomastown, Mill Park, Epping, South Morang etc.)
    • South west (Altona meadows, Laverton, Werribee etc.)
    • South east (Noble park, Dandenong etc.)
    The west side (Sunshine, St Albans, Keilor Park) are no's for me since I'm done living here.

I'm just lost for choice. I don't think anyone would say these are great suburbs, but not being able to afford 1mil+ houses, I don't have much of a choice.

Which of these suburb would be great for a first home buyer, looking to start a family and looking to live in that house for about 10 years?

2. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

I think you need to do lots of research to get to know the different areas you are considering. Go to the shopping centres & parks to see if it feels right for you.
    Take the train or drive on the freeway at peak times so you can see what the commute will be like. The right place for one person could be terrible for another.

Do you have family/friends that you would like to be near? Can they help guide you through the process?

3. Andy2022

Andy2022 Well-Known Member

You could consider Frankston, Frankston high is one of the best schools, plus you have the beach and the parks the train line...grocery...almost everything around

4. Von H

Von H Member

I was in a similar boat to you this time last year, and was looking at the same areas. I ended up buying in the South-West (Seabrook), so I can comment on the above from my perspective.

1. Safety - Very low crime rates. Always walk my dog at night and have never felt unsafe.
    2. Public transport via train - Aircraft and Laverton station are both quite easy to get to via car (4 minutes for the former, 6 minutes for the latter) or bus, but from my pocket of Seabrook it's about a 25 min walk (so proximity to stations is decent but could be better)
    3. Traffic via freeway for work, or to schools - The traffic on the Westgate is hell on earth, but due to being so close to the CBD the commute doesn't take as long as it would from the north. On a typical day, it takes me approx 45 minutes to get to work in South Melbourne, less on Monday's and Fridays (35-40 mins).
    4. Good schools - Seabrook Primary School is one of the best public primary schools in the West. In terms of secondary schools, the ones really close by aren't rated so highly, but Westbourne Grammar School in Truganina is about a 10 min drive without traffic and is the one of the best schools in Melbourne.
    My partner and I were originally quite sure we were going to end up in the Epping/Mill Park area, but the latter went crazy in price and both spots are quite a bit further out than where we ended up buying, so we're very happy with our decision!

Hope this helps!

5. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

If you choose to include the leafy east in your search, you could have a sniff about in Mooroolbark and Kilsyth.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Safe from....?
    1. insurrections
    2. rabid dogs
    3. killer kangaroos
    4. loud neighbours
    5. bushfires
    6. property investors?

The Y-man

R R likes this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Ya forgot foaming at the mouth Sash:p:D

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

South Morang/Epping is well served by the train and buses (and pretty safe AFAIK from the time I spent their) but at peak, by the time you get to the freeway, it will be the next day.... I don't know where you work, but PTV is the best option unless you work near the airport or out in the east.

The Y-man

9. codeninja

codeninja Well-Known Member

There is a new house opened for auction in the boulevard thomosatown advertised around 800k. Corner block.

10. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Resale value should always be considered, so factors like good schools, public transport, shopping strips and parks being nearby, and staying away from main roads, are important for your future buyer or tenant (even if they are not important to you now).