Fermented Garlic Cloves

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by alexm, 26th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Looks perfect! My raised garden beds are full of frangipani, actually my whole yard is. I think I’ll need to start by planting most at my daughters house until I can dig up some frangipani next season. We have the dreaded chilli thrip at my house that destroyed my chilli and herbs. I think my strawberries got too shaded from frangipani.

Stoffo likes this.
  2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Might also be worth scoping out all things "marinated garlic" and "garlic infused". I have seen plenty of fancy looking olive oils at farmers.markets with garlic cloves and so on in them.

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

As long as it's planted by end of June you'll be right

Propin likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Though is the Perth climate different to coastal NSW?

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Not really. It's more the tropical climate means one has to select particular tropical species, as they don't have a cold season

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Great idea! My friend’s mum does a marinated olive and garlic. When I bought one of my rentals there was a tiny self seeded tree growing. Now it’s a massive olive tree full of olives going to waste! 0D6FEB50-69C0-4754-AE0A-19C16FB7D132.png

Antoni0 likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Oh yum - easy to pickle olives, but is time consuming (hence meditative). Just don't be to heavy handed on the salt, as I was the first year

Propin likes this.
  8. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Sorry for the basic question, but what’s the purpose of fermented garlic over regular? Health benefits?

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Health - taste (very umami) - and long storage

Shazz@ likes this.
  10. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

@Lizzie Should I be chucking manure on top? I checked on a few and they have a small root system. The soil is quite sandy though.

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

They are hungry feeders, so even more important with all this leeching rain. And keep most but not wet (Not so important on the east coast atm)

Propin likes this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Hi Lizzie, what do you think of this planting space and conditions? I only just chucked cow manure on today and I planted in full sun. Do they prefer sun or shade? When would you fertilise again? 95B6E484-9036-41F2-8B26-706F58F33A57.jpeg

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

They are sun lovers. Make sure you keep them well watered and try an all purpose vege garden fertilizer ... perhaps a good few handfuls of the slow release round beads. And mulch!

This is part of my crop (poked in all around the garden) from 4 weeks ago ... planted in late April from last year's crop bulbs ... they'll harvest in another couple of months, although small bulbs tend to harvest earlier. Garlic normally takes 6 months to grow and mature ... and can be rather forlorn the first year, if not acclimatised to your area (I planted some bought from a local fruit vendor and they're looking a bit sad like yours)

20220807_140131.jpg

20220807_140116.jpg

Propin likes this.
  14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think mine are about 8 weeks in now and looking sad at my daughters house. A bit yellow. I planted about 6 cloves at my house 10 weeks ago, they are in more fertile soil and about an hour of sun - greener then at my daughters house - if we get warmer weather this week they may get through but they are looking a bit sludgey

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Mine are in 1/2 metre deep mushroom compost (truck loads of it) over a sandy base, mulched and occasional seaweed watering. And consequently, going from none, to worms as fat as snakes.

Take it as a learning curve for next year ... work to enrich the soil before planting - sunny - mulch - moist but not wet - and plant a little earlier with locally sourced bulbs (or save what you can from this year's crop when it harvests) ... your whole garden will love you for it and rotate with legumes

20220819_233246.jpg

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2022
  16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Fantastic, thanks, I will do! The worms at my daughters house are tiny! Definitely needs improvement! We bury our vege scraps at my house. The worms are big but look small compared to yours! Maybe 2/3 the size. We’ve just bought a double compost tumbler. Should help!

Lizzie likes this.