Fengshui or other superstition...

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Ouchmyknees, 13th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

For your Sunday afternoon entertainment.

We saw a really great house yesterday in terms of size and floor plan but the fengshui is absolutely terrible. It is in a position called "scissors evil spirit", see photo, meaning the house is at an acute angle between two roads (most corner houses are at 90 degree angle). According to Fengshui, people living in this kind of house will have really bad luck such as accident or bad relationship between husband and wife etc. My partner thinks (and rightly so) this is utter BS but I was brought up believing in fengshui so big no no for me.
    Anybody else believe in fengshui or any other superstition in terms of the location or lay out of the house? We can have a fun discussion :).

Attached Files:

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Nope.

But some places/layouts do feel nicer than others.

inertia, Joynz, wylie and 2 others like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Ouchmyknees - Plant a few mirrors, hang a few trees, shift a few red walls and Bob's your dragon.

She'll be right (just negotiate a good price).

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2016
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Whether you believe in it or not, when it comes time to sell, some potential buyers will not buy for the same reasons your partner is expressing now.

5. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Many of my properties are bought with ni bees considered lucky by Chinese. So for example I have an apartment with a unit number 88 or a house with street address 8. These aspects may really help when it comes to maximum value on any future sale.

Colin Rice and Ouchmyknees like this.
  6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Maybe you should consider a second opinion from a witch doctor...

7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't believe in the philosophy of feng shui in terms of luck etc. However, from a pragmatic point of view, I share a lot in common with the principles. Such as, it's bad to have a house at the head of a T junction. I agree. I would not feel safe living there. There are loads of examples where I agree with the principles but I have different reasoning.

8. Ouchmyknees

This is a good one! I have a funny story. Chinese considers number 4 unlucky as it rhymes with "death" in Chinese. A vendor wants to attract Chinese buyers so he changed his street number from 4 to 2B but that completely backfired as "2B" rhymes with "stupid c&@t" in Chinese. Lol laughed my pants off when I heard it. :D

charttv and Perthguy like this.
  9. Perthguy

They probably have good feng shui ;)

But I have noticed the same thing. I think we react physically to different environments. Some make us feel relaxed, others make us feel anxious. I don't know why

Ouchmyknees, Bran and Sackie like this.
  10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

ugh - drives me nuts. My wife believes houses situated on corners are bad luck (not sure if its feng shui or just Russian superstition?'). But I love the convienience of corner sites.
    Unfortunatly there are a number of these which she has, which basically rules out half the houses in Australia as potential.

Blacky

11. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Correct re 4. And actually I avoid buying anything with a 4 in it, again for this reason.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  12. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

I don't follow feng shui - but like Perthguy - there are a lot of houses that I just don't even look at due to location. Like corner blocks - I don't like them. Head of a T junction - won't consider them. Nor the houses one on each side of the house at the head of the T junction. Main Road - no chance. Backing onto a main road - no way.

Really I just think I am super fussy. And this might go a long way to explaining why I am still looking for my first IP. :)

Ouchmyknees and Perthguy like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Gotta keep emotions out of it imo. Numbers and potential . Pure business transaction.

Ouchmyknees and Scott No Mates like this.
  14. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I use a lot of feng shui principles as I think they are really good sense dressed up with superstition.

Just make sure you use Aussie Feng Shui when it comes to compass directions. In China the Phoenix, representing the sun, is in the south. Of course in Australia the sun is in the north.

Other aspects are really just a bit of fun and playing with peoples expectations. We have had delivery men tell us, after seeing lion dogs at the front door, they didn't expect to see our European appearance.

bondibch, Spiderman, inertia and 3 others like this.
  15. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

@sharon , good point.

I am a Chinese person, I do not pay much attention to feng shui and find the whole feng shui thing unbelievable. Not all Chinese people consider feng shui as a top priority when buying. but I do agree these T junction, backing onto a main road are not good choices.

MikeyBallarat and pianissimo like this.
  16. Ouchmyknees

Watched 60 minutes just now about the special on the Gold Coast Tinder-date-turned-horror. I googled the address of the building where the poor girl jumped and it turns out that building has really bad fengshui.
    See the photo, there are two rivers both showing the shape of an bow and the building is right in the middle of the two bows as the arrows will be shoot to it. In Fengshui it is called "reverse bow evil spirit", usually one bow is bad enough, having two is just horrible.
    (Again I know this is a lot of BS. :p)

Attached Files:

17. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Do I like Feng Shui?
    I don't like properties that flood,
    T intersections,
    electricity poles that block views,
    and
    huge drains nearby.
    for me it depends on the practical reasons
    I started reading about Feng Shui and discovered that all the things I don't like are all the things Feng Shui don't like as well?

pianissimo, Ouchmyknees and Perthguy like this.
  18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Agree with others that a lot of it is practical and aesthetics anyway IMHO.

eg.
    views
    high side of the road (rise to the back)
    fruit trees in the garden
    water feature

Our PPOR seems to have been built by an FS fanatic (Italian by the way!) and also includes:
    - curved path to front door, going past water feature
    - tortuous path between front and back door - including mutliple doors (a bit of a pain when trying to get big pieces of furniture through)
    - wind chimes and crystals in the bedrooms (they are still there 10 years later!)
    - coins hanging off the front door knob (not sure about this one!)
    - internal stairs offset from front entry

I'm sure there are other "hidden" features. Must get a geomancy compass.....

The Y-man

Ouchmyknees, Perthguy and EN710 like this.
  19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Some people know the minute you walk in a house ,one we have bought a long time ago from an old Greek Man ,,above the back door and front door is three old Australian pennies never touched them as there is a copper nail through the centre of each one ,asked the Father if he wanted them all he said they have bought my family luck just leave them where they are ,another house one Man hung himself in the hall way over 50 years ago,a high set and have worked under that house a few times was there one day on a ladder then there is a massive thud upstairs ,i thought a carpet snake had come out through the air vent that i opened ,,went up stairs the dogs would not go inside the house,walked in nothing had that house blessed by the local Priest and a Monk ,every house is different.

Ouchmyknees likes this.
  20. Perthguy

I wonder about this. Some places just feel so nice and relaxing and other places I inspect are so uninviting I don't want to go past the first room. What is it about some houses that I would love to live there and others I don't even want to walk into? The other big question is whether someone else will react the same to a place I find nice and to a place I find nasty? (i.e. is it individual taste or a universal truth).

I bought a great "vibe" place for my first PPoR years ago. I loved living there even though it wasn't at all special. I can't say why I liked it so much. I just found it really nice and relaxing to live in. I had a few people stay with me over the years and comment the same thing. My sister has a house in Adelaide that is the same. It's so nice to live in even though it is a run down old dump. Most of my family have stayed there and we all like it.

I don't know why it is. Maybe they are built on lay lines? ;) :)

pianissimo and Ouchmyknees like this.