FHB - Inspection and Buying process?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by GiantMoustache, 22nd Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. GiantMoustache

GiantMoustache Member

Hi PropertyChat guru's!

Looking for advice and experiences on the inspection/buying process and the must-know's for first home buyers. Lots of information overload on the internet (sometimes contradicting) and hoping you all can tailor something a little closer to my circumstances.

I Intend on purchasing either a newly built apartment (ready to move into) or new-ish (<5 years old). Pre-approval is being lodged with a broker and my budget is 650-700k. I'll be privately inspecting a place tomorrow to start and get a bit of experience with agent rapport. Also plan on attending some open's when possible.

1. When we inspect places - what should you be looking for? Should we be getting building/pest inspections (if I like the place) to do any kind of error work, even in a new apartment building? Is there anything specific I should be asking during the inspection?

2. Does the inspection/negotiation process with an agent change between an apartment with no prior ownership and one has already had an owner?

3. The agent asked "what price range we're working with?". I politely kept the answer vague without any numbers involved, as I've read this can spoil negotiating power. Was this the correct move? Are there any other things I should be wary of?

4. What is the process for purchasing an apartment after I've secured a pre-approval and found something I like?

Thank you all in advance.

2. GiantMoustache

GiantMoustache Member

4. What is the process for purchasing an apartment after I've secured a pre-approval and found something I like?

I've stumbled across this which answers my own question :D - Buying a House in NSW: A How to Guide

3. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Have you considered using a Buyers Agent?

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.